[net.tv.drwho] Old companions

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (11/07/85)

As someone who has seen all the companions, I think I can answer
the query about what some of the older companions were like:

Susan Foreman (Carole Ann Ford):  Young, uncertain, very dependent
on the Doctor, prone to panic

Barbara Wright (Jacqueline Hill):  Middle aged, level headed,
responsible, often used to provide the Doctor with a "more human"
viewpoint.

Ian Chesterton (William Russell):  Middle aged, the guy who does
all the physical stuff.  Is seen to be learning greater tolerance
and open mindedness.

Vicki (Maureen O'Brien):  similar to Susan  (have only seen once)

Steve (Peter Purves):  A bit more impulsive that Ian, similar role.

Katarina (Adrienne Hill):  very short lived character, worshiped the
Doctor.  She died after four episodes, a self sacrifice to save the
Doctor.

Sarah Kingdom (Jean Marsh):  a very strong minded character and
a "gunslinger".  Killed her brother, Bret Vyon (Nicholas Courtney)
and started as an opponent of the Doctor.  Eventually changed sides,
only to be killed by Mavec Chen's Time Destructor.

Dodo (Jackie Lane):  A bit thick, from what I remember.

Ben Jackson (Micheal Craze):  The muscle man of the TARDIS, very
protective of both the Doctor and Polly, whom he addressed as "Duchess".

Polly (Anneke Wills):  Joined and left with Ben, a 1960's girl in the
TARDIS.  Although not very bright, was rather intuitive.  Combined
the role of Susan and Barbara without Susan's failings, but without
Barbara's inner strength.

James Robert McCrimmon (Jamie, Frazer Hines):  A Jacobite piper.
Was the perfect match for Patrick Troughton's Doctor.  Very thick, but
also fiercly loyal.  Extremely eager, as well.  (My favourite companion)

Victoria Waterfield (Deborah Watling):  Daughter of a Victorian era
scientist who was killed by the Daleks, nicknamed "Leatherlungs" on the
set because of how well she screamed.  Was the female companion
during the "monster" season which introduced the Yeti and the Ice
Warriors, as well as having a Cyberman story and a Dalek story.
Her Victorian female morals were a point of humour in those stories.

Zoe (Wendy Padbury):  A scientist from the 21st century, she often
"corrected" the Doctor.  Her knowledge was not used well, although
her quote "The Doctor is almost as brilliant as I am" is one of the
more famous in the series.

Liz Shaw (Caroline John):  A 20th century scientist assigned to aid
the Doctor while he was in exile on earth.  Not well used, left after
one season.

Jo Grant (Katy Manning): Another "flower power" type, very popular.  Her
uncle was involved in the UN and got her the UNIT job which made
her the Doctor's assistant.

Sarah Jane Smith (Liz Sladen):  A nespaper reporter who scented s story
involving the Doctor, stowed away on the TARDIS and remained.  She
was known for her strong views on women's liberation.

Lt. Harry Sullivan (Ian Marter):  Royal Navy Doctor, was tricked into
the TARDIS by the Doctor, and left as soon as he returned to 20th
century earth.  Could be a bit slow, and held very outdated views on
how to treat a lady.  These antagonized Sarah no end.

Leela (Louise Jameson):  A primitive.  well known to shoot (well, throw
her knife/janus thorn/whatever) first and question later.  Very
popular with the gentlemen in the audience(!), her instinct and
intuition were relied upon by the Doctor on many occaisons.

K9 (voice by John Leeson, usually):  The robot computer.  A real
wise guy.

Romanadvoratnalundar I (Mary Tamm):  A Time Lady assigned to assist
the Doctor in the search for the Key to Time by the White Guardian,
had a superior attitude which mellowed as she gained respect for
the Doctor's experience.

Romama II (Lalla Ward):  A regeneration of Romana, lacked the
superiority of #1, and was much more frivilous.  Was well matched
with Tom Baker's Doctor.

Adric (Matthew Waterhouse):  A mathematical genious from the planet
Alzarius in the "exospace time continuum", another universe that ther
TARDIS slipped into.  Was young, brash, and impulsive.  Lost his brother
and stowed away on the TARDIS.

Nyssa (Sarah Sutton):  Biologist daughter of a Traken noble, was not
well used.  Usually intelligent and level headed.  (Her planet was
destoyed in the story where she joined the TARDIS.)

Tegan Jovanka (Janet Fielding):  Australian air stewardess, was
impulsive but well liked by the Doctor.

Wisla Turlough (Mark Strickson):  Native of Trion, was exiled to
earth due to his father's opposition to the Trion government.
Joined the TARDIS as an agent of the Black Guardian, grew to
repect the Doctor and his morals, but you were never quite sure
he was sincere in anything he did.

Chameleon (robot):  A robot who could assume the shapes of others,
was used twice.

Perpugilliam Brown (Nicola Bryant):  An American (allegedly with
a typical American name, how many Perpugilliams do you know?).
Screams a lot.  Also has harmonic motion.

That covers it.  I hope I didn't offend anybody, if so, flame away,
I can take it!
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"All these corridors look the same to me!"  Who said it, what story?

ins_ajpo@jhunix (11/09/85)

> Wisla Turlough (Mark Strickson):  Native of Trion, was exiled to
> earth due to his father's opposition to the Trion government.
> Joined the TARDIS as an agent of the Black Guardian, grew to
> repect the Doctor and his morals, but you were never quite sure
> he was sincere in anything he did.

	One complaint:  Turlough's first name is Vislor.

                                             Thanks for the list,
                                                 Joe Ogulin

"One day, I shall come back.  Yes, I shall come back.  Until then, there must
  be no tears, no regrets, no anxieties.  Just go forward in all your beliefs
  and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine."
                                                  --The Doctor
                                          "The Dalek Invasion of Earth"
                                     & opening scene of "The Five Doctors"

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) (11/10/85)

In article <945@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
>Romanadvoratnalundar I (Mary Tamm):  A Time Lady assigned to assist

You misspelled it, as far as I can remember.

>Romama II (Lalla Ward):  A regeneration of Romana, lacked the

This is also a misspelling. (RomaNa).

>Chameleon (robot):  A robot who could assume the shapes of others,

Kamelion, not Chameleon!
By the way, YOU LEFT OUT THE BRIGADIER (etc...)
>--
>James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa
>
>"All these corridors look the same to me!"  Who said it, what story?

I would really appreciate it if you'd post the answers to these after
you asked them for a while!
If you know the alphabet up to 'k', you can teach it up to 'k'.

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM and INS_AKAA at JHUVMS
CSNET: ins_akaa@jhunix.CSNET
ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_akaa

dr37@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Joanna Bryson) (11/11/85)

I only have two quibbles with James' companion evaluation.  First, I'm
a female, and Leela's one of my favorite companions because of the way
she interacted with Tom Baker.  Second, I don't think either of the
Doctors were overly fond of Teegan, she seemed to be nothing but trouble.
I use as evidence the episode in which she returns (I've forgotten the
title of it) when she informs Nyssa and the Doctor that she has nowhere
else to go so she would come back to them, Nyssa gets excited, but the
Doctor rolls his eyes in apparent frustration.  The only reason she was
initially allowed to stay is that the doctor realized her aunt had been
killed (by the master) and Tom Baker was the compassionate sort.  But you
may recall, that was the episode (Logopolis) where he goes into his "I
NEVER choose my companions" tyrade.

Joanna

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (11/12/85)

> In article <945@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
> >Romanadvoratnalundar I (Mary Tamm):  A Time Lady assigned to assist
>
> You misspelled it, as far as I can remember.

Yup.  The correct spelling is "Romanadvoratrelundar."

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus
        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
        |II II|
        -------

mom@sfmag.UUCP (M.Modig) (11/12/85)

> Second, I don't think either of the
> Doctors were overly fond of Teegan, she seemed to be nothing but trouble.

I think that the Doctor liked Tegan more than he generally let on,
even though he occasionally said or acted otherwise.  I think he was
more exasperated than anything else at Tegan's attitude and moods
sometimes, but overall, he generally liked her.  Remember, he was
ready to give up being a Time Lord to save (Nyssa and) her in
"Mawdryn Undead".

Mark Modig
ihnp4!sfmag!mom

mom@sfmag.UUCP (M.Modig) (11/12/85)

> > Wisla Turlough (Mark Strickson):  Native of Trion, was exiled to
> 	One complaint:  Turlough's first name is Vislor.

True, but I sort of get the impression that Vislor is some sort of
title, either military or aristocratic.  I don't have anything to
point to really, tho I've seen "Planet of Fire" and read the
novelisation.  He is an "Imperial Trion", whatever that is; this had
something to do with his exile in the first place.  I suppose an
"Imperial Trion" might have some sort of title.

Mark Modig
ihnp4!sfmag!mom

mom@sfmag.UUCP (M.Modig) (11/12/85)

> In article <945@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
> >Romanadvoratnalundar I (Mary Tamm):  A Time Lady assigned to assist
>
> You misspelled it, as far as I can remember.

It's spelled Romanadvoratrelundar, but Mary Tamm pronounces it more
like James has it spelled in "The Ribos Operation" (there's
certainly no trace of the "tre" in her pronunciation, so it's hard
to say if either is completely correct.)

> >Romama II (Lalla Ward):  A regeneration of Romana, lacked the
>
> This is also a misspelling. (RomaNa).

I'm not sure where this is from-- every time I've seen it, it's been
"Romana".

Mark Modig
ihnp4!sfmag!mom

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (11/12/85)

>I only have two quibbles with James' companion evaluation.  First, I'm
>a female, and Leela's one of my favorite companions because of the way
>she interacted with Tom Baker.

I don't think that I passed any editorial judgement of companions
in my short description of companions posting ("Old Companions").
That I left for an earlier posting.  Should anyone be interested, I
can post my personal views of these companions from what I've seen,
as opposed to just the short descriptions.

>Second, I don't think either of the
>Doctors were overly fond of Teegan, she seemed to be nothing but trouble.

She was nothing but trouble, true, but did you see how hurt the Doctor
was when she left at Butler's Wharf?  (Location for Ressurection)  How
he tries practically to woo her at the end of King's Demons?

>I use as evidence the episode in which she returns (I've forgotten the
>title of it) when she informs Nyssa and the Doctor that she has nowhere
>else to go so she would come back to them, Nyssa gets excited, but the
>Doctor rolls his eyes in apparent frustration.

The Doctor has always been a good humoured character!

>The only reason she was
>initially allowed to stay is that the doctor realized her aunt had been
>killed (by the master) and Tom Baker was the compassionate sort.

What is this "allowed to stay"?  The earliest time in which Tegan
could have been returned to earth after getting lost in the TARDIS
corridors was Timeflight.  The Doctor didn't know she was there until
they were off earth, and they didn't return with a competant Doctor
until then.

>But you
>may recall, that was the episode (Logopolis) where he goes into his "I
>NEVER choose my companions" tyrade.

Which was a ruse to mollify the companions upset at being "dumped" for
the Master.  Many companions the Doctor has chosen.  Most recent shown
here is Vicki.

--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"All these corridors look the same to me!"  Who said it, what story?

dr37@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Joanna Bryson) (11/13/85)

I don't want to make a major debate of this, but I will stand up for myself a
bit.  First, in regard to my comment on Leela, James said she was a favorite
amongst male fans, and I was broadening that statement.  Second, I thought the
reason the doctor was so upset on the dock was the REASON she left, not that
she was leaving.  He said something to the effect of "You can't leave, *not
like this*" because she was in tears, and he felt responsible since he had
failed to find a solution that didn't involve a lot of carnage.  I thought
the way he stated the "I must mend my ways" thing was more like evaluating
a failed experiment than remorse for loosing a favored companion.  But then
I've only seen that episode once.  I actually enjoyed the companion list, so
don't take my comments as criticism, only as friendly discourse.

Joanna

ewan@uw-june (Ewan Tempero) (11/13/85)

>Leela (Louise Jameson):  A primitive.  well known to shoot (well, throw
>her knife/janus thorn/whatever) first and question later.  Very
>popular with the gentlemen in the audience(!), her instinct and
>intuition were relied upon by the Doctor on many occaisons.

My favourite companion ( have just seen her leave ). While primitive
she seemed very intelligent. Didn't let the Doctor push her around
(much)

>Perpugilliam Brown (Nicola Bryant):  An American (allegedly with
>a typical American name, how many Perpugilliams do you know?).
>Screams a lot.  Also has harmonic motion.

I saw her at the end of the 22nd season. Don't tell me she stays all
through the 23rd! ( This is the last one listed )

--
            Ewan

------------
Ewan Tempero
UUCP: ...!uw-beaver!uw-june!ewan    ARPA: ewan@washington.ARPA

Quote: "Doctor!!"  --- Who said it and what episode (Be specific :-)

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (11/16/85)

In article <1319@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> dr37@sphinx (Joanna Bryson) writes:
>[....]Second, I don't think either of the Doctors were overly fond of Teegan
>[...] when she informs Nyssa and the Doctor that she has nowhere
>else to go so she would come back to them, Nyssa gets excited, but the
>Doctor rolls his eyes in apparent frustration.

Well, I read the novelisation of "Arc of Infinity" before I saw the
episode, and I was surprised at Davison's expression, 'coz in the
book it goes like this:

     Tegan said, "Well, you're stuck with me."
     The Doctor smiled wryly, "So it seems."
     Curiously enough, he found he didn't mind at all.

If the book follows the script faithfully, than I think Davison's bungled it.
Anyway, I think Tegan is fun to watch, especially her first appearence.

--
Henry Chai, just a humble student at the
Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto