[net.tv.drwho] Trivia question re:credits

kupfer@ucbvax.ARPA (Mike Kupfer) (08/05/85)

All right, trivia fans, I've got one for you!  KTEH (San Jose) is
showing Pertwee right now.  In the credits he is listed as "Dr. Who"
(really!).  At TIMECON, they showed lotsa Colin Baker episodes (very,
very good Doctor, by the way).  In those credits he is listed as "The
Doctor".  The question, of course, is: when did the BBC change the way
they listed the Doctor in the credits?

Of course I don't know the answer!  That's why I'm asking!

mike
--
Mike Kupfer
kupfer.pa@xerox.ARPA

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (08/06/85)

In article <9659@ucbvax.ARPA> kupfer@ucbvax.ARPA (Mike Kupfer) writes:
>All right, trivia fans, I've got one for you!  KTEH (San Jose) is
>showing Pertwee right now.  In the credits he is listed as "Dr. Who"
>(really!).  At TIMECON, they showed lotsa Colin Baker episodes (very,
>very good Doctor, by the way).  In those credits he is listed as "The
>Doctor".  The question, of course, is: when did the BBC change the way
>they listed the Doctor in the credits?

It changed shortly after Tom Baker came in as the Doctor.  I am not sure
exactly with what episode it occurred (anyone else?).

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {ihnp4, decvax, ucbvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are mine alone.
Quote: Does the Doctor make house calls?

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (08/07/85)

]From: bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran)
]
]In article <9659@ucbvax.ARPA> kupfer@ucbvax.ARPA (Mike Kupfer) writes:
]>All right, trivia fans, I've got one for you!  KTEH (San Jose) is
]>showing Pertwee right now.  In the credits he is listed as "Dr. Who"
]>(really!).  At TIMECON, they showed lotsa Colin Baker episodes (very,
]>very good Doctor, by the way).  In those credits he is listed as "The
]>Doctor".  The question, of course, is: when did the BBC change the way
]>they listed the Doctor in the credits?
]
]It changed shortly after Tom Baker came in as the Doctor.  I am not sure
]exactly with what episode it occurred (anyone else?).

No, but an interesting note:

Check out the credits of "Logopolis". Tom Baker is listed as "The Doctor"
and Peter Davison is listed as "Doctor Who".

Interestingly, I noted that "Planet of the Spiders" gave no credit to Tom
Baker. (Well, he was only seen for a moment.) Does anybody remember if the
other "regeneration" episodes list both Doctors?

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

chas@ihuxe.UUCP (Charles Lambert) (08/08/85)

> Interestingly, I noted that "Planet of the Spiders" gave no credit to Tom
> Baker. (Well, he was only seen for a moment.) Does anybody remember if the
> other "regeneration" episodes list both Doctors?

Are you referring to *Colin* Baker, in "Caves of Androzzani"?

Charlie (the Alien) @ the Death Star, IL.

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (08/09/85)

>Check out the credits of "Logopolis". Tom Baker is listed as "The Doctor"
>and Peter Davison is listed as "Doctor Who".
>
>Interestingly, I noted that "Planet of the Spiders" gave no credit to Tom
>Baker. (Well, he was only seen for a moment.) Does anybody remember if the
>other "regeneration" episodes list both Doctors?

In Tenth Planet, Patrick Troughton did not appear in the credits.

In The War Games, Jon Pertwee did not appear.  Patrick Troughton did not
appear in Spearhead from Space.

In Caves of Androzani, both Peter Davison and Colin Baker appeared in
the credits, as did each of Peter Davison's companions.  (The
regeneration flashback was taped specially for the show.)

ags@pucc-h (Dave Seaman) (08/09/85)

>> Interestingly, I noted that "Planet of the Spiders" gave no credit to Tom
>> Baker. (Well, he was only seen for a moment.) Does anybody remember if the
>> other "regeneration" episodes list both Doctors?
>
>Are you referring to *Colin* Baker, in "Caves of Androzzani"?
>
>Charlie (the Alien) @ the Death Star, IL.

"Caves of *Androzani*" definitely lists both Peter Davison and Colin Baker
as "The Doctor."  "Planet of the Spiders" on the other hand gives credit
only to Jon Pertwee and does not mention Tom Baker.  Maybe it's because
Colin Baker actually speaks about two lines in his regeneration story,
while Tom Baker does not even open his eyes.

--
Dave Seaman			 ..!pur-ee!pucc-h:ags

darrelj@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Darrel VanBuer) (08/09/85)

Re: when did the Dr. Who credits change from listing the title role as
Dr. Who to The Doctor.
After reviewing available tapes:
  Through all Tom Baker episodes it's still "Dr. Who" (in Logopolis, even
Peter is listed as "Dr. Who".
  (1.5 season hole in episodes accessible to me)
  In King's Demon, Peter is listed as "The Doctor".

Conjecture:  Done when Davison version of credits were assembled for his
  first season.  Alternate: done at beginning of his second season.

--
Darrel J. Van Buer, PhD
System Development Corp.

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (08/12/85)

> > Interestingly, I noted that "Planet of the Spiders" gave no credit to Tom
> > Baker. (Well, he was only seen for a moment.) Does anybody remember if the
> > other "regeneration" episodes list both Doctors?
>
> Are you referring to *Colin* Baker, in "Caves of Androzzani"?

No, Tom Baker; the last scene of "Planet of the Spiders" has Pertwee
regenerating into Baker.

	Guy Harris

acsgjjp@sunybcs.UUCP (Jim Poltrone) (08/15/85)

>>Interestingly, I noted that "Planet of the Spiders" gave no credit to Tom
>>Baker. (Well, he was only seen for a moment.) Does anybody remember if the
>>other "regeneration" episodes list both Doctors?

> In Caves of Androzani, both Peter Davison and Colin Baker appeared in
> the credits, as did each of Peter Davison's companions.  (The
> regeneration flashback was taped specially for the show.)

Logopolis gave credit to both Tom Baker and Peter Davison (in that order).
At the end of Caves..., Colin Baker was credited first, then Peter D.

Also, in the credits for "The Five Doctors", six names are listed (on the
same screen) for The Doctor. (In "The Three Doctors", Bill's, Pat's,
and Jon's names were on seperate screens.)

Going back to Logopolis, I remember hearing a rumor that Peter Davison
played the role of the Watcher.  (Verifications/denials, anyone?)  And
since he was listed as the Doctor, he could not have been listed as the
Watcher as well, if he indeed played the Watcher. (Beeb rules, I'm told.)

--
From the House on the Knoll, not far from the Holt...
Jim Poltrone  (a/k/a Poltr1, the Last of the Raster Blasters)

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (08/22/85)

> The question, of course, is: when did the BBC change the way
> they listed the Doctor in the credits?

The answer, we may now conclude, is that up to "Logopolis,"
the credits said, "Doctor Who."  Then, during "Logopolis,"
Peter Davison was indeed listed as "Doctor Who," but Tom
Baker as "The Doctor."  Then, from Castrovalva on, it
was always "The Doctor."

Concise and confusing enough?
                                         A. G. Percus
                                  (ARPA) percus@acf4
                                   (NYU) percus.acf4
                                  (UUCP) ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus

lepine@ctoavx.DEC (08/22/85)

   The change from Dr. Who (or Doctor Who) to the Doctor came with
"CASTROVALVA" when most people had now realised that Dr.Who was technically
the wrong name for the character.
   The general policy concerning credits is only to credit speaking parts.
When characters appear consistently during a story, they are usually credited
(eg.the Service robots in "PYRAMIDS OF MARS").  Occasionally, people are
credited out of grace (eg.Peter Davison in "LOGOPOLIS").  Tom wasn't one of
them, I'm afraid!

--Simon Barker