[net.tv.drwho] "The Five Doctors"

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (12/11/85)

I saw the first epiosde of the broken-up version of "The Five Doctors"
last night, and watched the beginning of a taped copy of the all-one-
episode version right afterwards.  Despite contrary informration from
a number of people, I noticed that there WAS a difference between the
two -- a number of scenes were cut in the all-one-episode version to
trim it down to 90 minutes when broadcast on BBC.

For example, in the broken-up version, after K-9 tries to warn Sarah
Jane Smith not to leave her house ("Danger, mistress"), the camera
pans to the right and a "Beware of the Dog" sign, written in the same
computer-style lettering as the symbols "K-9" on K-9's body, is noticed
on the gate.  I checked, and this was not in the all-one-episode form.

I'm sure, also that the "Come on, Doc" scene was NOT in the all-one-episode
form, whereas I know it was in both the broken-up form and the novelisation.
(There I go with my British spelling again -- "novelization" for purists...)

So, it seems that the BBC actually put back some of the cut scenes for
us U.S. viewers.

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus
        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
        |II II|
        -------

         [Name the LAST time to date that the quote
          "Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow"
          has been used.]

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (12/13/85)

>I saw the first epiosde of the broken-up version of "The Five Doctors"
>last night, and watched the beginning of a taped copy of the all-one-
>episode version right afterwards.  Despite contrary informration from
>a number of people, I noticed that there WAS a difference between the
>two -- a number of scenes were cut in the all-one-episode version to
>trim it down to 90 minutes when broadcast on BBC.

Is the "all-one-episode" version you saw an original off the BBC
broadcast?

>For example, in the broken-up version, after K-9 tries to warn Sarah
>Jane Smith not to leave her house ("Danger, mistress"), the camera
>pans to the right and a "Beware of the Dog" sign, written in the same
>computer-style lettering as the symbols "K-9" on K-9's body, is noticed
>on the gate.  I checked, and this was not in the all-one-episode form.

The version I have, taped in PAL off BBC-Scotland (transmitter near
Edinburgh), Friday night, 25 November, 1983, does indeed have that.

>I'm sure, also that the "Come on, Doc" scene was NOT in the all-one-episode
>form, whereas I know it was in both the broken-up form and the novelisation.
>(There I go with my British spelling again -- "novelization" for purists...)

The version I have, taped in PAL off BBC-Scotland (transmitter near
Edinburgh), Friday night, 25 November, 1983, does indeed have that.

>So, it seems that the BBC actually put back some of the cut scenes for
>us U.S. viewers.

Really?  Or perhaps they cut out some scenes in the movie version
distributed in the USA?

>         [Name the LAST time to date that the quote
>          "Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow"
>          has been used.]

"Timelash," if my memory serves me right, when he is working on the
contron crystals to set up the time delay.  Herbert is being a pest at
the time as well, but we expect that.
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"Getting a bit rough, is it?"
"Remain silent, or you will die"  Who said them, what story?

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (12/16/85)

> Is the "all-one-episode" version you saw an original off the BBC
> broadcast?

No, it wasn't -- it was the version transmitted on New Jersey Network
on November 23, 1983 at 8:00 P.M.

> > So, it seems that the BBC actually put back some of the cut scenes for
> > us U.S. viewers.
>
> Really?  Or perhaps they cut out some scenes in the movie version
> distributed in the USA?

Based on your case evidence, that seems to be the logical answer.
It's a shame, really.

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus
        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
        |II II|
        -------

andre@nrcvax.UUCP (Andre Hut) (12/17/85)

Speaking of the Five Doctors, there is a scene which does
not seem consistent with the series.  What I would like
to know is, how did Sarah end up with a K-9?  Sarah left
the fourth doctor long before he ever met one.  Of the
two known K-9's, the original was left with Leela, and
the Mark II version with Romana in E-space because it was
damaged by the winds of time and could not leave.  So
where did Sarah get one?

Andre' Hut                                      Network Research Corp.
ihnp4!nrcvax!nrcutah!andre                      923 Executive Park Drive Suite C
ucbvax!calma!nrcvax!nrcutah!andre               Salt Lake City, Utah 84121, U.S.A.
{sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!nrcutah!andre    (801) 266-9194

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (12/19/85)

>Speaking of the Five Doctors, there is a scene which does
>not seem consistent with the series.  What I would like
>to know is, how did Sarah end up with a K-9?  Sarah left
>the fourth doctor long before he ever met one.  Of the
>two known K-9's, the original was left with Leela, and
>the Mark II version with Romana in E-space because it was
>damaged by the winds of time and could not leave.  So
>where did Sarah get one?

K-9 received a gift of a K-9 from The Doctor for the special
K-9 & Company.  This was broadcast between "Logopolis" and
"Castrovalva" in Britain.

Pretty poor, really.
--

mom@sfmag.UUCP (M.Modig) (12/19/85)

> Speaking of the Five Doctors, there is a scene which does
> not seem consistent with the series.  What I would like
> to know is, how did Sarah end up with a K-9?  Sarah left
> the fourth doctor long before he ever met one.  Of the
> two known K-9's, the original was left with Leela, and
> the Mark II version with Romana in E-space because it was
> damaged by the winds of time and could not leave.  So
> where did Sarah get one?

If you've ever had the dubious pleasure of watching "K9 and Company",
Sarah's aunt reminds Sarah about a large box that arrived sometime
ago. After they get it out from the attic or whatever, they open it,
and it is of course K-9, who announces that he was sent by the
Doctor.

Mark Modig
ihnp4!sfmag!mom

ables@mcc-db2.UUCP (King Ables) (12/19/85)

> Speaking of the Five Doctors, there is a scene which does
> not seem consistent with the series.  What I would like
> to know is, how did Sarah end up with a K-9?  Sarah left
> the fourth doctor long before he ever met one.  Of the
> two known K-9's, the original was left with Leela, and
> the Mark II version with Romana in E-space because it was
> damaged by the winds of time and could not leave.  So
> where did Sarah get one?

She meets K-9 Mark III in the Christmas special the BBC made
called "K-9 and Company" (which was pretty bad).  Our local
PBS station (KLRU Ch. 18) just ran it last week.  They've gone
real deep into buying Dr. Who, we even get Hartnell starting
after Christmas,.. but I digress.

Sarah Jane is at her Aunt's house who isn't there, but leaves
a package for her that came from the attic.  She opens it and
doesn't know quite what it is.  K-9 III mentions the Doctor left
him for her, and she realizes that K-9 is something special if he
came from the Doctor.  From then on, it's real easy.  She isn't
surprised (much) by anything K-9 can do and soon they interact
as if they'd known each other for years.

The first time I saw "The Five Doctors" I was confused, too, I
guess "K-9 and Company" was made just a bit before that.  I should
Doctors," they just showed that here a couple of weeks ago and I
still have it hanging around on a tape somewhere.

-King
ARPA: ables@mcc
UUCP: {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!mcc-db2!ables

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (12/19/85)

> Speaking of the Five Doctors, there is a scene which does
> not seem consistent with the series.  What I would like
> to know is, how did Sarah end up with a K-9?  Sarah left
> the fourth doctor long before he ever met one.  Of the
> two known K-9's, the original was left with Leela, and
> the Mark II version with Romana in E-space because it was
> damaged by the winds of time and could not leave.  So
> where did Sarah get one?

Obviously, you have not seen K-9 and Company.  In this Doctor Who
spinoff, produced in 1980 or 1981, Sarah Jane Smith finds a present
sent by the Doctor -- it turns out to be K-9 Mark III!

"The Five Doctors" takes place after this, and so Sarah is now in
possesion of a K-9 herself.

           "Unaccustomed as I am to public speking, I would like
            to say one thing, and let me make it clear that I
            stand before you desperate to find the exit"

                                             Which episode?

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (12/20/85)

In article <438@nrcvax.UUCP> andre@nrcvax.UUCP (Andre Hut) writes:

>Speaking of the Five Doctors, there is a scene which does
>not seem consistent with the series.  What I would like
>to know is, how did Sarah end up with a K-9?  Sarah left
>the fourth doctor long before he ever met one.  Of the
>two known K-9's, the original was left with Leela, and
>the Mark II version with Romana in E-space because it was
>damaged by the winds of time and could not leave.  So
>where did Sarah get one?

There was a spinoff series, "K-9 and Company", featuring Liz Sladen
and K-9.  The opening episode has been shown here (NJ) a few times.
The premise is Sarah Jane is back to being a reporter, comes to
visit her aunt, finds a large crate has been left for her, opens it
and finds a K-9, 'a gift from the Doctor'.  The series was done by
JN-T.  I gather it was short-lived.

						Robert Halloran
UUCP: ..topaz!caip!unirot!halloran
USPS: 19 Culver Ct, Old Bridge NJ 08857		Ph: (201) 251-7514
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro..." -- Hunter Thompson