[net.tv.drwho] SciFi gripe Re "Four to Doomsday"

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (07/08/85)

I found this note in net.sf-lovers.  It may be of some interest to
the Dr. Who community:

There is one segment of a Dr Who episode that has been bothering me for
some time.  Usually Dr Who has imaginitive (sp?) scripts and well thought
stories.  The sf isn't hard core but when they show something it usually
is correct, or good enough that I would allow them "poetic license".
Example: the episode Enlightment, dumb premise, a yacht race in space,
but the explaination of the wind being the solar wind and the gravity
of the planets providing the force to steer against the wind was quite
good.  What gets me is Four to Doomsday, where the Doctor is stranded
in space midway between another space craft and his Tardis.  He pulls
a cricket ball out of his pocket and throws it at the space ship, when
he catches it on the rebound he has the momentum to reach his Tardis.
He should have also gotten some momentum from throwing the ball!!!
If the writers had figured out the solar sailing business I would have
thought they would have figured this out too.

Mike
Davis

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately...), I missed "Four to Doomsday"
and "Kinda", so I can't comment.
                                         A. G. Percus
                                  (ARPA) percus@acf4
                                   (NYU) percus.acf4
                                  (UUCP) ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus

             "I wouldn't do that...well, for one thing, it wouldn't
              be cricket..."
                                             [Name the Episode]

ftsjmd@ncsu.UUCP (Mike Davis) (07/09/85)

<>

Thanks for posting that here for me, I would have done it myself but
it slipped my mind.

Mike
Davis

I am better at character trivia, so here is an easy one.
  Name another episode that had the actor who played Li Hsen Chang
  in The Talons of Weng Chiang.  (it's a pertwee episode)

dturner@saber.UUCP (David Turner) (07/13/85)

> <>
>
> Thanks for posting that here for me, I would have done it myself but
> it slipped my mind.
>
> Mike
> Davis
>
> I am better at character trivia, so here is an easy one.
>   Name another episode that had the actor who played Li Hsen Chang
>   in The Talons of Weng Chiang.  (it's a pertwee episode)

on my tape if you look closely he dose
drift back a little when he throws the ball

     *  oh dreddle gruntbuggly thy mictuations are to me *
     *  as plurdled garblebotchits on a lurgid be        *

Name:	David Turner
Mail:	6259 Rainbow dr , San Jose, California 95129
AT&T:	(408) 725-1974
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!saber!dturner
	...{amd,ihnp4,ittvax}!saber!dturner

none of the views posted reflect the
views of SABER TECH. or it's employees

ftsjmd@ncsu.UUCP (Mike Davis) (07/16/85)

<>
Yes, I agree that he does accelerate a little when he throws it,
but he accelerates MUCH faster when he catches it.

Mike
Davis

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (07/23/85)

In article <2896@ncsu.UUCP> ftsjmd@ncsu.UUCP (Mike Davis) writes:
><>
>Yes, I agree that he does accelerate a little when he throws it,
>but he accelerates MUCH faster when he catches it.
>
>Mike
>Davis

I thought it was because of the extra kinetic energy imparted to the
ball by the ship's shields.

Hutch