[net.tv.drwho] STRANGE news on CANCELLATION FRONT...

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (05/30/85)

I found these VERY INTERESTING messages in net.sf-lovers.
HOW MUCH TRUTH IS IN THEM?????

From: Alan Greig <CCD-ARG%dct@ucl-cs.arpa>

The BBC has partially relented on its shelving of Dr. Who and will now
produce a radio series for transmission later this year with the current
tv cast playing the parts. The tv version is still scheduled to return next
year.

			Alan
From: Hank Shiffman <Shiffman@WHITE.SWW.Symbolics.COM>

From the Sunday, 26 May Los Angeles Times:

    "Dr. Who," the long-running science fiction series, has been rescued
from extinction.  The BBC canceled the series in February in an economy
move, but an outcry from fans as far afield as Australia has forced the
BBC to revive the show, albeit with an entirely new cast -- including a
replacement for Colin Baker, the sixth actor to portray the time-
traveling doctor.

    Production resumes in January, so American addicts won't be affected
by the pause, said an official of Lionheart Television, which syndicates
the show to 147 markets in America (it airs locally each Saturday at 1
p.m. on KCET Channel 28).  There are 470 half-hours in U.S. circulation,
with 20 coming that have already aired in the U.K.

If either/both of these are true, it/they is/are EXTREMELY INTERESTING.

However, I can't quite imagine a radio show, and I thought Colin
had a contract going on for quite some time.

Wassa story?
                                         A. G. Percus
                                  (ARPA) percus@acf4
                                   (NYU) percus.acf4
                                  (UUCP) ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (06/04/85)

I have not heard of any changes in cast on Doctor Who, and as of the
last time I saw JNT, (25 May in London) everybody is coming back
for the series in Autumn, 1986.  (Nicola Bryant may still be marginal,
I am not sure.  If she does not continue, I would hope that they at
least give her a "departure" story at the beginning of the new season.)

There will be a radio show on Radio Four this summer with Colin Baker
and Nicola Bryant, with JNT producing.  There will be 6 ten minute
episodes, and it will apparently be a script that went unused from
the past season (Space Whale???).

--
James C Armstrong, Jnr.   ihnp4!abnji!nyssa

The Boss gave me one of these, ten seconds, he said.  Let's see
if it works...

brown@nicmad.UUCP (06/07/85)

In article <670@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
>I have not heard of any changes in cast on Doctor Who, and as of the
>last time I saw JNT, (25 May in London) everybody is coming back
>for the series in Autumn, 1986.  (Nicola Bryant may still be marginal,
>I am not sure.  If she does not continue, I would hope that they at
>least give her a "departure" story at the beginning of the new season.)

I too had reservations about the LA Times article.  So, this morning I called
the Dr Who production office in London.  I talked to a secretary there and
she told me that the whole staff and cast will be back.  That includes
Colin Baker and Nicola Byrant.  Production will not start in January, but
will sometime next year.  She didn't know when.

I hope this helps.  What I would like to know is where the LA Times got the
bummer information!
--
              |------------|
              | |-------| o|    JVC HRD725U
Mr. Video     | |       | o|  |--------------|
              | |       |  |  | |----| o o o |
              | |-------| O|  |--------------|
              |------------|     VHS Hi-Fi (the only way to go)
   ({!seismo,!ihnp4}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!brown)

acsgjjp@sunybcs.UUCP (Skywise the Elf) (06/17/85)

[If you misbehave once more, K-9, I'll send you off to Barbara Woodhouse.]

> ... and it will apparently be a script that went unused from
> the past season (Space Whale???).

It was announced at last year's Panopticon West (I won't be able to attend this
year's Time Festival in New Orleans, sorry to say) that "The Space Whale" was
going to be one of the stories for 22nd season.  I've been wondering what
happened to that story.  Perhaps the bowl of petunias demanded equal
billing.  :-)

(I would have posted this earlier, but our news was being worked on.)
--
"As you listen...to the following...for your imagination's sake...turn off
the lights, if it's dark out.  Or close your eyes, if it's light...(unless

From the House on the Knoll, not far from the Holt...
Jim Poltrone  (a/k/a Poltr1, the Last of the Raster Blasters)
uucp: [decvax,watmath,rocksvax]!sunybcs!acsgjjp
ARPAnet, CSnet: acsgjjp%buffalo@CSNET-RELAY         BITNET:  ACSGJJP@SUNYABVA