[net.tv.drwho] Dalek naming

gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson) (08/25/85)

[A Jammer's work is never done...]

(First, a bit of fantasy...)
According to the episode "Genesis of The Daleks", Davros designated his
creations "DALEKS" as an acronym of the name of his race, "KALED".  This
(I believe) had something to do with the "rebirth of the race" that they
would cause.

(And now, in the real world...)
In the hardcover "Doctor Who: A Celebration"  Terry Nation is quoted as
saying that he got the name from an encyclopedia volume going from
DAL to LEK.  Now, what encyclopedia puts D-L in one volume?  (The "Dal-Ek"
theory works better, but, hey, that's not what he's quoted as saying...)

Name:		G. T. Samson
Title:		The Evil MicroWizard
Quote:		"No matter where you go...there you are." -- B. Banzai
Other_Quote:	"You speak treason!" "Fluently!" 	  -- The Doctor
ARPA:		gts@wjh12 [preferred] OR samson%h-sc4@harvard
USMail:		Lowell N-43, Harvard U., Cambridge, MA 02138

pjk@hou2a.UUCP (P.KEMP) (08/27/85)

>  From: gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson)
>  Subject: Re: Dalek naming
>
>  (And now, in the real world...)
>  In the hardcover "Doctor Who: A Celebration"  Terry Nation is quoted as
>  saying that he got the name from an encyclopedia volume going from
>  DAL to LEK.  Now, what encyclopedia puts D-L in one volume?  (The "Dal-Ek"
>  theory works better, but, hey, that's not what he's quoted as saying...)

Actually, if you read that section of "A Celebration" again,
I believe it states that the name "Dalek" just came to him
at the typewriter one day, and that he made up the story
of the encyclopedia to satisfy the press.  He also said
he knows of no encyclopedia that has such a volume!

Also, Dalek is an *anagram* of Kaled, not an acronym.

--
			Paul Kemp
			ihnp4!hou2a!pjk

       The above statements are those of the author only,
          and are not those of AT&T Bell Laboratories.

msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) (08/28/85)

G. T. Samson writes:
> (And now, in the real world...)
> In the hardcover "Doctor Who: A Celebration"  Terry Nation is quoted as
> saying that he got the name from an encyclopedia volume going from
> DAL to LEK.  Now, what encyclopedia puts D-L in one volume?  (The "Dal-Ek"
> theory works better, but, hey, that's not what he's quoted as saying...)

Try reading the book again.  In his interview for the book, Terry Nation
says he made up the encyclopaedia story when first asked how he came up
with the name.  He says he didn't think he'd be believed if he told the
truth - he just thought of it - and was trying to put an end to the question.
He also says that there is no encyclopaedia with a volume going from DAL-LEK.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@saber.UUCP,  sun!saber!msc@decwrl.ARPA