[net.tv.drwho] The one and ONLY true doctor

johnw@astroatc.UUCP (06/27/85)

I know that there have been several attempts to play the
good Dr. but only one truly succeded.
.
.
Yes, friends, I'm talking about Tom Baker.  Dr. Who is tall,
has lots of curly brown hair ***AND*** a ***VERY*** LONG SCARF!
(ie, on scarf->not a real Dr.)

Well Peter Davis and the Celery are good as far a imposters are
conserened, but Pertwee (or his writers) tried to be to hard-core
SF.  (The fun, for me atleast, is to argue over how much (i mean
little) was spent on any given effect. Tom Baker Who's are
great for this, and for having Dr. Who parties!)

The Key to Time is the perfect marathon prarty show!

The ultimite Dr. Who scheme is in (The Face of Evil?) the one were
he first meets Leela the Huntress.....She's near him, and there's about
10-12 guys with cross-bows and lots of weapons, *ALL* aimed at the
point between his eyes....He reaches into a small bag, removes
a colored object, graps Leela, points it at (touching) her throat,
and says "Drop you weapons, or I'll kill her with this deadly jelly
babie!"

Only Tom Baker, the REAL Dr., could do that sceen!

		John Waradle
		any civilized machine!uwvax!astroatc!johnw

	To err is human, to realy foul-up world news requires the net.

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (06/27/85)

> ...but Pertwee (or his writers) tried to be to hard-core SF.

Maybe his writers, but I know that Jon Pertwee did NOT like to
have too much sci-fi in it.  He preferred the scenes with loads
of gadgets and machines that do strange things:  his favorite
act was probably when he rode a motorcycle in "The Daemons," and
jumped of it while it was speeding (a stunt man did not do this --
Pertwee did it himself).

But I think you'll see much of Tom Baker's irrationality in
Colin Baker (from the one story I've seen -- Attack of the
Cybermen).  I agree that, among the first five doctors, the
personality is very unique to Tom Baker.
                                         A. G. Percus
                                  (ARPA) percus@acf4
                                   (NYU) percus.acf4
                                  (UUCP) ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus

okamoto@ucbvax.ARPA (Jeff Okamoto) (06/29/85)

In article <160@astroatc.UUCP>, johnw@astroatc.UUCP writes:
> The ultimite Dr. Who scheme is in (The Face of Evil?) the one were
> he first meets Leela the Huntress...She's near him, and there's about
> 10-12 guys with cross-bows and lots of weapons, *ALL* aimed at the
> point between his eyes....He reaches into a small bag, removes
> a colored object, graps Leela, points it at (touching) her throat,
> and says "Drop you weapons, or I'll kill her with this deadly jelly
> babie!"
> 		John Waradle
> 		any civilized machine!uwvax!astroatc!johnw

Actually, in the scene where this occurred, Leela was NOT in it.
The Doctor had been captured and he wanted to be taken to their leader.
They refused and so he did the famous line, holding the jelly baby on
one of his captors.  The leader said,  "Kill him then."  Doctor:
"What?"  Leader: "Kill him."  Doctor: "I don't take orders from anyone.
<Bites jelly baby>  Now please take me to your leader."

Jeff Okamoto
okamoto@BERKELEY.ARPA
..!ucbvax!okamoto

bstempleton@watmath.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (06/30/85)

While Tom Baker remains my favourite, partially for lines such as the
one about the Jelly Babies in "Face of Evil", I feel you have maligned
the other actors.  (Except for Davison 8-) )

All the actors have had the main central characteristic of the Doctor  -
irreverence for protocol and pomposity.  Other characteristics, also
common, are a love of truth, intense curiousity, and except for Hartnell
a generally warm-hearted nature.

All that aside, C. Baker and Troughton would have been quite in character
threatening somebody with a jelly baby.  Pertwee would have been less
in character, but he had his own way of expressing the Doctor's traits.
Watch him in "Spearhead from Space", "The Green Death" and many others.
-----------

Was Tom Baker your first doctor?  A line like "the doctor must have curly
hair and a scarf" suggests this.  Baker did things very well, but the
others took things well in their own directions, and deserve credit.
Baker stood on their shoulders.   Only Davison failed, because he could
not stand on Baker's shoulders like Baker had stood on those before him.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software, Waterloo, Ont. (519) 884-7473

sdh@alice.UUCP (Steve Hawley) (06/30/85)

Minor correction:

Peter Davison, not Peter Davis (or Peter Davidson for that matter).

S. Hawley
alice!sdh

eric@parallel.uucp (Eric Griswold) (07/01/85)

In article <15513@watmath.UUCP> bstempleton@watmath.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>                                  Only Davison failed, because he could
>not stand on Baker's shoulders like Baker had stood on those before him.
>--
>Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software, Waterloo, Ont. (519) 884-7473

**** FLAME WARNING ****

Why the hell do people pick on Davison so much!?!   Some of the
Davison episodes were outstanding: Earthshock and Planet of Fire
immediately come to mind.  As far as poor episodes, I'd rather have
to sit through Black Orchid again than have to watch Baker's Underworld
a second time.  I think that everyone favors Tom Baker, but this
is NO bloody reason to say that Davison failed.

**** FLAME OFF ****

Whew!  That's been sitting in my system for a while.  It is not
directed at just you, Brad, but anyone else who rags on Davison.

					ucbvax!sun!parallel!eric
					hplabs!pesnta!parallel!eric

kek@mgweed.UUCP (Kit Kimes) (07/02/85)

My first Doctor was Tom Baker.  I started watching the show in about
1980 and for a couple of years all we saw was Tom Baker new or re-run
shows.  When we heard through the 'grapevine' that he was going to
regenerate and be replaced we were horrified.  We couldn't believe that
he would be replaced so soon (for us anyway).  Fortunately, they replayed
all his old shows and that made me feel better.

It wasn't until about 2 years ago that I got to see the older Pertwee
shows.  I wasn't too impressed although I wasn't disappointed.  We have
now had a chance to see them twice and I found that I liked him a lot
better the second time I saw his shows.  I haven't seen any of the
Hartnell or Troughten shows but I now fell that Pertwee is second only
to Tom Baker for me and not by that much.  Maybe some of his shows were
a little hokey but some of the moments were really touching.  I almost
cried when Jo Grant left.  I think Pertwee showed more feeling for her
that Tom Baker did for any of his companions when they left.

I didn't care much for Peter Davison as the Doctor, although I like him
as an actor.  He just never seemed to show enough of a serious nature
even when the scene seemed to call for it.  I hope that some day, we
here in Chicago (a big Dr. Who market) will get to see some of the
older series as well.  Anyone know for sure?

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T Consumer Products
					Montgomery Works
					Montgomery, Il. 60538-0305
					..!ihnp4!mgweed!kek

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (07/03/85)

The one and ONLY true Doctor?  (Note capitalization, it is what he uses
as his name.)

That is simple...

#######                         ######
   #     #    #  ######         #     #   ####    ####    #####   ####   #####
   #     #    #  #              #     #  #    #  #    #     #    #    #  #    #
   #     ######  #####          #     #  #    #  #          #    #    #  #    #
   #     #    #  #              #     #  #    #  #          #    #    #  #####
   #     #    #  #              #     #  #    #  #    #     #    #    #  #   #
   #     #    #  ######         ######    ####    ####      #     ####   #    #

Simple enough.

My favourite portrayal?  Well, I have to agree with Brigadier Alastair
Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart:  Splendid chap, all of them.

A preference on which to see:

1.  Trevor Martin  (7th Doctor)
2.  William Hartnell  (I've seen so little of him.)
3.  Patrick Troughton  (In two weeks, I will have seen all that is left
	of him.)
4.  Colin Baker
5.  Jon Pertwee
6.  Peter Davison
7.  Tom Baker
8.  Richard Hurndall
9.  Peter Cushing

Is that what is meant?
--
James C Armstrong, Jnr.   ihnp4!abnji!nyssa

"I know a computer when I talk to one."  -The Doctor.  (Anybody know
which episode???)

maddog@tolerant.UUCP (Bill Arnett) (07/04/85)

I'm glad there's someone else out there that doesn't dislike Davison.

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (07/05/85)

> I know that there have been several attempts to play the
> good Dr. but only one truly succeded.
> Yes, friends, I'm talking about Tom Baker...

If you want it that way, maybe you should go a bit further:
Tom Baker was not even a true Doctor until after his second season --
he became the "truest" Doctor during the Key-to-Time quest.
Of course, what I just wrote is the most opinionated information
in the cosmos, but so be it.
                                         A. G. Percus
                                  (ARPA) percus@acf4
                                   (NYU) percus.acf4
                                  (UUCP) ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus

              "What's that?" [Pointing to K-9]
              "Oh, they're all the latest fashion in Trenton,
               New Jersey..."
                                  [Name the episode]

frodo@wcom.UUCP (Jim Scardelis) (07/08/85)

> I'm glad there's someone else out there that doesn't dislike Davison.

     For awhile, Davison was my favorite Doctor.
--
				Jim Scardelis
uucp: {vax135|ihnp4}!timeinc!wcom!frodo

ftsjmd@ncsu.UUCP (Mike Davis) (07/10/85)

<>

A few days ago I also added to the fun of who is the best Doctor.
I thought I posted the remarks, but I have not seen them on the net,
and there is no record of it in my directory.  I can only guess that
somehow I hit the reply key instead of the follow-up key.  So if
any of you have a rather lengthy discourse on The one and ONLY true
Doctor from me in your mail box then please disregard it.

Thanks

Mike
Davis

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (07/12/85)

> I know that there have been several attempts to play the
> good Dr. but only one truly succeded.
> .
> .
> Yes, friends, I'm talking about Tom Baker.  Dr. Who is tall,
> has lots of curly brown hair ***AND*** a ***VERY*** LONG SCARF!
> (ie, on scarf->not a real Dr.)

Come to think of it, having seen a few Colin Bakers, I have to
disagree with you.

*SPOILER APPROACHING*

*SPOILER, 500 YARDS*

*SPOILER, 100 FEET*

*SPOILER*

In "Attack of the Cybermen,"  when the Doctor (colin baker) fixes
up the chameleon circuits, the TARDIS, at one point, materializes
in the shape of an organ.  The Doctor comes out, plays a few bars
of "Tacotta and Fugue" on the organ, then walks away with the
rest of Bach's music playing in the background.

*CRITICAL AND DEBATEABLE (sp?) LINE APPROACHING*

ONLY THE REAL DOCTOR COULD DO THAT!
         ----

*END WARNING ZONE*
                                         A. G. Percus
                                  (ARPA) percus@acf4
                                   (NYU) percus.acf4
                                  (UUCP) ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus

         I can't think of a quote.

edtking@uw-june (Ewan Tempero) (07/19/85)

I've just seen the Caves of Andorwhatsit for the first time.
Impressions so far

Peri: Not impressed ( after 1 story ). She's TOO american. ( I'm not
      saying I don't like americans but she goes a bit far. I guess
      that's how most of us foreigners see you :-)

Colin Baker: I took a distinct dislike to him after his first sentence.
	     I'm looking forward to revising this impression but
	     unfortunately that may be a looong time coming.

I quite liked Davidson but I have only vague memories of the earlier
ones as its been sometime since I've seen them ( where I come from,
we got the 1/2 hour episodes weekly and almost immediately after
they were release in Britain.....Once ).

The request:
The station that provides my fix of the doctor refused to by the
5 Doctors. Anyone out there prepared to send me a copy? I'll pay
any reasonable costs ( and will consider unreasonable ones....it's
been sometime...:-). Thanks in advance.

--
            Ewan

Ewan Tempero                                      "Oh no, not again"
UUCP: ...!uw-beaver!uw-june!edtking    ARPA: edtking@washington.ARPA
Please check all nuclear arms at the door.