[net.tv.drwho] West Coast Lives

majka@ubc-vision.UUCP (Marc Majka) (12/05/85)

[ Where did you get those jelly-babies?                ]
[ Same place you get them, Doctor, from your pocket.   ]

We certainly are getting net.tv.drwho on the West Coast in Canada.  I just
read about all those shows in Chicago and cry:  our supplier in Vancouver is
KVOS (across the border in those southern lands), who appear only to have
the Tom Baker and Peter Davison episodes.

Just for discussion, does anyone else out there have as much trouble as I do
concerning K9's locomotive powers?  He ought to get stuck on every rock,
rut, pothole, and doorjamb in existance, to say nothing of traversing
stairways.  Has he got some secret I don't know about?

---
Marc Majka

daver@sci.UUCP (Dave Rickel) (12/07/85)

As to K-9's ability to maneuver:
1.  he uses some quantum mechanical wave spreading to move when nobody is
	watching.
2.  he blasts ramps with his nose laser.
3.  he is very nearly indestructable, and just dives off.  this only works
	to get him down off of things, not onto them in the first place.
4.  he has powerful compressed gas jets to allow him brief (c. 5 seconds)
	flights.
5.  he has a trained people who is camera shy pick him up and carry him.

other suggestions?

david rickel

coatta@utcsri.UUCP (Terry Coatta) (12/07/85)

In article <19@ubc-vision.UUCP> majka@ubc-vision.UUCP (Marc Majka) writes:

>Just for discussion, does anyone else out there have as much trouble as I do
>concerning K9's locomotive powers?  He ought to get stuck on every rock,
>rut, pothole, and doorjamb in existance, to say nothing of traversing
>stairways.  Has he got some secret I don't know about?
>
>---
>Marc Majka

I have wondered the same thing myself.  In one episode (part of Full Circle)
we actually see K-9 stopped by an obstacle such as you suggest.  He is
following the marsh creatures when he comes to a very narrow shallow ditch,
and cannot go on because he cannot get over it.  This is th only show in
which it is even suggested that K-9 might have trouble moving about.

daver@sci.UUCP (Dave Rickel) (12/09/85)

K-9 had problems moving about in a couple more episodes.  In one (The
Prisoner of Zenda, with androids (i think)) he is stuck in a rowboat under
the castle.  In another, he needs someone to help him get off of a table.

david rickel

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (12/11/85)

> K-9 had problems moving about in a couple more episodes.  In one (The
> Prisoner of Zenda, with androids (i think)) he is stuck in a rowboat under

The story you're looking for is called "The Androids of Tara."  It was
kind of a copy of the Prisoner of Zenda story (with the Doctor worked in).

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus
        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
        |II II|
        -------

crclarke@uok.UUCP (12/11/85)

     K-9 is not the only character with locomotive problems.  How
about Daleks?  Their conquest of the universe could be blocked by
a flight of stairs.

review@drutx.UUCP (MillhamBD) (12/16/85)

I remember reading somewhere that starting with "The Pleasure Dome"
(I think that's it. Start off with a beach scene. First episode with
Ramona II) that K9's locamotion system was redesigned to make him
easier to film. They did such a good job that K9 needed to be pulled
around with a string during the beach scene because the new tracks
couldn't handle the irregular surface.

Anyone else heard this story?

Brian Millham
AT & T Information Systems
Denver, Co.

...!ihnp4!drutx!review

doctor@ihuxb.UUCP (cjw) (12/17/85)

>      K-9 is not the only character with locomotive problems.  How
> about Daleks?  Their conquest of the universe could be blocked by
> a flight of stairs.

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR DIMENSIONAL STABILIZER OR
                                      REMAIN IN E-SPACE FOREVER ***

	At TARDIS22 Elizabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith) made a comment
about the Daleks being hard to work with because they were so easy to
get away from. It was a lot of work to make the Daleks look threatening.

					Clayton James Wootton
					AT&T
					Naperville, Illinois

Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hat's on fire!

dturner@imagen.UUCP (Alai) (12/21/85)

>      K-9 is not the only character with locomotive problems.  How
> about Daleks?  Their conquest of the universe could be blocked by
> a flight of stairs.

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR TARDIS ***

good point.

i rember in one of the dalek shows when the doctor says

" If you are the supere race why don't you climb up after me ? "

ttfn

The 12`th doctor
--
	If you push somthing hard enough it will fall over
	  -fud's first law .

Name:	David Turner
Mail:	6259 Rainbow dr. San Jose , Ca
        95129
AT&T:	(408) 725-1974
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!dturner

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (12/21/85)

Yes.  The story is true, but it was NOT Romana II's first episode.
(If you recall, Destiny of the Daleks was the first with Romana II.
The K-9 incident took place in The Leisure Hive.)

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus