[net.tv.drwho] Where does the name TARDIS come from?

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (08/10/85)

A possible explaination:

Susan is credited with coming up for the name of TARDIS from Time and
Relative Dimensions in Space.  Yet other people recognize the name,
both on Gallifrey and other planets.

Remember that the Doctor had some high role in Gallifrey society
before he left.  Could it not have been Time Capsule design?  If so,
couldn't his granddaughter have come up with a name, which because
he later kept using it became standard?

It also might explain how he could have stolen one so easily.
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"If she doesn't scream, the wedding can take place!" Doctor
"Don't I have a say in the matter?" female companion
"Be quiet" Doctor
Which companion, what story?

pjk@hou2a.UUCP (P.KEMP) (08/12/85)

First, thank you Richard (ihlpg!jcjeff) for coming to
my defense, and James (abnji!nyssa) for trying to
explain an obvious error in script continuity (I bet
it can be tough following The Doctor through time and
space for 22 years :-)].

I suppose The Doctor could have been a time capsule (*)
designer, but sometimes in the show it seems like he
doesn't understand all the workings of the TARDIS.

I guess he could have worked on earlier/later models,
or only on certain parts of the capsules and therefore
be unsure of certain things (like many designers today).

It could also be that his memory could be slipping,
with all the regenerations and the Time Lords fooling
around with it in "The War Games"/"Spearhead From Space".

It's now come to the point that The Doctor himself uses
the term "The Master's TARDIS" ugh!

James, how about talking to J N-T about this?
Maybe you can get them to change this like they
changed the "Doctor Who" credit line at the end
of the episodes.

(*) - I really hate to start another discussion
      (maybe not!), but is this the correct generic
      (short) term for the TARDIS.  It's the one I
      have adopted using myself.

      I know the capsules travel through space also,
      and that it is an "old type 40" and a "Mark I",
      but I think `time capsule' is a good, short name.

--
			Paul Kemp
			ihnp4!hou2a!pjk

pjk@hou2a.UUCP (P.KEMP) (08/12/85)

Sorry, but the side note to my last posting should
have read:

(*) - I really hate to start another discussion
      (maybe not!), but is this the correct generic
      (short) term for the TARDIS?

(I inadvertently left off the question mark at the
end of the sentence.)

--
			Paul Kemp
			ihnp4!hou2a!pjk

brown@nicmad.UUCP (08/12/85)

In article <798@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
>"If she doesn't scream, the wedding can take place!" Doctor
>"Don't I have a say in the matter?" female companion
>"Be quiet" Doctor
>Which companion, what story?

Companion: Peri (Nicola Bryant)
Story:     Timelash
--
              |------------|
              | |-------| o|   HRD725U & PV9600
Mr. Video     | |AV-2010| o|   |--------------|
              | |       |  |   | |----| o o o |
              | |-------| O|   |--------------|
              |------------| VHS Hi-Fi (the only way to go)
   {seismo!uwvax!|!decvax|!ihnp4}!nicmad!brown

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (08/13/85)

>I suppose The Doctor could have been a time capsule (*)
>designer, but sometimes in the show it seems like he
>doesn't understand all the workings of the TARDIS.

I didn't necessarily say that, just that he worked with them.

I dare say his lack of repairs could be because he was management!
After all, how many of your managers know what you're really doing!
:-) :-) :-)

>James, how about talking to J N-T about this?
>Maybe you can get them to change this like they
>changed the "Doctor Who" credit line at the end
>of the episodes.

Perhaps, but I suspect that the answer would be that TARDIS is now
associated with the Gallifreyan time capsules so much that the
change would be confusing.  Next time I see him.

--

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (08/22/85)

> A possible explaination:
>
> Susan is credited with coming up for the name of TARDIS from Time and
> Relative Dimensions in Space.  Yet other people recognize the name,
> both on Gallifrey and other planets.
>
> Remember that the Doctor had some high role in Gallifrey society
> before he left.  Could it not have been Time Capsule design?  If so,
> couldn't his granddaughter have come up with a name, which because
> he later kept using it became standard?

And do recall, the Master (Pertwe episodes -- those being freshest in my
inexact memory) calls his TARDIS a TARDIS.

I suggest that the writers weren't (aren't) as up on Whoism as you folks --
the Writer's Guide (if it exists) probably says The Doctor's ship is a TARDIS,
ergo every Time Lord's ship is a TARDIS.  Alas, when you're dealing with many,
many writers, consistency suffers -- especially for details such as that.
After all, before this line of thoughtfulness, *I* thought they all were
TARDISes, too.
         ___________________
              ______________\
                 ___________ |
         	    ______  /
	       .	 / /	  o
	     .ooo.     ./ /.	. o@ooo0         Barb
	    .ooooo.   .ooooo.  .oooo
        oo..oo	 oo...ooo ooo..ooo  \
     .oo  oo	  oooooo   oooooo
		    ooo	     ooo

    "Have a jelly baby."
    Surprised response: "They're good!"

lepine@ctoavx.DEC (08/22/85)

   In "AN UNEARTHLY CHILD", Susan does credit herself with the creation of the
name TARDIS.  Perhaps she won a competition that the Time Lords held because
they couldn't think of a very good name for it themselves?  Or perhaps she is
the legendary Lady Larn...?

>  I remember an episode...where the Doctor lands on a planet where the
>   inhabitants are familiar with the time lords and their vehicles...

   I think that the story you are referring to is "UNDERWORLD" when the Doctor
lands on a Minyan spacecraft.  In this case, the exact reference to the TARDIS
is as "one of the time ships of the gods!"

--Simon Barker