[net.tv.drwho] Target Novelizations

gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson) (09/18/85)

[Jam, Jam, Jam...]

I've got a LOT of the Target Doc Who novelizations, and there're a few
things that come immediately to my mind about them.

One is that Terrance Dicks is a bit of a hack.  I mean, it's nice that
he bothers to do a lot of them, but his style is a bit too pointedly
directed at children.  (Most of the books now say "Science Fiction/TV tie-in"
on the lower left corner of the back cover, instead of "Children/Fiction".
But Mr. Dicks doesn't seem to have gotten the message; many of his stories
still end with "The TARDIS was on its way to new adventures [gag].)

The other thing is that everyone who likes the books should read "The Myth
Makers" by Donald Cotton.  The idea of using the person who wrote the or-
iginal script to write the book is something that Target should be applauded
for.  "The Myth Makers" is one of the few REALLY fantastic novelizations
that I have run across. (Most of the others are by Malcolm Hulke.)  My room-
mate, a Classics major, finds the book "scurrilous" in its portrayals of
Odysseus, Achilles, et al, but that's half the fun...

Name:		G. T. Samson
Title:		The Evil MicroWizard
Quote:		"No matter where you go...there you are." -- B. Banzai
Other_Quote:	"You speak treason!" "Fluently!" 	  -- The Doctor
ARPA:		gts@wjh12 [preferred] OR samson%h-sc4@harvard
USMail:		Lowell N-43, Harvard U., Cambridge, MA 02138

pjk@hou2a.UUCP (P.KEMP) (09/25/85)

Speaking of Target Dr. Who novelizations, has "Shada" been
novelized?  If not, why?

There must be a script, since they started filming it.

Is Douglas Adams holding it from publication?

I would think that the rights would belong to the
producer (Graham Williams).

Is the script available anywhere?

--
			Paul Kemp
			ihnp4!hou2a!pjk

                      President of SPUNT
    (the Society for the Proper Usage of the Name "TARDIS")

"Are you sure this planet is supposed to be here?"

       The above statements are those of the author only,
          and are not those of AT&T Bell Laboratories.

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (09/27/85)

The three Douglas Adams stories, "Pirate Planet," "City of Death,"
and "Shada," WILL eventually be published.  The books will be written
by Adams, and hence the delays in their being written (Adams is
too lazy, and besides, he makes more money with the "Hitchiker's"
books:  he'll do the Doctor Who books one day, however).

                                         A. G. Percus
                                  (ARPA) percus@acf4
                                   (NYU) percus.acf4
                                  (UUCP) ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus

stuart@sesame.UUCP (Stuart Freedman) (09/28/85)

> Speaking of Target Dr. Who novelizations, has "Shada" been
> novelized?  If not, why?
	No		You guessed it. (see below)
> There must be a script, since they started filming it.
	Yes.
> Is Douglas Adams holding it from publication?
	Yes.  He told me that he really doesn't like it enough to publish it.
> I would think that the rights would belong to the
> producer (Graham Williams).
>
> Is the script available anywhere?

	I don't know about these last two.
--
Stuart Freedman		        {genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!stuart
Data General Corp.  (Mail Stop E-219)   {cbosgd|harvard}!talcott!sesame!stuart

samson@h-sc1.UUCP (gregory samson) (09/29/85)

In article <5020028@acf4.UUCP> percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) writes:
>The three Douglas Adams stories, "Pirate Planet," "City of Death,"
>and "Shada," WILL eventually be published.  The books will be written
>by Adams, and hence the delays in their being written (Adams is
>too lazy, and besides, he makes more money with the "Hitchiker's"
>books:  he'll do the Doctor Who books one day, however).

Where'd you get this info from?  I heard from Mr. Adams himself that he doesn't
want to novelize these episodes because his total word length is limited and
the fee paid is fixed as well and non-negotiable.  (I spoke to him when he
visited the Coop over here to autograph "Life, the Universe, and Everything".)

G. T. Samson
Commander-in-Chief, Harvar MicroWizards (Retired)
gts@wjh12.ARPA or samson%{h-sc4,h-sc1}@harvard.ARPA

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (09/30/85)

> >The three Douglas Adams stories, "Pirate Planet," "City of Death,"
> >and "Shada," WILL eventually be published.  The books will be written
> >by Adams, and hence the delays in their being written (Adams is
> >too lazy, and besides, he makes more money with the "Hitchiker's"
> >books:  he'll do the Doctor Who books one day, however).
> >
> Where'd you get this info from?  I heard from Mr. Adams himself that he doesn't
> want to novelize these episodes because his total word length is limited and
> the fee paid is fixed as well and non-negotiable.  (I spoke to him when he
> visited the Coop over here to autograph "Life, the Universe, and Everything".)

According to both Ron Katz and John Nathan-Turner, what I originally
said was true.  However, with their statements and 89 cents, I wouldn't
guarantee entrance to the New York subway (in case you didn't know,
the fare is 90c).  All the same, I very much hope it is true.