[net.tv.drwho] Visual Effects in Credits

don@allegra.UUCP (Don Mitchell) (09/30/85)

Does anyone know how the visual effects in the Dr. Who opening and
closing credits were done?  The early shows (Hartnell to middle
Pertwee) show a wavy pattern which looks like video feedback (what you
get if you point the camera into the monitor).  The psychedelic-tunnel
effect at the end of more recent shows is nice.  I have no guesses as
to how it was done.

goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) (09/30/85)

In article <5162@allegra.UUCP> don@allegra.UUCP (Don Mitchell) writes:
>Does anyone know how the visual effects in the Dr. Who opening and
>closing credits were done?  The early shows (Hartnell to middle
>Pertwee) show a wavy pattern which looks like video feedback (what you
>get if you point the camera into the monitor).  The psychedelic-tunnel
>effect at the end of more recent shows is nice.  I have no guesses as
>to how it was done.

As I understand it, the tunnel effect is achieved very easily by changing
the way the monitor is being fed the signel.  A normal view is created by
feeding the moniter a view line by line of pixals such that the image is
formed from left to right.  The tunnel view feeds in a circular motion
from the center.

--
-------
				Matthew Goldman

Home is where you take your hat off...			Banzai!

Kyllara :	What did you just do?
Moederan :	I don't know but it's going to be fun...

scs@wucs.UUCP (Steve Swope) (10/01/85)

In article <5162@allegra.UUCP>, don@allegra.UUCP (Don Mitchell) writes:
> Does anyone know how the visual effects in the Dr. Who opening and
> closing credits were done?  The early shows (Hartnell to middle
> Pertwee) show a wavy pattern which looks like video feedback (what you
> get if you point the camera into the monitor).  The psychedelic-tunnel
> effect at the end of more recent shows is nice.  I have no guesses as
> to how it was done.

The credits up until Pertwee's last season were, in fact, done using video
feedback. Pertwee's last season and the first six seasons of Tom Baker used,
I believe, a form of slit-scan photography (The opening of the stargate in
2001: A Space Odyyssey is a good example of this technique). It involves
covering a photograph or piece of artwork so that only a sliver of it will be
exposed, and moving a film camera toward it while holding the shutter open
on a single frame. The artwork is repositioned and the process repeated for
each frame.
The last Tom Baker season, and the Davison and Colin Baker seasons I'm not sure
about, but I believe they were hand animated (somewhere I have a photograph of
a BBC special effects man holding up what looks like an animation cell with
Peter Davison's picture on it).
My sources are varied, and it's possible I've forgotten or mis-remembered some
of the information. I would welcome more detailed information for my own sake.

				Steve Swope (aka scs@wucs.UUCP)

"Brigadier, A straight line may be the shortest path between
 two points, but it is by no means the most interesting!"