[net.tv.drwho] Probably some old news

acsgjjp@sunybcs.UUCP (Jim Poltrone) (07/16/85)

I saw this in yesterday's (i.e. Mon. Jul. 15) Buffalo News, in Gail Shister's
column (from Knight-Ridder Syndicate):

>   Good news, "Dr. Who" freaks.  Thanks to a worldwide outcry from fans of the
> long-running sci-fi series, the British Broadcasting Corp.  has decided to
> reverse its February cancellation order.  Production resumes in January.
>   This time around, there will be a new cast -- including a replacement
> for Colin Baker, the sixth Dr. Who.  Meanwhile, there are 470 "Dr. Who"
> episodes in U. S. circulation, with 20 more on the way that have already
> aired in England.  Jolly good.

Obviously, this columnist knows NOTHING about science-fiction fandom.
Freaks?  "Dr. Who" (as opposed to "Doctor Who")?  But it is significant
because it is the first thing I've seen in this city's newspaper (which is
not one of my favorite papers, by the way).   They'd be more interested in
reporting on what's happening with "Dynasty" or "Dallas".  And so would the
columnist.

Now for the contents:  We already know the show will be coming back.  But
how long will it last after next season is still up in the air, as far as I
know.  And as for Colin leaving, I think I've heard that rumor before.
I wonder whose decision it was to "force" another regeneration.  Besides, it's
much too soon.  One year as the Doctor?  Come on, now, that's not long enough.
Keep him until after the Silver Jubilee (in 1988), at the very least.
--
"As you listen...to the following...for your imagination's sake...turn off
the lights, if it's dark out.  Or close your eyes, if it's light...(unless

From the House on the Knoll, not far from the Holt...
Jim Poltrone  (a/k/a Poltr1, the Last of the Raster Blasters)
uucp: [decvax,watmath,rocksvax]!sunybcs!acsgjjp
ARPAnet, CSnet: acsgjjp%buffalo@CSNET-RELAY         BITNET:  ACSGJJP@SUNYABVA

gordon@uw-june (Jamie Green) (07/20/85)

acsgjjp@sunybcs.UUCP (Jim Poltrone @ SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science) writes:
> I saw this in yesterday's (i.e. Mon. Jul. 15) Buffalo News, in Gail Shister's
> column (from Knight-Ridder Syndicate):

> > Good news, "Dr. Who" freaks.  Thanks to a worldwide outcry from fans of the
> > long-running sci-fi series, the British Broadcasting Corp.  has decided to
> > reverse its February cancellation order.  Production resumes in January.
> >   This time around, there will be a new cast -- including a replacement
> > for Colin Baker, the sixth Dr. Who.  Meanwhile, there are 470 "Dr. Who"
> > episodes in U. S. circulation, with 20 more on the way that have already
> > aired in England.  Jolly good.

Hmm, I wonder where they got their information...  When I went to the
Portland Whovian Festival (the "travelling con" run by DWFCA), John Nathan-
Turner said that Colin was definitely coming back, and Nicola probably (I'm
sure this has been mentioned before).  And as for the cancellation, I think
we've all found out that it was never officially cancelled, just "rested"
(I have one of the BBC news reports on tape, and it never mentions cancel-
lation) for 18 months, and this plan has not been reversed.  Oh, well, I'll
probably get more information August 11, when DWFCA brings its WhoFest to
Bellingham (hoorah! finally some notice of us Washington State fans!).

			Yours in Time and Space,

   \      oo                                             uucp:
    \____|\mm         Jamie Green       {ihnp4,decvax}!uw-beaver!uw-june!gordon
    //_//\ \_\
   /   /  \/_/      The Great Green                      arpa:
  /___/_____\         Arkleseizure                gordon@uw-june.arpa
  -----------

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (07/30/85)

>> >   This time around, there will be a new cast -- including a replacement
>> > for Colin Baker, the sixth Dr. Who.  Meanwhile, there are 470 "Dr. Who"
>> > episodes in U. S. circulation, with 20 more on the way that have already
>> > aired in England.  Jolly good.
>
>Hmm, I wonder where they got their information...  When I went to the
>Portland Whovian Festival (the "travelling con" run by DWFCA), John Nathan-
>Turner said that Colin was definitely coming back, and Nicola probably (I'm
>sure this has been mentioned before).
>Jamie Green       {ihnp4,decvax}!uw-beaver!uw-june!gordon
***

I heard John-Nathan Turner talk yesterday at Timecon (San Jose), and he
said positively that both Colin and Nicola will be back.  He also stressed
that the BBC now realizes what a product they have in Doctor Who, and that
they wouldn't part with it for the world.  I guess the war's over.

Other trivia:  Turner mentioned that they had '2 or 3' offers from production
companies for a motion picture.  He said, I think, that should a movie occur,
Tom Baker would probably man the Tardis, due to his greater recognition value.
Colin then said something to the effect that he'd talk Turner out of this.
(I may have this wrong due to noise in the room.  Can anyone verify?)
--
__
	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)

jerry@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Jerry Lieberthal) (08/01/85)

> Other trivia:  Turner mentioned that they had '2 or 3' offers from production
> companies for a motion picture.  He said, I think, that should a movie occur,
> Tom Baker would probably man the Tardis, due to his greater recognition value.
> Colin then said something to the effect that he'd talk Turner out of this.
> (I may have this wrong due to noise in the room.  Can anyone verify?)
> --
> __
> 	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
> 	{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix,vecpyr,certes,isi}!wjvax!ron

HURRAH!  Just what I have been waiting for.  I hope that if the movie ever
gets off the ground that Baker does it...

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (08/05/85)

>He also stressed
>that the BBC now realizes what a product they have in Doctor Who, and that
>they wouldn't part with it for the world.  I guess the war's over.

Guess again.  The discussions in the BBC are not guaranteeing the
return of the Doctor.  No final decision has been made on the number
of episodes, but Micheal Grade and Bill Wenham desire only 14
episodes (Micheal Grade desires the return only if the new BBC
SF show flops, it sounds like it should...).  No decision will
ba made until budget time later this year.  The whole original crew
will return.

Additionally, the British government is looking into allegations
of price fixing by Micheal Grade.

More details later.
--
James C Armstrong, Jnr.   ihnp4!abnji!nyssa

"Have you no women beyond the stars?"
"I see, You have a primary and secondary reproductive cycle.  It is an
inefficient system; you should chnage it."
-Who said it, what episode?