[net.tv.drwho] Season Reviews, Season 22 pt. II

ckuppe@spock.UUCP (Charles A. Kupperman '87 ) (12/06/85)

I would like to say here and now that Colin Baker is a terrific Doctor.
He adds style, flair, and a great unpredictability to a character that
might have lost these characteristics.  If there is a bone I pick with the
first Baker season it is with its scripts, not its actors.  Having seen Baker
and Nicola Bryant at conventions, I can say with some authority that they are
both charming, talented people.

Vengeance on Varos, by Philip Martin, was the story most fans were
instinctively drawn toward.  It was the only story this season that did
not feature an old villain (apart from Timelash), and it was very highly
praised by all those who saw it.  Despite the plot, which in places
resembles ever so slightly a remake of the Sunmakers, this is indeed a
very good adventure.  Colin Baker, once he gets out of the Tardis, is in
full swing, and the adventure has a lot of grace to it.  The basic plot,
about a decadent society entertained by frequent executions and
tortures, is greatly enhanced by the framing device of having two
characters watching a TV screen throughout the adventure and commenting
on everything that happens.  They are really the characters that make
the whole premise seem believable.

Mark of the Rani, by Pip and Jane Baker, is really horrendous.  Again,
the acting is very good, (Mostly), but the script is simply awful.
Not in terms of lines.  There are a number of well-written lines, but
they fail to save the script.  The plot is dreadful, with the Master
having no clear intentions other than to generally mess around and get
in everyone's way, the Rani wishing only to be left in peace by the
Doctor and the Master, and Peri just wanting to go home.  To put it
bluntly: There is no plot.  None of the characters have real
motivations, and few of them behave in a realistic fashion.  Watching
Mark of the Rani is like watching interesting, if idiosyncratic, mice
run around a cage in unpredictable, but pointless, circles.
And after a while, even the most dedicated mice lover will get bored watching.

The Two Doctors, by Robert Holmes, is unjustly the most ignored story of
the season.  Because it was not publicised at all, unlike The Five
Doctors, it plumbed a terrible low of 6 million viewers.  This story was
criticised by fans who, disillusioned with most of Doctor Who and
especially the "returning Doctor" stories, disliked Troughton's
performance.  The typical attitude of fans I met was to scorn this story
as inferior to the great stories of the 60's.  Another aspect of this
story that disappointed the fans was the inclusion of the Sontarans.
Not only had the beasts grown necks, but they also have no relevance
whatsoever to the plot.  They were included as extra hype, it seemed.
Then there were the Androgums, the main villains of the piece.  They
seemed to be slightly silly, and were rejected by fans as ridiculous.
	My personal viewpoint is that this story is a potential classic
ruined by too many insertions.  The Androgums strike me as "another
piece of brilliance from the late professor Kettlewell", or another
ingenious race from Holmes.  Two Doctors succeeds because it has a clear
moral point, in favor of vegetarianism.  The Androgums are simply
exaggerated carnivores who include human beings in their diet.  Thus,
calling them "cannibals", as Mary Whitehouse, a self-appointed
television censor, did, is ridiculous.  The story is aided by good
acting from all characters and Patrick Troughton and Frazer Hines turn
out marvellous performances.  This story will never be a classic because
of the poor way the Sontarans were thrust in and the overfull script,
but it will remain one of my favorite stories because of its innovative
ideas and strong moral.
	(Incidentally, when I briefly saw Patrick Troughton at
Panopticon VI, he said he had been a vegetarian in real life, but had
changed to simply eating chickens and fish, "Because those are things I
can kill myself.")

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) (12/09/85)

In article <312@spock.UUCP> ckuppe@spock.UUCP (Charles A. Kupperman '87 ) writes:
>My personal viewpoint is that this story [Two Doctors] is a potential classic
>ruined by too many insertions.  The Androgums strike me as "another
>piece of brilliance from the late professor Kettlewell", or another
>ingenious race from Holmes.  Two Doctors succeeds because it has a clear
>moral point, in favor of vegetarianism.  The Androgums are simply
>exaggerated carnivores who include human beings in their diet.  Thus,
>calling them "cannibals", as Mary Whitehouse, a self-appointed
>television censor, did, is ridiculous.  The story is aided by good
>acting from all characters and Patrick Troughton and Frazer Hines turn
>out marvellous performances.  This story will never be a classic because
>of the poor way the Sontarans were thrust in and the overfull script,
>but it will remain one of my favorite stories because of its innovative
>ideas and strong moral.

Disclaimer: I have not seen this episode.

On our 20-th century Earth, the only real thinking beings are humans.  In
a SF setting where there are other thinking beings, it would not be too
unreasonable to call "cannibalism" the consumption of one thinking being
by another, in which case this would indeed be cannibalism.

Furthermore, I do not see how this particular show could possibly be
a reasonable argument for vegetarianism, because there are no reasons
given not to eat animals that don't also apply to plants.  (I am not
saying there aren't any vegetarian arguments that do provide such reasons,
only that the show, as you describe it and as I have read about in other
reviews of, does not.)
--
If you know the alphabet up to 'k', you can teach it up to 'k'.

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM and INS_AKAA at JHUVMS
CSNET: ins_akaa@jhunix.CSNET              ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_akaa
      ...allegra!hopkins!jhunix!ins_akaa