[net.tv.drwho] The Count on Remington Steele

lee@trsvax (09/25/85)

<>

	It seems that Remington Steele borrowed more from London
than just its scenery in the episode last night (9/24).  It also
borrowed an actor that appeared in a prominent role in a Doctor Who
story.  Julian Glover, who played the part of Chief Inspector Lombard of
Scotland Yard, also played the role of Count Scallioni in the
Doctor Who story "City of Death".  Since this Remington Steele episode
is a two-parter, you may be able to see him again next week if you missed
him this week.  To say the least, his role in Remington Steele was not
anything like his role in "City of Death".

		John L. Patterson		...!ctvax!trsvax!lee

	"You will never amount to anything in the galaxy while you
	maintain your propensity for vulgar facetiousness!"

scs@wucs.UUCP (Steve Swope) (09/28/85)

In article <70200002@trsvax>, lee@trsvax writes:

> 	It seems that Remington Steele borrowed more from London
> than just its scenery in the episode last night (9/24).  It also
> borrowed an actor that appeared in a prominent role in a Doctor Who
> story.  Julian Glover, who played the part of Chief Inspector Lombard of
> Scotland Yard, also played the role of Count Scallioni in the
> Doctor Who story "City of Death"...

	There's more! When Peter Davison was in St. Louis this summer (at
TARDISCON 85), he mentioned that he would be appearing on Remington Steele.
Unfortunately, I have no more specific information than that.

				Steve Swope (aka scs@wucs.UUCP)

"Brigadier, A straight line may be the shortest path between
 two points, but it is by no means the most interesting!"

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (10/01/85)

Another Dr. Who crossover [surprised no one else mentioned it yet!] =

Peter Davison was in the new-season-opener of Magnum, PI (set in
England). I didn't watch this -- the wife did, and I caught a bit now
and then as I passed through the room -- but it seemed that he had a
rather small part. I guess the British "repertory" actors don't mind
moving from leads to fill-in parts and back again, though, the way I
would think American actors would... (Wasn't Dr. Who the top TV show in
Britain for at least a while? One would think that the lead in such a
big show wouldn't accept lesser roles thereafter...)

Will

freak@ihlpa.UUCP (c e malloy) (10/04/85)

>                                      (Wasn't Dr. Who the top TV show in
> Britain for at least a while? One would think that the lead in such a
> big show wouldn't accept lesser roles thereafter...)
>
> Will

Fortunatly, English Actors are not like American actors.  They take
pride in whatever they do well. We, on the other hand, wouldn't think
of doing anything 'below ourselves'.  In-other-words... American
actors are in the business to accumulate honors and thus get more and
more money.  The British, while they also like the honor, look upon
their profession as a job... Any job that helps to pay the rent.

From inside the Tesseract of
	Clancy Malloy
	(ihnp4!ihlpa!freak)

| Everyone looked up and realized that we were only tenants of this world; |
|    We have been given a new lease, and a warning, from the landlord.     |

woolsey@umn-cs.UUCP (Jeff Woolsey) (10/08/85)

As long as we are finding the Doctor in other productions, I just saw him
in an old Avengers episode entitled "From Venus, With Love".  The [bit] part
of Brigadier Whitehead was played by none other than Jon Pertwee.  It was
a fairly silly episode (for the Avengers) in which lasers make noise and
emit incoherent white light.
Even the ghosts will have settled down and raised families by now.

				Jeff Woolsey
				...ihnp4{!stolaf}!umn-cs!woolsey
				woolsey@umn-cs.csnet

woolsey@umn-cs.UUCP (Jeff Woolsey) (10/09/85)

Also saw Patrick Troughton as Perkins (a rich, eccentric country person) on
an episode of Only When I Laugh.  He had on enough makeup to make it difficult
to recognize him if you did not notice his name in the opening credits.
The show is a BBC sitcom about 3 patients sharing a room in hospital.

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (10/15/85)

> ...He had on enough makeup to make it difficult
> to recognize him if you did not notice his name in the opening credits.

This is quite typical of Troughton.  He also plays Mr. March
in the BBC version of "Little Women,"  and plays Cole Hawlings
in "Box of Delights," on the PBS Wonderworks series.

                                         A. G. Percus
                                  (ARPA) percus@acf4
                                   (NYU) percus.acf4
                                  (UUCP) ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (10/17/85)

For those of you in the S.F. Bay area, Patrick Troughton appears as Anne
Boleyn's (sp?) uncle in *The Six Wives of Henry VIII* (Tuesdays on Channel
54).  Other PBS stations may also be reshowing it.

         ___________________
              ______________\
                 ___________ |
         	    ______  /
	     .ooo.     ./ /.	. o@ooo0
	    .ooooo.   .ooooo.  .oooo              Barb
        oo..oo	 oo...ooo ooo..ooo  \
     .oo  oo	  oooooo   oooooo
		    ooo	     ooo
                                    "B-but aren't you going to eat me?" sobbed
                                  the princess.
                                    "Good heavens, no!" exclaimed the dragon.
                                  "I'm a vegetarian!"