[net.tv.drwho] Movement

toma@tekchips.UUCP (Tom Almy) (12/12/85)

With all this discussion about how K9 gets around, a more pressing question
in my mind is how do the Daleks climb stairs?  The Cybermen scare me, but
I just laugh at the Daleks.  I can sleep easy at night knowing that they
can't navigate my door step!

Tom Almy

"Sticks and Stones can break my bones but Daleks can never hurt me!"

5143ama@hound.UUCP (A.ALGAVA) (12/13/85)

>With all this discussion about how K9 gets around, a more pressing question
>in my mind is how do the Daleks climb stairs?  The Cybermen scare me, but
>I just laugh at the Daleks.  I can sleep easy at night knowing that they
>can't navigate my door step!
>
>Tom Almy

I believe in Destiny of the Daleks, Tom Baker's Doctor said to the Daleks
(and this is not an exact quote) "How can you call yourselves the supreme
creatures of the universe if you can't climb steps?"

Albert Algava
hound!5143ama

mom@sfmag.UUCP (M.Modig) (12/13/85)

> With all this discussion about how K9 gets around, a more pressing question
> in my mind is how do the Daleks climb stairs?  The Cybermen scare me, but
> I just laugh at the Daleks.  I can sleep easy at night knowing that they
> can't navigate my door step!

"Daleks don't climb stairs-- they level the building" :-) [Sorry, Tom]

Actually the only mention I recall of this is in the novelisation for
"Destiny of the Daleks".  The Daleks apparently use some sort of
anti-gravity disk.  This seems logical, but I guess it's just a bit much
for BBC special effects to do on the budget they have to work with.

Mark Modig
ihnp4!sfmag!mom

samson@h-sc1.UUCP (gregory samson) (12/14/85)

In article <424@tekchips.UUCP> toma@tekchips.UUCP (Tom Almy) writes:
>With all this discussion about how K9 gets around, a more pressing question
>in my mind is how do the Daleks climb stairs?  The Cybermen scare me, but
>I just laugh at the Daleks.  I can sleep easy at night knowing that they
>can't navigate my door step!

Actually, Tom Baker once mentioned this at a Creation con.  He said that he'd
love to do a Dalek episode, and when his companion(s) screamed "Doctor, the
Daleks!", he'd say "Shh... I'm having a deep think... (a minute later)
...I have it!  We'll go upstairs!"

-G. T. Samson
 The Evil MicroWizard
 gts@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (12/14/85)

You see the Daleks floating in "Revelation".  Also note that
Terry Nation has said that the Dalek, including casing, weighs
about three pounds!
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"Getting a bit rough, is it?"
"Remain silent, or you will die"  Who said them, what story?

daver@sci.UUCP (Dave Rickel) (12/15/85)

re:  Daleks and stairs--weren't there some versions of daleks equipped for
interstellar travel?  So, simple.  They just use their handy rocket packs
and blast up them.  Of course, they only do this when no one is looking.

One of the Dr Who Movies (i think it had Christopher Lee playing the Dr)
had some daleks in it.  These daleks could only move on a special floor--
even more limited than your average run of the mill daleks.

david rickel

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (12/16/85)

> I believe in Destiny of the Daleks, Tom Baker's Doctor said to the Daleks
> (and this is not an exact quote) "How can you call yourselves the supreme
> creatures of the universe if you can't climb steps?"

Yes.  The quote was (I think):

          "If you're supposed to be the superior life form in
           the universe, why don't you try climbing after me?
           Bye, bye!"

> Actually the only mention I recall of this is in the novelisation for
> "Destiny of the Daleks".  The Daleks apparently use some sort of
> anti-gravity disk.  This seems logical, but I guess it's just a bit much
> for BBC special effects to do on the budget they have to work with.

There's something about this in "Planet of the Daleks": unfortunately,
it's in the episode which was lost.  Between the part where the Doctor +
Accompanying Thal are planning how to get out of the Dalek city, and
the part where they meet up with Jo again, they escape using a rather
clever technique.  What happens is as follows: there is a refrigeration
chamber, with a vent pointing UPWARDS to the ground (remember, the heart
of the city is BENEATH the ground).  So, the Doctor arranges sort of a
parachute, they hold on to the string at the bottom, and are effectively
"blown" up to the surface.  Then, the Daleks realize and follow them up
the vent by the same method -- so, in essence, the Daleks are using an
"anti-gravity" device to come up to the surface.

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus
        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
        |II II|
        -------

andrew@cadomin.UUCP (Andrew Folkins) (12/16/85)

In article <1003@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
>You see the Daleks floating in "Revelation".  Also note that
>Terry Nation has said that the Dalek, including casing, weighs
>about three pounds!
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^ ????
>--
>James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

Hmm. I just saw "Ressurection of the Daleks" a couple of days ago, and
it took the Doctor and two soldiers to push a Dalek out the the second
story of a warehouse.  Three pounds? (Yes, it seems we have a definite
consistancy problem.)
--
Andrew Folkins        ...ihnp4!alberta!andrew

All ideas in this message are fictional.  Any resemblance, to any idea,
living or dead, is purely coincidental.

ronc@fai.UUCP (ronc) (12/17/85)

>I believe in Destiny of the Daleks, Tom Baker's Doctor said to the Daleks
>(and this is not an exact quote) "How can you call yourselves the supreme
>creatures of the universe if you can't climb steps?"
***

Interesting.  I don't remember that line in the show, but Colan Baker used
it during his interview at last TIMECON in San Jose.  Perhaps it's become
an inside joke.
		Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calf.)
		ihnp4!{pesnta,qubix}!wjvax!fai!ronc

Oliver's law of assumed responsibility:
	"If you are seen fixing it, you will be blamed for breaking it."

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (12/17/85)

>One of the Dr Who Movies (i think it had Christopher Lee playing the Dr)
>had some daleks in it.  These daleks could only move on a special floor--
>even more limited than your average run of the mill daleks.

The only two Doctor Who movies both featured Daleks, and both starred
Peter Cushing:

"Doctor Who and the Daleks" -1964
"Dalek Invasion 2150 AD" - 1965

In the first movie, as well as in the first Dalek serial on TV, the
Daleks were powered by static electricity conducted through a metal
floor.  They were defeated when Ian lead a group of natives (Thals)
who destroyed the generators.
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"Getting a bit rough, is it?"
"Remain silent, or you will die"  Who said them, what story?

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (12/17/85)

>In article <1003@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
>>You see the Daleks floating in "Revelation".  Also note that
>>Terry Nation has said that the Dalek, including casing, weighs
>>about three pounds!
>       ^^^^^^^^^^^^ ????
>
>Hmm. I just saw "Ressurection of the Daleks" a couple of days ago, and
>it took the Doctor and two soldiers to push a Dalek out the the second
>story of a warehouse.  Three pounds? (Yes, it seems we have a definite
>consistancy problem.)

Strength and weight have little to do with each other.  You can lift
a ten pound weight, can't you?

Suppose that I put ten pounds of iron into a rather strong magnetic
field?

(Actually, I should have said "mass," and that in earth's gravitational
field they would weigh three pounds, or some such rubbish.)
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"Getting a bit rough, is it?"
"Remain silent, or you will die"  Who said them, what story?

davidl@teklds.UUCP (David Levine) (12/20/85)

In article <5020092@acf4.UUCP> percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) writes:
[Concerning the fact the Daleks can't climb steps]
>          "If you're supposed to be the superior life form in
>           the universe, why don't you try climbing after me?
>           Bye, bye!"

This was in "Destiny of the Daleks", as I recall, except that it wasn't just a
flight of steps, but a small hole leading through a rough tunnel (about 3'
wide) to the surface.  I doubt a Dalek could even have been dragged through.

>There's something about this in "Planet of the Daleks": unfortunately,
>it's in the episode which was lost.  ...they escape using a rather
>clever technique.  What happens is as follows: there is a refrigeration
>chamber, with a vent pointing UPWARDS to the ground (remember, the heart
>of the city is BENEATH the ground).  So, the Doctor arranges sort of a
>parachute, they hold on to the string at the bottom, and are effectively
>"blown" up to the surface.  Then, the Daleks realize and follow them up
>the vent by the same method -- so, in essence, the Daleks are using an
>"anti-gravity" device to come up to the surface.

Actually, they really did use an "anti-gravity disk".  It was about 15' in
diameter, large enough to hold four Daleks.  (The local PBS station showed this
episode in B&W, but had transmitter troubles during another episode, so I still
haven't seen the complete "Planet of the Daleks"...)

David D. Levine (...{decvax,ihnp4,hplabs}!tektronix!teklds!davidl) [UUCP]
                (davidl%teklds%tektronix@csnet-relay.arpa)         [ARPA]
		"The town's full of killer cockroaches!"

davidl@teklds.UUCP (David Levine) (12/20/85)

In article <1003@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
>Terry Nation has said that the Dalek, including casing, weighs
>about three pounds!

That should probably have been "COSTS about three pounds"!  (Dr. Who has always
been a low-budget production...)

David D. Levine (...{decvax,ihnp4,hplabs}!tektronix!teklds!davidl) [UUCP]
                (davidl%teklds%tektronix@csnet-relay.arpa)         [ARPA]
		"Being disintegrated makes me very angry!  Very angry indeed!"