[net.tv.drwho] NOT starting rumors

lipinski@hpisla.UUCP (Greg Lipinski) (12/05/85)

     ... I'm just trying to get some answers.

A few weeks ago we had some discussion about the length of the
23rd season. I didn't hear any questions about this at TARDIS 22.
However I just got my latest issue of the Whovian Times (very late -
as usual), and Jeremy Bentham from England again quotes the 14
episodes number. What's the real story here.

Also, Jeremy states that Lionheart now has 17 Hartnell episodes,
including "The Time Meddler" and "The War Machines" both recently
recovered from Nigeria. At Tardis 22 JN-T stated that no new episodes
have been found for quite a while. Any-one know the true story on
this one. These episodes aren't in the tentaive schedule for NJN
posted by James.

Is this Bentham guy all wet, or what? He's supposed to be fairly
knowledgable having written for DWM and been with DWAS.

  "Reality is crutch for people who can't handle science fiction".

				         Greg Lipinski
					 ihnp4!hpfcla!hpisla!lipinski

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (12/07/85)

> Also, Jeremy states that Lionheart now has 17 Hartnell episodes,
> including "The Time Meddler" and "The War Machines" both recently
> recovered from Nigeria. At Tardis 22 JN-T stated that no new episodes
> have been found for quite a while. Any-one know the true story on
> this one. These episodes aren't in the tentaive schedule for NJN
> posted by James.

It's true that Lionheart has both "The Time Meddler" and "The War Machines,"
and New Jersey Network IS showing them.  In their preview of the Hartnells,
Troughtons, and Colin Bakers, they mentioned both of those stories.
In addition, NJN's program guide this month lists "The Time Meddler"
for December 21.  James Armstrong probably didn't have this information yet
when he made the tentative schedule (it was, after all, only tentative).

> Is this Bentham guy all wet, or what?

No, this JN-T guy is all wet.  He doesn't know what he's talking about,
which doesn't surprise me at all -- he also said that the Colin Bakers
wouldn't be seen here for another few years, after the negotiations
had already been made with Lionheart!

>   "Reality is crutch for people who can't handle science fiction".

The next person who misquotes Terrance Dicks will get a lethal ultrasonic
message in the mail (I've figured out how to do it.)

The unbutchered quote is infinitely better:

              "Reality is a crutch for people who can't
               handle science fiction conventions"
                                            Terrance Dicks

Be seeing you.

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus
        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
        |II II|
        -------

brown@nicmad.UUCP (12/07/85)

In article <55500018@hpislb.UUCP> lipinski@hpisla.UUCP (Greg Lipinski) writes:

>     ... I'm just trying to get some answers.
>
>A few weeks ago we had some discussion about the length of the
>23rd season. I didn't hear any questions about this at TARDIS 22.
>However I just got my latest issue of the Whovian Times (very late -
>as usual), and Jeremy Bentham from England again quotes the 14
>episodes number. What's the real story here.

Greg, you must have missed the very first panel after the opening ceremonies,
on Friday.  I gave a copy of the posted news piece about the 14 episode length
to JNT.  JNT's answer was: I have nothing to say at this time.  Then
he went on to say that this week there was going to be a news conference.
The news conference will be held in England, so we will have to wait for
the British net.tv.drwho readers to post what the news conference was
about.  Hopefully it will answer all of the rumors going around.

BTW, nice meeting you both at Tardis 22.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \

mom@sfmag.UUCP (M.Modig) (12/07/85)

>      ... I'm just trying to get some answers.
>
> A few weeks ago we had some discussion about the length of the
> 23rd season. I didn't hear any questions about this at TARDIS 22.
> However I just got my latest issue of the Whovian Times (very late -
> as usual), and Jeremy Bentham from England again quotes the 14
> episodes number. What's the real story here.

There is NOTHING definite yet.  Rumor has it that there will be 14
episodes.  One thing supposedly supporting this is that a missent
telegram saying there would only be 14 episodes is alleged to have
turned up at DWFCA in Denver.  It is known that JN-T has been
comissioning a lot of scripts, more than would be the case even for
a normal season, so there is an effort underway to make the next
season one of the best written at least.  Anyway, the rumors keep
flying, and no-one has arisen to shoot them down.  We won't know for
sure until production actually gets under way, set for next April or
so.

> Also, Jeremy states that Lionheart now has 17 Hartnell episodes,
> including "The Time Meddler" and "The War Machines" both recently
> recovered from Nigeria. At Tardis 22 JN-T stated that no new episodes
> have been found for quite a while. Any-one know the true story on
> this one. These episodes aren't in the tentaive schedule for NJN
> posted by James.

The recovery is fairly old news, probably getting on for at least a
year now.  The list I have at home seems to indicate that NJN will
show these two, but I could be wrong.

> Is this Bentham guy all wet, or what? He's supposed to be fairly
> knowledgable having written for DWM and been with DWAS.

No one official has really said anything yet, but people like Mr.
Bentham who are just removed from being official, have been consistently
reporting such rumors, so it seems possible.  Again, NOTHING is
certain until production actually begins.  Rumors have even
conflicted about how the 14 episodes might be broken up (4,6,4 or
4,2,2,2,4 seem the most popular.)  Former producer Graham Williams
wrote a script for the 23rd season; rumor has it this script, which
was to feature the Celestial Toymaker from the Hartnell story of the
same name, has been shelved, but scripts from Philip Martin
(Vengeance on Varos) and Pip and Jane Baker (Mark of the Rani) are
supposedly forthcoming.

There have also been rumors that the 23rd season will have a
dominant theme: a threat to Gallifrey, thus making it easy to send
up most everybody at the end of the season in a helluva Blake's 7
style bang, the story to be titled "Gallifrey."  The latest DWAS
newsletter says no, thereis no episode called "Gallifrey" up for
next year.  Believe what you want.

Personally, I've about had it with "threats to Gallifrey".  None of
the foes we've seen (with the possible exception of the Black
Guardian) should be able to seriously threaten the Time Lords if
they had half a brain, and besides, it's been done before.  The show
needs to move on, which means infrequent appearances by old foes,
and then only for good reason.  Last season we had the Cybermen, the
Daleks, and the Master.  Shows were ridden with continuity and other
mistakes.  It's time to move on.  If the next season goes over old
ground with old foes, it may be the last season for Dr. Who.

Mark Modig
ihnp4!sfmag!mom

dr37@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Joanna Bryson) (12/08/85)

Over Tardis (better known as Thanksgiving) weekend, the Chicago Tribune
published an interview with JNT in thier Friday weekend section.  I
neglected saving it, so these aren't exact quotes, but he mentioned the
rumors that this coming season was a trial or shortened season, and called
them absolute rubbish.  He said the show was in absolutely no trouble, that
the hiatus was purely financial handwaving by the BBC, and it would
actually serve to strengthen the show because it gave him time to review
the scripts, rather than being forced to choose the scripts for the next
season while producing the current one, like he usually is.  If we don't
know the truth, at least we know what they want us to believe.

Joanna

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (12/09/85)

>     ... I'm just trying to get some answers.
>
>A few weeks ago we had some discussion about the length of the
>23rd season. I didn't hear any questions about this at TARDIS 22.
>However I just got my latest issue of the Whovian Times (very late -
>as usual),

(Does such a thing still exist?)

>           and Jeremy Bentham from England again quotes the 14
>episodes number. What's the real story here.

The season is now 14 episodes, but on a budget of 26 episodes.
Mr. Nathan-Turner is using the extra money to commission scripts
(20!), so that he and Mr. Saward can chose the three strongest.
They have narrowed it down to four.

>Also, Jeremy states that Lionheart now has 17 Hartnell episodes,
>including "The Time Meddler" and "The War Machines" both recently
>recovered from Nigeria. At Tardis 22 JN-T stated that no new episodes
>have been found for quite a while. Any-one know the true story on
>this one. These episodes aren't in the tentaive schedule for NJN
>posted by James.

Apparently, "The Time Meddler" should have been on the list I posted
earlier, I do not know which one shouldn't.  (Maybe my list was short,
it seemed so at the time.)

The episodes receovered from Nigeria were recovered over a year ago.

>Is this Bentham guy all wet, or what? He's supposed to be fairly
>knowledgable having written for DWM and been with DWAS.

There are conflicts within British DW fans.  Rumour has it that there
is a collector who has ALL THE MISSING EPISODES.  I am attempting
myself to get to the heart of this rumour, if I can acquire any
of these missing episodes, the epithet "missing" will no longer
be appropriate (translated:  I will give them to the BBC).

Among the people who is alleged to know of the location of these
episodes is Mr. Bentham.  Whether or not he does know is another
matter, but there are people who believe that he does.  (These people
also believe that Ron Katz knows, as well.)

The split is roughly between DWB (Doctor Who Bulletin) and the DWAS.

DWB is the "National Enquirer" of fandom.  DWAS is trying to present
the British fans as rational people (Remember the television
incedent?).  DWAS has also had a purge of those people who were in
fandom solely to get themselves close to the stars. (Something needed
in some organisations here, I reckon!)

As some of you know, I am the leader of a local club in New Jersey,
"The Jersey Jagaroth".  There came a time when I had to explain
some of the politics of other clubs in the area to a fellow high
councillor (A person in another club who was in it solely for
personal gain), he was not surprised, but just saddened.

I, too, am saddened that there are those people who are out solely
for themselves and not the good of the show and the fans.
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"Three of them!  I didn't know when I was luck!"
Who said it, what story?