[net.tv.drwho] Tom Baker on stage as Holmes

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (10/08/85)

Excerpted from the NYTimes of Tues, 8 October:

>Dublin - A new play by Hugh Leonard, "The Mask of Moriarty", a spoof on
>Sherlock Holmes, has opened at the Dublin Theater Festival to generally
>favorable reviews.
>
>The play opened last weeek at the Dublin Gate Theater and stars Tom Baker,
>who played Doctor Who in the British television series, as Holmes.  In the
>play, Holmes is again at the center of a murder mystery, but is also the
>target of the playwright's irreverence.  So is Holmes's loyal friend and
>chronicler, Dr. Watson, who appears in drag in two scenes.
>
>The Irish Times considered the opening scenes the funniest that Mr. Leonard
>has written, but noted a falling off in the second act.  "No doubt something
>can and will be done to bring comic life back to that long sag", it said.
>"If so, Mr. Leonard will have a crazily comic and carefully written
>international hit on his hands."
>
>In the 26 years of the Dublin Theater Festival, Mr. Leonard has contributed
>18 plays, including his early adaptation from the writing of James Joyce,
>"Stephen D", and "Da", which went on to become a Tony Award-winning Broadway
>hit.

Tom Baker on Broadway as Holmes, anyone?

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {decvax, ucbvax, most Action Central}!vax135\
		       	 {topaz, pesnta, princeton}!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
ARPA: petsd!pedsgd!bobh@topaz
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "It's Reagan's fault.  Everything's Reagan's fault.  Floods...
   volcanoes...  herpes... Reagan's fault." -- Editor Overbeek, Bloom Beacon

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (10/09/85)

In article <307@pedsgd.UUCP> bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) writes:

>Tom Baker on Broadway as Holmes, anyone?

          MOST DEFINITELY!

jdia@ur-tut.UUCP (jdia) (10/17/85)

Fellow Whovians...

In article <307@pedsgd.UUCP> bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) writes:
>Excerpted from the NYTimes of Tues, 8 October:
>
>>Dublin - A new play by Hugh Leonard, "The Mask of Moriarty", a spoof on
>>Sherlock Holmes, has opened at the Dublin Theater Festival to generally
>>favorable reviews.
>>
>>The play opened last weeek at the Dublin Gate Theater and stars Tom Baker,
>>who played Doctor Who in the British television series, as Holmes.  In the
>>play, Holmes is again at the center of a murder mystery, but is also the
>>target of the playwright's irreverence.  So is Holmes's loyal friend and
>>chronicler, Dr. Watson, who appears in drag in two scenes.
>>
>>The Irish Times considered the opening scenes the funniest that Mr. Leonard
>>has written, but noted a falling off in the second act.  "No doubt something
>>can and will be done to bring comic life back to that long sag", it said.
>>"If so, Mr. Leonard will have a crazily comic and carefully written
>>international hit on his hands."
>>
>>In the 26 years of the Dublin Theater Festival, Mr. Leonard has contributed
>>18 plays, including his early adaptation from the writing of James Joyce,
>>"Stephen D", and "Da", which went on to become a Tony Award-winning Broadway
>>hit.
>
>Tom Baker on Broadway as Holmes, anyone?
>
>						Bob Halloran
>						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG

Hoorah for T.B. as Holmes!!!

I too have come across Tom Baker playing Holmes. The other night, I was
watching a production of The Hound of the Baskervilles which is being
run on the cable tv Arts&Entertainment channel.

It took only 30 seconds to notice that Holmes was being played by none
other than the Doctor with a cloak substituted for the trench-coat and
short slicked down hair replacing the familiar bush.

Not surprisingly, T.B. makes a superb Sherlock Holmes.  His manner was
absolutely perfect for the role.  My only problem is that I kept expecting
him to step into a police box and discover it to actually be the TARDIS.
Oh well...

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Holmes turned out to be the
Doctor gone back to London in the 1800's. Wouldn't that be novel.

                                                Josh Diamond
                                                --> Shekondar <--
                                                University of Rochester
                                                Computing Center
                                                Student Staff

buchbind@agrigene.UUCP (10/18/85)

> Fellow Whovians...
>
> In article <307@pedsgd.UUCP> bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) writes:
> >Excerpted from the NYTimes of Tues, 8 October:
> >>The play opened last weeek at the Dublin Gate Theater and stars Tom Baker,
> >>who played Doctor Who in the British television series, as Holmes.

> >Tom Baker on Broadway as Holmes, anyone?

> Hoorah for T.B. as Holmes!!!

> I too have come across Tom Baker playing Holmes. The other night, I was
> watching a production of The Hound of the Baskervilles which is being
> run on the cable tv Arts&Entertainment channel.

	According to 'Dr. Who - A Celebration', Tom Baker played Holmes
as part of a Saturday serial *before* he played Dr. Who.  Could that be
what you saw?
	(Of course, its hard to guess whether 'before' is really 'before'
when dealing with a Time Lord!)

--
    Barry Buchbinder			    (608)221-5000
Agrigenetics Corp.; 5649 E. Buckeye Rd.; Madison WI 53716 USA

jaffe@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (Saul) (10/18/85)

> Actually, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Holmes turned out to be the
> Doctor gone back to London in the 1800's. Wouldn't that be novel.

Actually, I believe that was the whole intent of the episode "The Talons of Weng Chiang".  The episode took place in 19th century London and Baker walked around in the typical Holmes type outfit.  There was also a doctor character who figured prominently in the episode and I believe he lived on Baker Street.
--
Saul Jaffe
Systems Programmer

mauney@ncsu.UUCP (Jon Mauney) (10/23/85)

 > From: jdia@ur-tut.UUCP (jdia)
 >
 > Hoorah for T.B. as Holmes!!!
 >
 > Not surprisingly, T.B. makes a superb Sherlock Holmes.

I beg to differ!  Tom Baker walks through the part in Hound of
the Baskervilles, declaiming his lines instead of speaking them.
After seeing Jeremy Brett as Holmes, Baker's portrayal seems
entirely wooden.  Holmes is a strange man, but not that strange.

Tom Baker could probably be good as Holmes, but in this case,
he doesn't seem to have tried to get into the part.
--
Jon Mauney,    mcnc!ncsu!mauney         North Carolina State University

"If God had intended Man to fly, he would never have given us the railways."

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (10/30/85)

> After seeing Jeremy Brett as Holmes, Baker's portrayal seems
> entirely wooden.  Holmes is a strange man, but not that strange.

Let's take things the opposite way round.  Anybody for Jeremy
Brett as the Seventh Doctor?

[Oh, did I mention this before?  If I did, sorry]

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus
        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
        |II II|
        -------

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (10/31/85)

>> Not surprisingly, T.B. makes a superb Sherlock Holmes.
>
> I beg to differ!  Tom Baker walks through the part in Hound of
> the Baskervilles, declaiming his lines instead of speaking them.
> After seeing Jeremy Brett as Holmes, Baker's portrayal seems
> entirely wooden.  Holmes is a strange man, but not that strange.
>
> Tom Baker could probably be good as Holmes, but in this case,
> he doesn't seem to have tried to get into the part.

Having just seen HotB, I must agree with this.  I had two problems
with Baker as Holmes: first, I kept imagining him as the Doctor,
not as Sherlock Holmes.  Second, it seems that he entirely lacks
the "sharpness" necessary for Holmes' character that Jeremy Brett
had.

All in all, I find it difficult to imagine him in the part, even while
watching it.  I'd be very curious to see how this play in Ireland
turns out.

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus