[net.tv.drwho] How much of SHADA exists?

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (08/07/85)

]From: guy@anasazi.UUCP (Guy Finney)
]
]The film clips of Baker & Ward shown in "The Five Doctors" were
]evidently from a story in the Baker era called "Shada", which was
]never finished due to a nasty strike at the BBC at the time.
]When the strikers came back, the budget was running out so they
]decided to cut their losses & forget about completing the shooting
]of the story.  Too bad, too.  Written by Douglas Adams, it sounded
]like a good one - Shada was sort of a penal colony or something.
]Kind of like the Death Zone, another skeleton in the Time Lords' closet.

I've heard so much about "Shada" that I'd love to see it. From what I've
also heard it sounds like a great story.

Does anybody know how much of the story exists on film, regardless of how
much post-production, etc. needs to be done?

Those of us who have seen "Planet of the Daleks" and "Invasion of the
Dinosaurs" are used to seeing an incomplete Doctor Who story. Is there
enough of "Shada" in the can for, say, Lionheart to put it together into
some semblence of a coherent story. At worst, perhaps a narrator
(reminiscent of the Time-Life commercial episodes) could explain any major
missing segments.

If nothing else, it's too bad that the writers couldn't build a Colin Baker
story around it, like the Star Trek episode "The Menagerie".

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (08/09/85)

>Does anybody know how much of the story exists on film, regardless of how
>much post-production, etc. needs to be done?

Yes.  The only film that exists are the location shots, which I beleive
are less than two episodes worth (out of six).  It does include a
scene where a person is chased through Cambridge by a floating ball.

>Those of us who have seen "Planet of the Daleks" and "Invasion of the
>Dinosaurs" are used to seeing an incomplete Doctor Who story. Is there
>enough of "Shada" in the can for, say, Lionheart to put it together into
>some semblence of a coherent story. At worst, perhaps a narrator
>(reminiscent of the Time-Life commercial episodes) could explain any major
>missing segments.

Alas, no.  The pieces are too incongruous to attempt that, even with a
narrator.

>If nothing else, it's too bad that the writers couldn't build a Colin Baker
>story around it, like the Star Trek episode "The Menagerie".

I think the only way we'll see more of it is if Tom Baker choses not to
take part in the 25th anniversary special.

brown@nicmad.UUCP (08/10/85)

In article <459@moncol.UUCP> john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) writes:
[the articles basically ask why 'Shada' has never been released, even
 though pieces are missing]

The main reason that it hasn't been released is because the ONLY pieces that
the BBC got completed before the strike was the film segments.  None of the
video taping (studio work) was ever done.  Without the video tape, the
stories will be full of holes, incomplete sections, incoherent.

'Invasion...' and 'Planet...' will be complete, once I get all the sections.
As I have mentioned in previous postings, Lionheart does have all of the
episodes, but in two different formats.  A long story best dug up and read.
--
              |------------|
              | |-------| o|   HRD725U & PV9600
Mr. Video     | |AV-2010| o|   |--------------|
              | |       |  |   | |----| o o o |
              | |-------| O|   |--------------|
              |------------| VHS Hi-Fi (the only way to go)
   {seismo!uwvax!|!decvax|!ihnp4}!nicmad!brown

nomad@orstcs.UUCP (nomad) (08/14/85)

  According to the list in the back of "Dr. Who - A Celebration"
by Peter Haining (pg. 256), all of the studio and location work is
saved.

  I remember hearing somewhere that most of the filming was done, it
was mostly cut/paste work that needed to be done. Why they haven't,
I am at quite a loss to guess.

 Any other info out there?

------------------------
LEE DAMON         FidoNet: 17/1 (CastleNet) {Lee Damon,SysOp}
		  CSnet:  nomad%oregon-state@csnet-relay
                  UUCP :  {hp-pcd,tektronix}!orstcs!nomad

      "If the U.S. Mail charges for pickup, does that mean that
       U.S. Femail charges for delivery?"

       (pls. pardon typos - bad line noise problems here...)

brown@nicmad.UUCP (08/19/85)

In article <9100004@orstcs.UUCP> nomad@orstcs.UUCP (nomad) writes:

>  According to the list in the back of "Dr. Who - A Celebration"
>by Peter Haining (pg. 256), all of the studio and location work is
>saved.
>
>  I remember hearing somewhere that most of the filming was done, it
>was mostly cut/paste work that needed to be done. Why they haven't,
>I am at quite a loss to guess.
>
> Any other info out there?

I understand it as being that all of the film location work was done but
none (or very, very little) of the studio video taping was done.  That makes
for a very difficult paste job.
--

Mr. Video   {seismo!uwvax!|!decvax|!ihnp4}!nicmad!brown