[net.tv.drwho] credits/THE FIVE DOCTORS

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (09/05/85)

In reference to Darrel VanBuer's posting "Re:credits/CASTROVALVA":

The credits of THE FIVE DOCTORS episode listed SIX Doctors:

		      Peter Davison
		      Tom Baker
		      Jon Pertwee
		      Patrick Troughton
		      Richard Hurndall
		      William Hartnell

Richard Hurndall being the actor who played the Hartnell role. As you may
remember (or may be able to see, if you have the episode on tape), at the
very beginning of the program, even before the opening titles, I think, some
tape from an original Hartnell episode was inserted (from which episode, I do
not know--anybody out there know?), thus Hartnell was credited along with
Hurndell.

The credits listed all of the above actors under one heeading:

			      The Doctor

So, Hartnell has been credited as "The Doctor" and not just as "Dr./Doctor Who.

					   Barth Richards
					   Corporate Communications
					   Tellabs, Lisle, IL

					   "Would you like a jelly baby?"
					   -Romana

					   "Where did you get those?"
					   -The Doctor

					   "The same place you get yours,
					    your pocket."
                                           -Romana

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (09/06/85)

In article <565@tellab1.UUCP> barth@tellab3.UUCP (Barth Richards) writes:

>In reference to Darrel VanBuer's posting "Re:credits/CASTROVALVA":
>
>The credits of THE FIVE DOCTORS episode listed SIX Doctors:
>
>		      Peter Davison
>		      Tom Baker
>		      Jon Pertwee
>		      Patrick Troughton
>		      Richard Hurndall
>		      William Hartnell
>
>Richard Hurndall being the actor who played the Hartnell role. As you may
>remember (or may be able to see, if you have the episode on tape), at the
>very beginning of the program, even before the opening titles, I think, some
>tape from an original Hartnell episode was inserted (from which episode, I do
>not know--anybody out there know?), thus Hartnell was credited along with

The clip was from 'The Tenth Planet', Hartnell's last episode as the Doctor.

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {decvax, ucbvax, most Action Central}!vax135\
		       	 {topaz, pesnta, princeton}!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
ARPA: petsd!pedsgd!bobh@topaz
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "History is made at night.  Character is what you are in the Dark."

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (09/07/85)

> Richard Hurndall being the actor who played the Hartnell role. As you may
> remember (or may be able to see, if you have the episode on tape), at the
> very beginning of the program, even before the opening titles, I think, some
> tape from an original Hartnell episode was inserted (from which episode, I do
> not know--anybody out there know?), thus Hartnell was credited along with
> Hurndell.

Yes, a scene from "The Dalek Invasion of Earth," the story when
Susan leaves, is "prepended" to "The Five Doctors," the words of
which are:

       "One day, I shall come back.  Yes, I shall come back.
        But until then, there must be no regrets, no tears,
        no anxieties:  just go forward in all your beliefs,
        and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine."

New Jersey Network used this for an ad for the upcoming Hartnell
series, by first showing the part with "One day, I shall come back.
Yes, I shall come back".  Then, the network announcer, Eric Luskin,
said some things about "and that day is soon.  On September 7...", etc.,
After which they show the part where Hartnell says "...until then,
let there be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties..."
Cute.
                                         A. G. Percus
                                  (ARPA) percus@acf4
                                   (NYU) percus.acf4
                                  (UUCP) ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus

scs@wucs.UUCP (Steve Swope) (09/07/85)

In article <565@tellab1.UUCP>, barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) writes:

> ... As you may
> remember (or may be able to see, if you have the episode on tape), at the
> very beginning of the program, even before the opening titles, I think, some
> tape from an original Hartnell episode was inserted (from which episode, I do
> not know--anybody out there know?)

The scene is from "The Dalek Invasion of Earth", and is the Doctor's farewell
to Susan, in which he states that he will return someday (Hence our seeing
the 1st doctor with a more mature Susan).

				Steve Swope (aka scs@wucs.UUCP)

"Brigadier, A straight line may be the shortest path between
 two points, but it is by no means the most interesting!"

gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson) (09/14/85)

In article <1141@wucs.UUCP>, scs@wucs.UUCP (Steve Swope) writes:
> In article <565@tellab1.UUCP>, barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) writes:
> >
> > ... As you may
> > remember (or may be able to see, if you have the episode on tape), at the
> > very beginning of the program, even before the opening titles, I think, some
> > tape from an original Hartnell episode was inserted (from which episode, I do
> > not know--anybody out there know?)
>
> The scene is from "The Dalek Invasion of Earth", and is the Doctor's farewell
> to Susan, in which he states that he will return someday (Hence our seeing
> the 1st doctor with a more mature Susan).

Actually, I think it's from "World's End", where he says goodbye to Susan.
I'm fairly sure, at least...

Name:		G. T. Samson
Title:		The Evil MicroWizard
Quote:		"No matter where you go...there you are." -- B. Banzai
Other_Quote:	"You speak treason!" "Fluently!" 	  -- The Doctor
ARPA:		gts@wjh12 [preferred] OR samson%h-sc4@harvard
USMail:		Lowell N-43, Harvard U., Cambridge, MA 02138

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (09/16/85)

> Actually, I think it's from "World's End", where he says goodbye to Susan.
> I'm fairly sure, at least...

"World's End"????  What's that?  I was under the impression (from
seeing the actual thing!) that he said goodbye to Susan in "Dalek
Invasion of Earth."

mom@sfmag.UUCP (M.Modig) (09/18/85)

> > Actually, I think it's from "World's End", where he says goodbye to Susan.
> > I'm fairly sure, at least...
>
> "World's End"????  What's that?  I was under the impression (from
> seeing the actual thing!) that he said goodbye to Susan in "Dalek
> Invasion of Earth."

"World's End" is the first episode of that story.  The speech is from
the last episode of the story, as the Doctor prepares to leave Earth,
with Ian and Barbara in the TARDIS, the Doctor locks Susan out, thus
leaving her behind with David, the freedom-fighter with whom she has
fallen in love.  The clip is really an excerpt from the Doctor's
farewell speech to Susan.

Mark Modig
ihnp4!sfmag!mom

P.S.  He still hasn't gone back to there yet (at least not that we
know of), though Susan was presumably yanked out of her timestream
on Earth and put on Gallifrey in "The Five Doctors".