[net.tv.drwho] Dr. Who Game???

NETOPRVC@NCSUVM.BITNET (08/12/85)

Does anyone know if there is a Dr. Who game similar to the Adventure type
games?
                   Vicky

          "What will the creature made all of seadrift do
                on the dry sand of daylight;
           What will the mind do, each morning, waking?"

jaffe@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Saul) (08/13/85)

>Does anyone know if there is a Dr. Who game similar to the
>Adventure type games?
>			Vicky

	Yes, one was just released by FASA.  These are the same
 people that released the STAR TREK role-playing game.  The Dr. Who
 game is set up in a similar way and the combat system is almost
 identical.

	The game does have a few problems though.  I am not totally
 happy with the way they are doing character generation.  There does
 not seem to be much difference in the way non-time lords are
 generated from the way time-lords are.  In fact, the only
 difference that I have found is in the generation of age.

	The game does not seem entirely well organized.  In fact in
 some places the rules contradict themselves.

	I have not had a chance yet to run a scenario since there
 are none included in the game and the others from FASA have not yet
 been released.  The only scenario that I know of is one which
 appeared in this months issue of STARDATE which, unfortunately, the
 people I play with had read.

Saul Jaffe
Systems Programmer
Rutgers University
ARPA: Jaffe@Rutgers
UUCP: ...{harvard,seismo,ut-sally,ihnp4!packard}!topaz!jaffe
--
Saul Jaffe
Systems Programmer
Rutgers University
ARPA: Jaffe@Rutgers
UUCP: ...{harvard,seismo,ut-sally,ihnp4!packard}!topaz!jaffe

richardt@orstcs.UUCP (richardt) (08/19/85)

I know that there is a Dr. Who game out, however it is a boardgame and I have
yet to get my paws onto the thing.  I think that the basic point of the game is
along the lines of "Find the Key to Time," but I couldn't swear to it.

Next??
					richardt@orstcs
"And now for our next Dematerialization circuit: Door Number 1, Door Number 2,
or Door Number 3?"

lepine@ctoavx.DEC (08/22/85)

>   Does anyone know if there is a Dr. Who Game similar to the Adventure type
>   games?

   Yes,I do!  I presume that you mean role-playing games, in which case, there
are two.  The latest (and best,I gather) is available from someone who recently
advertised it in "STARLOG" (on the inside cover).  I'm sorry I can't be more
specific.  Does anyone out there know the address?

--Simon Barker

jeq@laidbak.UUCP (Jonathan E. Quist) (08/24/85)

>I know that there is a Dr. Who game out, however it is a boardgame and I have
>yet to get my paws onto the thing.  I think that the basic point of the game is
>along the lines of "Find the Key to Time," but I couldn't swear to it.

I've played the Dr. Who boardgame.  It's been a while, but
the basic object of the game is to collect the 7 segments
of the Key to Time.  If you're lucky, you'll pick up a
companion and a K-9 of your very own along the way.
I beleive the publishers included a note on the package
to the effect of "Ages 6 to Adult" or some such;
nonetheless it does make for a pleasant diversion,
provided your companions are true Dr. Who fans and
don't insist that seeing the TARDIS spinning through space
is the result of poor writing.
(Personally, I rather enjoy the inventiveness of
the folks in BBC special effects when they're working
on small budgets and tight schedules.  Where is your
imagination, anyhow, folks?)

The one problem with the board game is that the
U.S. price is a bit high for what it is.
But go ahead, try it.

Jonathan E. Quist
ihnp4!laidbak!jeq

		``What?  Without Styre's report?''

goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) (09/01/85)

In article <90@decwrl.UUCP> lepine@ctoavx.DEC writes:

>>   Does anyone know if there is a Dr. Who Game similar to the Adventure type
>>   games?
>
>   Yes,I do!  I presume that you mean role-playing games, in which case, there
>are two.  The latest (and best,I gather) is available from someone who recently
>advertised it in "STARLOG" (on the inside cover).  I'm sorry I can't be more
>specific.  Does anyone out there know the address?
>
>--Simon Barker

The game is put out by FASA, address not available from me but they run
lots of ads in many gaming zines so you shouldn't have too much trouble
finding it.

	intresting (I prefer Traveller...)
	good background info
	character system simular to FASA's game StarTrek,
		not too complex, nor TSRish

--
-------
				Matthew Goldman

Home is where you take your hat off...			Banzai!

Kyllara :	What did you just do?
Moederan :	I don't know but it's going to be fun...