[net.tv.drwho] Old Doctors in New Roles

cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) (12/04/85)

In article <1805@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-bmd.UUCP writes:
>Peter Davison was in the new-season-opener of Magnum, PI (set in
>England)... it seemed that he had a
>rather small part... One would think that the lead in such a
>big show wouldn't accept lesser roles thereafter.

It might be difficult for old Doctors to get lead roles because directors
might feel that the audience would recognize the actor as "The Doctor"
and have some expectations about the character he's playing.  That might
also be why they're frequently heavily made up (as I've seen a few of you
mention).

By the way, wasn't Tom Baker in the made-for-TV film "Robin and the
Seven Hoods" (I think it was)?  Did anyone else see this?  He had kind
of a minor role there, too...
--

 /''`\						Andre Guirard
([]-[])						De Tuss from de Tonn

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (12/09/85)

Here's what I know about Doctors in other roles:

   1) William Hartnell -- Nothing at all that I've seen.

   2) Patrick Troughton -- A hell of a lot to his name.
                           I remember him in "The Six Wives of Henry VII,"
                           "Little Women," and "Box of Delights," but
                           he's an excellent BBC actor from way back.

   3) Jon Pertwee -- Title role in "Worzel Gummidge," "Whodunnit," and
                     I saw him a few days ago in a cameo appearance
                     in the old movie of "A Funny Thing Happened on the
                     Way to the Forum," for which Michael Pertwee (his
                     brother) was a scriptwriter.

   4) Tom Baker -- "The Hound of the Baskervilles," and "The Zany Adventures
                   of Robin Hood."

   5) Peter Davison -- Like Pat Troughton, a lot.  Among them are
                       "All Creatures Great and Small," "Anna of the Five
                       Towns," "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and
                       "Magnum P.I."

   6) Colin Baker -- Another one who has been in many BBC productions.
                     Two I saw included "The Moonstone" and s small part
                     in "The Citadel"

So, as you see, not all the parts are small ones.

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus
        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
        |II II|
        -------

kbb@faron.UUCP (Kenneth B. Bass) (12/09/85)

I vaguely remember one low budget horror flick with Jon Pertwee in a major role.I believe the film was called "The House That Dripped Blood".

Any others?

			"It ain't necessarily so"
			ken bass
			linus!faron!kbb

paluzzi@oddjob.UUCP (Greg Hajek) (12/09/85)

In article <5020082@acf4.UUCP> percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) writes:

>   4) Tom Baker -- "The Hound of the Baskervilles," and "The Zany Adventures
>                   of Robin Hood."

Let's not forget T.B. as Rasputin in "Nicholas and Alexandra" and as an
Interpol double-agent in "Remington Steele."  My roommate says he remembers
Tom Baker in one of the Sinbad movies... can anyone else remember this?
--
-----
"Love may make the world go around, but money tells it which way to spin."

Greg Hajek
U. of Chicago          ....ihnp4!oddjob!paluzzi
Laboratory for Astrophysics
  and Space Research

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (12/10/85)

In article <5020082@acf4.UUCP> percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) writes:
>Here's what I know about Doctors in other roles:
>   3) Jon Pertwee -- Title role in "Worzel Gummidge," "Whodunnit," and
>                     I saw him a few days ago in a cameo appearance
>                     in the old movie of "A Funny Thing Happened on the
>                     Way to the Forum," for which Michael Pertwee (his
>                     brother) was a scriptwriter.

For those of you getting the Disney Channel on cable, he is also the
voice of Spottyman in the 'Superted' cartoon they air.

					Bob Halloran
					Sr MTS, CONCURRENT Computer Corp
					(a Perkin-Elmer company)
UUCP: {decvax, ucbvax, most Action Central}!vax135\
		       	 {pesnta, topaz, princeton}!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724	DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: I doubt that my employer wants anything to do with my opinions.
Quote: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro..." -- Hunter Thompson

cc-30@ucbcory.BERKELEY.EDU (Sean "Yoda" Rouse) (12/10/85)

>Greg Hajek
>
>Let's not forget T.B. as Rasputin in "Nicholas and Alexandra" and as an
>Interpol double-agent in "Remington Steele."  My roommate says he remembers
>Tom Baker in one of the Sinbad movies... can anyone else remember this?

Tom Baker was in "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad"

Has anyone else out there noticed that Sherlock Holmes in
"Young Sherlock Holmes" looks like a young Tom Baker.

				-Sean "Yoda" Rouse

giorgi@sjuvax.UUCP (John Giorgi) (12/10/85)

In article <5020082@acf4.UUCP> percus@acf4.UUCP writes:
>Here's what I know about Doctors in other roles:
>
>   1) William Hartnell -- Nothing at all that I've seen.

    Can be seen in a very funny movie, usually on independent stations
    late at night. The movie is called "Carry On Sergeant". Hartnell has
    the starring role.

>   2) Patrick Troughton -- A hell of a lot to his name.
>                           I remember him in "The Six Wives of Henry VII,"
>                           "Little Women," and "Box of Delights," but
>                           he's an excellent BBC actor from way back.

     Appeared in a episode of "All Creatures Great and Small" although
     he is very hard to recognize.

>   3) Jon Pertwee -- Title role in "Worzel Gummidge," "Whodunnit," and
>                     I saw him a few days ago in a cameo appearance
>                     in the old movie of "A Funny Thing Happened on the
>                     Way to the Forum," for which Michael Pertwee (his
>                     brother) was a scriptwriter.

       Also starred in a Christmas special with James Coco called
       "The Curious Case of Santa Claus". It has a funny reference
       to his role as the Doctor. Can be seen on ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
       cable network.
       And a terrible psuedo-documentary about desert life entitled
       "Four Against the Desert" (may have been 5, I'm not quite sure)

>   4) Tom Baker -- "The Hound of the Baskervilles," and "The Zany Adventures
>                   of Robin Hood."

        Also: Remington Steele- played a british detective gone bad.
        And a good role as the evil prince in "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad"
        though he is hard to recognize until he smiles.

>   5) Peter Davison -- Like Pat Troughton, a lot.  Among them are
>                       "All Creatures Great and Small," "Anna of the Five
>                       Towns," "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and
>                       "Magnum P.I."
>
>   6) Colin Baker -- Another one who has been in many BBC productions.
>                     Two I saw included "The Moonstone" and s small part
>                     in "The Citadel"
>
>So, as you see, not all the parts are small ones.
>
>           .
>        -------
>        |-----|             A. G. Percus
>        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
>        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
>        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
>        |II II|
>        -------

John Giorgi

Saint Joseph's University   Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

{allegra | astrovax | bpa | burdvax}!sjuvax!giorgi

johnf@apollo.uucp (John Francis) (12/11/85)

In article <1077@oddjob.UUCP>, Greg Hajek writes "My roommate says he remembers
Tom Baker in one of the Sinbad movies... can anyone else remember this?"

I do indeed remember this, although I have not got the faintest idea of the title
(I don't really watch this stuff, you know :-). TB played the evil wizard out to
get the whatever-it-was-they-were-looking-for before our hero. Apart from that I
don't remember too much, except that there was a truly abysmal centaur. This movie
is one of the few that I know of that makes the animation in "Clash of the Titans"
look good!
I'm sure somebody else will have pointed this out (our mailer missed a few messages),
but Colin Baker once appeared as a Presidential Guard on Gallifrey (In a Tom Baker
episode, I think).
And for an associated topic - how about "Old Companions in New Roles" ? ( Or even
"New Companions in Old Roles" - I remember Lalla Ward in "The Duchess of Duke Street).

And finally, not Dr. Who at all, but  -  How many others of you found it difficult to
take "Brideshead Revisited" seriously when you kept hearing the voice of Arthur Dent ?

ajb528@uiucuxa.CSO.UIUC.EDU (12/13/85)

   troughten also had a part in "The Omen".
       He played the priest that got shis-kebebed.