[net.tv.drwho] WTTW Chicago announces new acquisitions

ags@pucc-h (Dave Seaman) (12/02/85)

WTTW, Channel 11, Chicago has announced a set of new acquisitions.
From memory:

		24 William Hartnells
		10 Patrick Troughtons
		17 Jon Pertwees
		9  Colin Bakers
		--
		60 total

This is not stories, not episodes, but "showings", typically a complete
4-parter or half a 6-parter.  Channel 11 has also retained the rights to:

		22 Jon Pertwees
		46 Tom Bakers
		19 Peter Davisons

for a grand total of 147 "showings".  I'll bet they didn't include "The
Five Doctors" among the Peter Davisons, even though it has already been
on Channel 11.

They claim they haven't decided yet when the new acquisitions will be shown.
Fans were apparently flooding the phone lines at pledge time trying to find
out, but all they would say was "Watch your newspapers and the Dial magazine."
I can think of two likely scenarios:

  1.  Continue with the rest of the Tom Baker and Peter Davison stories,
      then go to Colin Baker.  Even allowing for the fact that they are
      showing four extra nights next week and will probably do the same
      at pledge time in March, that would take until the first week of
      July, by my reckoning.

  2.  Finish the Tom Bakers, then skip Peter Davison this time around.
      This would skip from "Logopolis" to "The Twin Dilemma" in March
      (right at pledge time).
--
Dave Seaman	  {decvax|harpo|ihnp4|inuxc|seismo|ucbvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h!ags

brown@nicmad.UUCP (12/04/85)

In article <2491@pucc-h> ags@pucc-h (Dave Seaman) writes:
>WTTW, Channel 11, Chicago has announced a set of new acquisitions.
>From memory:
>
>		24 William Hartnells

There are only 17 complete Hartnell stories available.  There are 6 stories
that are 6 parts or more, which could make for 23 showings.  If I understand
your definition of showings, ie, takings 6 or more parters and showing them
in two sections.

>		10 Patrick Troughtons

There are only 5 Troughton stories available.  'War Games' is being shown
in two parts of 5 episodes each, for a total of 6 showings.

>		17 Jon Pertwees

There are 24 Jon Pertwee stories available.  All that he ever made.  There are
14 stories which are 6 parts or more, which could make 38 showings.

>		9  Colin Bakers

There are only 7 Colin Baker stories available.  One of which is a 3 parter,
equal to the old 6 parters.  That could make 8 showings.

>		--
>		60 total

                75 total showings

>This is not stories, not episodes, but "showings", typically a complete
>4-parter or half a 6-parter.  Channel 11 has also retained the rights to:
>
>		22 Jon Pertwees

Included in above list.

>		46 Tom Bakers
>		19 Peter Davisons
>
>for a grand total of 147 "showings".  I'll bet they didn't include "The

I get a total of 140 showings.

--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \

ags@pucc-h (Dave Seaman) (12/06/85)

In article <453@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>There are only 17 complete Hartnell stories available.  There are 6 stories
>that are 6 parts or more, which could make for 23 showings.  If I understand
>your definition of showings, ie, takings 6 or more parters and showing them
>in two sections.

I checked the figures I posted against the ones I wrote down when the
announcement was made, and they agree.  I notice that at least one other
person has already posted the same figures to the net.  If there is a
mistake, it is Channel 11's mistake.

I also counted only 23 Hartnell stories, but I notice that "The Tenth Planet"
has only the last episode missing, and that the regeneration scene is
preserved.  It seems possible that they might have built a show out of that,
especially since some Pertwee stories have been shown with parts missing.

>There are only 5 Troughton stories available.  'War Games' is being shown
>in two parts of 5 episodes each, for a total of 6 showings.

I have never seen a 5-parter on WTTW, but I think it is possible the two
Troughton 5-parters may be shown in two parts each and 'War Games' in
three parts.  That would make nine showings.  The tenth may be a reconstructed
version of a story that has one episode missing.

>There are 24 Jon Pertwee stories available.  All that he ever made.  There are
>14 stories which are 6 parts or more, which could make 38 showings.

There is also a Pertwee 5-parter, which might make two showings.  Total:  39.

>There are only 7 Colin Baker stories available.  One of which is a 3 parter,
>equal to the old 6 parters.  That could make 8 showings.

I don't know about Colin Baker.  One possibility is that they somehow(?)
counted "The Five Doctors" as a Colin Baker story.  They apparently did not
count it as a Peter Davison story, since that should have made 20.

Last time they showed "The Five Doctors" on Channel 11 (January, 1985) it
came after "The Caves of Androzani" instead of in its proper place at the
beginning of the twenty-first season.  This is even harder to figure out
when you realize that they would have shown "The Five Doctors" during their
special fundraising "Doctor Who Week" in December, 1984, if they had not
disrupted the sequence.

Another possibility is that they counted "The Caves of Androzani" as a
Colin Baker story.

>I get a total of 140 showings.

I get:

		24 William Hartnell
		10 Patrick Troughton
		39 Jon Pertwee
		46 Tom Baker
		20 Peter Davison
		 8 Colin Baker
		--
	       147 total
--

brown@nicmad.UUCP (12/08/85)

[line eater, go get WTTW for breaking up the stories]

You know what make all of this story counting mute?  WTTW could do what
they should be doing, that is, play the movie form as movie form, without
breaking it up, or play the episode form, which has the natural breaks.

The idea of breaking up the 5 -> 7 part stories into two parts sucks.
The one exception to the rule will be Troughton's "War Games".  Ten parts
IS a little too much for any station to handle at one time.  But, WTTW plays
the Doctor late at night, so 5 -> 7 parts shown all at once wouldn't hurt.

True, breaking up the stories makes them last longer.  Probably the main
reason that it is done.