[net.tv.drwho] Survival in vacuum

ph@wucec2.UUCP (Paul Hahn) (12/03/85)

In article <341@mmm.UUCP> cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) writes:
>Time Lords and even mere human beings do NOT explode when exposed to vacuum,
>as you all seem to suppose they should.  It is very uncomfortable,
>however, and it is not possible (or at least not safe to try) to hold
>your breath.  A greater danger is the temperature.

	    I don't understand.  Vacuum is an excellent insulator.  Is
	it that the body loses excessive heat from the rapid sublimation
	of sweat etc.?  I would think that other effects of the lack
	pressure would become problematic before this.  Or do you mean
	that radiation from nearby suns would cook us?  Please explain.

						--pH
/*
 *	    "Don't mind me; I never do."
 */

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (12/05/85)

> In article <341@mmm.UUCP> cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) writes:
> >Time Lords and even mere human beings do NOT explode when exposed to vacuum,
> >  A greater danger is the temperature.
>
>   Vacuum is an excellent insulator.

Yup. It is, the entity would probably cook from radiation much faster...
which brings up a much grater danger:

    If the being didn't explode from explosive decompression (an
       issue which is still not clear)

                and

    If the being did not at least have the bends and/or every organ in
       its body ruptured from escaping gases

                and

    If the being were not fried by heat radiation at least...

                then

    The being would be freeze-dried as every drop of liquid in
       its system boiled away....

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center