[net.tv.drwho] Fans and users ALWAYS know best...

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (08/27/85)

In article <393@oliven.UUCP> barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) writes:

>I suggest that the writers weren't (aren't) as up on Whoism as you folks --

Unfortunately, I fear that this *very* true statement is symptomatic of
quite a bit in this world... I can think of many examples. Fans,
enthusiasts, and experienced users will ALWAYS know a program, mythos,
book series, software system, bus or train or other transport system,
etc., better than the people who work on or in it, and who would be
expected to know it -- in reality, the "professionals" know only enough
as they find necessary, and have no real interest motivating them. The
people who enjoy and get involved in something end up being MUCH more
knowledgeable and become the real experts. The writers of Dr. Who, Star
Trek, or other serieses set in artificial universes are just doing what
they do to make money and to get by -- the fans, on the other hand,
internalize that universe, and study it, and explore it, and get to know
it much more deeply and thoroughly than the writers, producers, actors,
or staff ever will.

It is sad that this is not recognized and accepted more widely -- it
gives rise to the principle that only those truly involved with
something should be allowed to control and direct it. For example, to
generalize out to a real-world situation: municipal bus drivers often
know little or nothing about the bus system in their community, aside
from their own routes -- they drive their line, trade off to another
driver at the changeover point, get in a car and drive away. They know
little about connecting lines, best paths to or lines to use to get from
A to B, and care little about the trouble their mistakes or failures
might cause to passengers. This situation would be corrected by one
simple change -- "no transit system employee, bus driver, or member of
their immediate family may own or operate a privately-owned motor vehicle."
This one change would completely reverse the attitude of all the
personnel -- now they would be working for *themselves* -- they would
know that their running late, or missing a trip, would affect not just
the faceless public out there, but it could well be their wife, or
child, or elderly parent, or themselves who are suffering. The day after
such a policy went into effect, the bus system would begin to
dramatically improve, and it would continue getting better and better,
because every employee would have deep motivation to make it better for
themself.

The same thing should apply to the production of such things as
long-running tv programs; the writers and staff for later seasons'
productions should be selected from the fans that arose from the first
or opening years.  (There could be production companies set up to start
up shows and then hand them off to enthusiasts formed into the
"permanent" companies. Of course, in the ephemeral world of tv
production in the US, this probably wouldn't get a chance -- it could
work in BBC-like long-term situations, though.)

Will

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (08/27/85)

In article <1013@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-bmd.UUCP writes:
>The same thing should apply to the production of such things as
>long-running tv programs; the writers and staff for later seasons'
>productions should be selected from the fans that arose from the first
>or opening years.
>Will

Terrific ... 4 seasons' worth of exotic women scientists coming
on board the Enterprise, and managing to thaw Mr. Spock
"just this one time".

	signed, a frustrated reader of fannish fiction
--
"For it's cheer up my lads, let your heart never fear
 when you stay home from the free lanes, for to be a profiteer"

jgd@uwmcsd1.UUCP (John G Dobnick) (08/27/85)

[Cross-line-eater to B...  Oops!  Wrong universe!]

On the other hand, using the fans as *continuity* editors...
John G Dobnick
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
(...ihnp4!uwmcsd1!jgd)