[net.tv.drwho] Doctors scarf patterns

mcb@ihlpm.UUCP (m. baker) (09/13/85)

Dr. Who Scarf Patterns
Who ever (I know it is whom, but considering...)
asked for the scarf patterns you got it. By the way you'll be all
winter knitting better start now!!!
These come from the BBC enterprises.

The Original Scarf.
   Guage 14 stitches per 4 inches. 20 rows per 4 inches.

   Number of 4oz. scans. (Note I have upped the green because I
                          Ran out twice.)

   1 Purple
   2 camel
   1 bronze (dark brown)
   1 mustard (golden yellow)
   2 rust
   2 grey
   5 green (dark forrest )

  Cast on 40 stitches. In plain knitting always slip the first stitch!
  Knit as follows:

8 purple                    10 camel
52 camel                    8 grey
16 bronze 	            40 rust
10 mustard    		    14 mustard
22 rust                     20 green
8 purple                    8 purple
20 green                    42 camel
8 mustard                   12 bronze
28 camel                    20 grey
14 rust                     8 rust
8 bronze		    12 purple
10 purple                   6 camel
42 green                    14 mustard
8 mustard                   54 green
16 grey			    16 rust
8 rust                      12 grey
54 camel		    8 mustard
10 purple       	    20 bronze
12 green   		    10 purple
8 mustard                   12 camel
18 rust                     32 grey
8 purple		    10 rust
38 bronze		    16 mustard

American size 9 needles Metric size 4
Tassels are made from 1 foot lengths of yarn
Seven tassels on each end combining all 7 colors.

Suggestions weave your ends in while you go.
Get a good color photo of the scarf to take to the yarn shop to
choose the yarn.

The 1980 season scarf.

Size 7 metric needles. Don't know the American size.

4oz. balls of yarn

2 Terra cotta (rust)
3 Claret (wine)
3 Aubergine (purple dark)

I don't know the guage, it wasn't listed but either use the one above
or reduce to match the bigger needle size.

Cast on 42 stitches

2 inches rust    2 ins. wine   2 rows rust
2 rows wine      2 ins. rust   2 rows plum
2 rows rust      2 ins. wine   2 rows rust
2 rows wine      2 ins. rust   2 ins. plum
2 rows rust      2 ins. wine   4 ins. Alternate rows : rust, wine, plum...
4 ins. wine      2 rows plum   2 ins. wine
2 rows plum      2 rows wine   2 rows rust
2 rows wine      2 rows plum   2 rows wine
2 rows plum      2 rows wine   2 rows rust
2 rows wine      4 ins. plum   2 rows wine
2 ins. plum      2 rows rust   2 ins. rust
2 rows rust      2 rows plum   2 rows plum
2 rows plum      2 rows rust   2 rows rust
2 rows rust      2 rows plum   2 rows plum
2 rows plum      2 ins. rust   2 rows rust
2 ins. rust      2 rows plum   6 ins. plum
2 rows plum      2 rows rust   2 rows wine
2 rows rust      2 rows plum   2 rows plum
2 rows plum      2 rows rust   2 rows wine
2 rows rust      2 ins. plum   2 rows plum
2 ins. plum      2 rows wine   2 ins. wine
2 rows wine      2 rows plum   2 rows plum
2 rows plum      2 rows wine   2 rows wine
2 rows wine      2 rows plum   2 rows plum
2 rows plum      7 ins. wine   2 rows wine ****
2 ins. wine      2 rows rust   2 ins. plum
2 rows rust      2 rows wine   2 rows rust
2 rows wine      2 rows rust   2 rows plum
2 rows rust      2 rows wine   2 rows rust
2 rows wine      2 ins. rust   2 rows plum
6 ins. rust      2 rows plum

Knit down the columns.
Repeate entire pattern once, exchange plum and wine.
Repeate entire pattern to **** as originally listed.
(In other words you do all this 3 times.)

I have not done this one yet, I am still working on the first one!!!
But I do know it is supposed to be shorter than the other one.
For your information the multi-colored scarf was originally 17-18ft.
long in the show, but I believe there was really more then one
multi-colored scarf and the later ones were shorter.
Good luck!
                            "Sorry, must dash."
                                 -The Doctor, 'The Five Doctors'
                             Kityss

nlt@duke.UUCP (N. L. Tinkham) (09/13/85)

The pattern for the second scarf posted by m. baker calls for

> Size 7 metric needles. Don't know the American size.

The corresponding American size is 6.

                                           N. L. Tinkham
                                           duke!nlt

scs@wucs.UUCP (Steve Swope) (09/14/85)

In article <479@ihlpm.UUCP>, mcb@ihlpm.UUCP (m. baker) writes:
> Dr. Who Scarf Patterns
> <text omitted>
>   Cast on 40 stitches. In plain knitting always slip the first stitch!

Most versions I've seen called for 60 stitches to be cast on.

> <text omitted>
>
> Suggestions weave your ends in while you go.

I was lazy and waited until the knitting was done and worked the ends
in with a tapestry needle.

> Get a good color photo of the scarf to take to the yarn shop to
> choose the yarn.

I agree completely! (I eventually knitted a second one because my first
set of colors was so far off)

> The 1980 season scarf.
>
> Size 7 metric needles. Don't know the American size.

I used size 8 here, but size 10 for the the 7-color scarf.

> <text omitted>
> I have not done this one yet, I am still working on the first one!!!
> But I do know it is supposed to be shorter than the other one.

The apparent shortness of this scarf occurs because of the way it is worn,
draped from ankle to neck to ankle to neck to ankle (2 very wide loops).
Mine required an extra half-loop to hang so that it didn't drag the ground,
but I attribute this to a slight over-estimate in the number of rows that
constitute an inch, and the fact that Tom Baker is 7" taller than me :-).

> For your information the multi-colored scarf was originally 17-18ft.
> long in the show, but I believe there was really more then one
> multi-colored scarf and the later ones were shorter.

The first season scarf looks (to me, at least) to have been the shortest, and
I have heard that it was stolen fairly early on. Note also that a scarf
(particularly a long one) will stretch over time, and this may well contribute
to the image of there having been more than there acually were.

				Steve Swope (aka scs@wucs.UUCP)

"Brigadier, A straight line may be the shortest path between
 two points, but it is by no means the most interesting!"

jeq@laidbak.UUCP (Jonathan E. Quist) (09/14/85)

A friend of mine was practising for the original scarf some
years ago.  Her first attempt was a 4 color scarf about 12 feet
in length (at the time, she didn't have the pattern).

Her second attempt was an all-gray Killer Scarf.
I never saw it fully extended, but did suffer internal
injuries once when it was dropped on me.  Some
enterprising folks measured it once.
The length was something like 43 feet.

I didn't know the Master ever wore a scarf...

jeq

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (09/16/85)

> The pattern for the second scarf posted by m. baker calls for
>
> > Size 7 metric needles. Don't know the American size.
>
> The corresponding American size is 6.

... and a previous poster said it was American size 10.

Does anyone know the *real* answer (i.e., did anyone check it out
before posting)?

--
Glend.	I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hot.	Why, so can I, or so can any man; But will they come when you

	Bill Jefferys  8-%
	Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712   (USnail)
	{allegra,ihnp4}!{ut-sally,noao}!utastro!bill	(UUCP)
	bill@astro.UTEXAS.EDU.				(Internet)