[net.tv.drwho] Dr Who movie

ables@ut-ngp.UUCP (King Ables) (10/01/84)

I saw in this week's TV schedule that a Dr. Who movie is going to
be on WOR (New Jersey) this Saturday (Oct. 6) at Midnight Central
Time.  Our TV page only goes to 12:30 and it's in those little boxed
diagrams, so it had the name listed as "Dr. Who..." so I don't know
which one it is.

jrb@wdl1.UUCP (jrb ) (10/02/84)

It's almost certainly going to be _Dr Who and the Daleks_.

				John R Blaker
				UUCP:	...!fortune!wdl1!jrb
				ARPA:	jrb@FORD-WDL1
				and	blaker@FORD-WDL2

guest@duke.UUCP (John Q. Public) (10/05/84)

In my area, a Dr. Who Movie is just all the episodes shown in a lump.
Besides, there were TWO DW Movies.

don@allegra.UUCP (D. Mitchell) (10/08/84)

This Dr. Who movie (which I saw last night) stars Peter Cushing as
Dr. Who.  It was absolutely terrible!  It seems to be only very loosely
connected with the TV series since the Dr. is just a kindly old
English grandfather who invents the TARDIS and takes some of his
family for a ride in it.  It was so bad, I started watching another
movie on WABC and just sampled the Dr. Who movie every now and then.

guest@duke.UUCP (James T. Kirk) (10/10/84)

Oh. It was the real one.
TS

frodo@wlcrjs.UUCP (James M. Scardelis) (10/22/84)

In article <2842@allegra.UUCP> don@allegra.UUCP (D. Mitchell) writes:
>This Dr. Who movie (which I saw last night) stars Peter Cushing as
>Dr. Who.  It was absolutely terrible!  It seems to be only very loosely
>connected with the TV series since the Dr. is just a kindly old
>English grandfather who invents the TARDIS and takes some of his
>family for a ride in it.  It was so bad, I started watching another
>movie on WABC and just sampled the Dr. Who movie every now and then.

The wierd thing about this movie is that the TARDIS is said to be a room
in the Dr.'s house, and yet it still looks like a police box on the
outside...

don@allegra.UUCP (Don Mitchell) (09/15/85)

I recall there was a brief discussion last year about the Dr. Who movie
(with Peter Cushing playing "Dr. Who").  It is clear now that this movie
was almost an exact duplication of "The Daleks".  The major difference
is that Cushing played the role as a kindly old grandfather, while
Hartnell is quite a curmudgeon!

pjk@hou2a.UUCP (P.KEMP) (09/17/85)

There are two Dr. Who movies -

Doctor Who and the Daleks (1965)

		and

The Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150 AD (1966)

Both are based on Terry Nation stories (he
owns the rights to the "Daleks").

Peter Cushing stars as "Dr. Who" [ick!], an
earth scientist who invented the "TARDIS."

The first movie is based on the series story "The
Daleks" a.k.a. "The Dead Planet" (#2).
[This is supposed to be available on videocassette now.]

The second movie (*) is based on the series story "The
Dalek Invasion of Earth" (#10).

(*) - [Does anyone in the NY/NJ area know if this will
be aired (on WOR?) on TV soon?  If it is on WOR, it may
appear on cable systems in other areas.]

Is there going to be a third movie?

By the way, in the movie versions, the right side
door of the TARDIS appears to have a "clover leaf"
type design on it, but I haven't noticed it in
the TV series TARDIS.  Is it the same prop?

Also, on the subject of early Dr. Who, the book
"Doctor Who - A Celebration," lists in the back
that there was a "Pilot" and then "An Unearthly Child."
Is this a mistake?  I thought that "An Unearthly Child"
was the first show (repeated the next week) with
"The Tribe of Gum" episodes following it.

One more question - Is the "proper" name of the
second show (prod. code B) "The Dead Planet" or
"The Daleks"?   I think it is "The Daleks" and that
"The Dead Planet" is only the name of the first episode.
--
			Paul Kemp
			ihnp4!hou2a!pjk

"Are you sure this planet is supposed to be here?"

       The above statements are those of the author only,
          and are not those of AT&T Bell Laboratories.

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (09/19/85)

In article <639@hou2a.UUCP> pjk@hou2a.UUCP (P.KEMP) writes:

>Also, on the subject of early Dr. Who, the book
>"Doctor Who - A Celebration," lists in the back
>that there was a "Pilot" and then "An Unearthly Child."
>Is this a mistake?  I thought that "An Unearthly Child"
>was the first show (repeated the next week) with
>"The Tribe of Gum" episodes following it.

There actually was a pilot episode, which was only shown to the powers that
be at the BBC, who thought it needed work (i.e. the Doctor should be made
a bit less irracible, sound effects should be revised). Some changes in the
script and sound effects were made and the episode was ENTIRELY refilmed.
This new version was the first episode, broadcast on Saturday, 23 November,
1963. Since most of the television coverage of Kennedy's assasination took
place on that Saturday, few viewers were still in the mood for a new science
fiction serial in the late afternoon, so the BBC decided to rerun AN UNEARTHLY
CHILD the following Saturday. The original PILOT episode was never aired.

Interestingly enough, one of the revised sound effects was that of the TARDIS
itself. Apparantly, in the pilot episode it had an electric-motor whining
sound, and was only changed to the more familiar whirring-grinding sound when
the episode was refilmed.

				       Barth Richards
				       Tellabs, Inc.
				       Lisle, IL

				       "Ford, do you realize that robot
					can hum like Pink Floyd?"
                                       -Arthur Dent

scs@wucs.UUCP (Steve Swope) (09/19/85)

In article <639@hou2a.UUCP>, pjk@hou2a.UUCP (P.KEMP) writes:

> The first movie is based on the series story "The
> Daleks" a.k.a. "The Dead Planet" (#2).
> [This is supposed to be available on videocassette now.]
>
> The second movie (*) is based on the series story "The
> Dalek Invasion of Earth" (#10).
>
> Is there going to be a third movie?

Although the rights to make a third Dalek movie are still owned by the
makers of the first two, there has been no word of it that I have heard.

> By the way, in the movie versions, the right side
> door of the TARDIS appears to have a "clover leaf"
> type design on it, but I haven't noticed it in
> the TV series TARDIS.  Is it the same prop?

If you look closely at the door in "An Unearthly child", you can see the
emblem there, although it is more faded. I doubt they were the same, since
the one in the movie was very clean looking, while the one in the series was
not (this is only speculation).

> Also, on the subject of early Dr. Who, the book
> "Doctor Who - A Celebration," lists in the back
> that there was a "Pilot" and then "An Unearthly Child."
> Is this a mistake?  I thought that "An Unearthly Child"
> was the first show (repeated the next week) with
> "The Tribe of Gum" episodes following it.

The pilot was made to help sell the show (a practice which has all but
discontinued, due to rising production costs), but was remade to tighten
it up a bit, and change a few details. (In the pilot, I'm told, Susan is
seen wearing a futuristic garment inside the TARDIS. This was changed to
a schoolgirl outfit for some reason.) I have read that the pilot still
exists. I, for one, am curoius to see it.

> One more question - Is the "proper" name of the
> second show (prod. code B) "The Dead Planet" or
> "The Daleks"?   I think it is "The Daleks" and that
> "The Dead Planet" is only the name of the first episode.

According to my sources, you are correct.

				Steve Swope (aka scs@wucs.UUCP)

"Brigadier, A straight line may be the shortest path between
 two points, but it is by no means the most interesting!"

mom@sfmag.UUCP (M.Modig) (09/19/85)

> There are two Dr. Who movies -
> Doctor Who and the Daleks (1965)
> 		and
> The Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150 AD (1966)
> The first movie is based on the series story "The
> Daleks" a.k.a. "The Dead Planet" (#2).
> [This is supposed to be available on videocassette now.]

The last I heard, this was going to be available at the end of the summer
from Thorn-EMI.

> The second movie (*) is based on the series story "The
> Dalek Invasion of Earth" (#10).
>
> (*) - [Does anyone in the NY/NJ area know if this will
> be aired (on WOR?) on TV soon?  If it is on WOR, it may
> appear on cable systems in other areas.]

NJN (New Jersey Network) has just started showing the Hartnells--
"The Daleks" was last week; they are scheduled to show "The Dalek
Invasion of Earth"-- at this rate it will probably be late November
- early December.  I'm not sure if WOR still shows Dr. Who.

> Is there going to be a third movie?

There has been speculation about a movie several times, particularly
after Tom Baker became very popular.  Verity Lambert, the original
producer of the show, and who was at Thorn-EMI, has resigned to "go
independent."  Very speculative rumors have it that it could be to
make a Dr. Who movie.  Producer John Nathan-Turner has spoken
several times about making a movie-- it was pointed out that the current
hiatus would be a perfect time, but somehow nothing ever seems to get
past the "Yeah, it would be great to do a movie sometime" stage.

> Also, on the subject of early Dr. Who, the book
> "Doctor Who - A Celebration," lists in the back
> that there was a "Pilot" and then "An Unearthly Child."
> Is this a mistake?  I thought that "An Unearthly Child"
> was the first show (repeated the next week) with
> "The Tribe of Gum" episodes following it.

"The Key to Time" notes that a pilot episode was filmed on September
27, 1963.  It was screened a week later, and changes were made in
the dialogue and several scenes, particularly to soften the Doctor's
character.  Two weeks after that, the pilot episode was reshot, and
this is what is shown as episode number 1, "An Unearthly Child", on
November 23.

> One more question - Is the "proper" name of the
> second show (prod. code B) "The Dead Planet" or
> "The Daleks"?   I think it is "The Daleks" and that
> "The Dead Planet" is only the name of the first episode.

Everything I have read says that the proper name of the story is "The
Daleks."  The tape I have is in movie format (all episodes edited
together), and there is no title like there is for later shows.  The
only graphics as the episode gets underway say "THE DEAD PLANET",
"Written by TERRY NATION".  This is the name of the first episode of
"The Daleks" in every source I have that breaks down stories into
episodes.

Mark Modig
ihnp4!sfmag!mom

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (09/19/85)

>(*) - [Does anyone in the NY/NJ area know if this will
>be aired (on WOR?) on TV soon?  If it is on WOR, it may
>appear on cable systems in other areas.]

To the best of my knowledge, there are no such plans.

>Is there going to be a third movie?

The person who bought the rights to make Doctor Who movies bought
the rights to three.  The first two were such flops that he never
attempted a third, his possession of the rights is now a stumbling
block to a potential movie to-day.

>By the way, in the movie versions, the right side
>door of the TARDIS appears to have a "clover leaf"
>type design on it, but I haven't noticed it in
>the TV series TARDIS.  Is it the same prop?

It is not the same prop.

BTW I do know where the TARDIS from the movies is located.  Call 011-
44-1-481-0826 and ask if it is for sale! :-)  (The owner will kill me
for that! :-)

Seriously, it is on display at "The Doctor Who Shop" in London, and NOT
FOR SALE.  (They do have other interesting merchandise, if you're ever
going over, let me know and I'll give you directions on how to get
there.)

>Also, on the subject of early Dr. Who, the book
>"Doctor Who - A Celebration," lists in the back
>that there was a "Pilot" and then "An Unearthly Child."
>Is this a mistake?  I thought that "An Unearthly Child"
>was the first show (repeated the next week) with
>"The Tribe of Gum" episodes following it.

There was a pilot episode, the episode "An Unearthly Child" was a remake
of the pilot, although story-wise it was good, it was technically
inferior.

>One more question - Is the "proper" name of the
>second show (prod. code B) "The Dead Planet" or
>"The Daleks"?   I think it is "The Daleks" and that
>"The Dead Planet" is only the name of the first episode.

The names of shows A-Z are usually just the names of the first episodes,
but there are some exceptions.  "Dead Planet" to "Daleks" is one,
"World's End" to "The Daleks Invasion of Earth" is another.

On the tape released by Lionheart, although the closing credits were
changed, the title at the beginning remained as "The Dead Planet".

--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

It is a highly directional ultrasonic beam of rock and roll!  It kills!

-who said it, what story?