[net.tv.drwho] How do you kill a Time Lord?

chai@utflis.UUCP (H. Chai) (12/09/85)

In _The_Five_Doctors_, one of the members of the high council on Gallifrey
was killed by one of the guards.  Why didn't he regenerate?  In
_Arc_of_Infinity_ another person on Gallifrey was killed and did not
regenerate; aren't all Gallifreians Time Lords?

I must confess I don't know much about the Doctor's race.  Would
someone enlighten me please ??
Thanks in advance.

--
Henry Chai, just a humble student at the
Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto

mom@sfmag.UUCP (M.Modig) (12/12/85)

> In _The_Five_Doctors_, one of the members of the high council on Gallifrey
> was killed by one of the guards.  Why didn't he regenerate?  In
> _Arc_of_Infinity_ another person on Gallifrey was killed and did not
> regenerate; aren't all Gallifreians Time Lords?

All Gallifreyans are NOT Time Lords.  The general consensus seems to
be that you have to at least graduate from the Academy to really be
considered one.

As far as regenerations go, it really depends on what you are
willing to go along with.  There are several cases where the Doctor
probably should have started regenerating-- "The Leisure Hive" comes
to mind-- the Doctor's body should have reacted to the enforced
aging of the recreation generator by trying to regenerate.

Regeneration appears to be at least somewhat a conscious process in
that a Gallifreyan with proper training can initiate and control the
process.  This means that if you drop a 16 ton weight on a
Gallifreyan they probably won't regenerate because there is no
consciousness left to initiate and control the regeneration.  When
you consider the Doctor's regenerations, it also comes to mind that
(excepting Troughton --> Pertwee) they were all due to some cause
which was serious, but was gradual in effect [I'm not going to argue
about Tom Baker's fall here; I think a fall from that height would
kill anyone, but he was conscious, though dying, after impact],
as opposed to a blast
of energy that damages the target all at once.  Thus there was time
to begin and control the process before death actually occurred.

The fact that regeneration is a conscious and controllable process,
more or less, also suggests that there is probably some portion of
the brain responsible for it.  Damage to this area would result in
regnerative failure.

> I must confess I don't know much about the Doctor's race.  Would
> someone enlighten me please ??
> Thanks in advance.

Not a great deal is known about Gallifrey, but what is known would
probably put this group back in the Top 25 Newsgroups list for a few
weeks, at least.  There are many shows involving Gallifrey and
Gallifreyans.  Several come to mind almost immediately:

The War Games
Brain of Morbius
Invasion of Time
Arc of Infinity
Three Doctors
Five Doctors
Terror of the Autons
Genesis of the Daleks
The Deadly Assassin
Colony in Space
The Armaggedon Factor
The Time Meddler
The Daleks' Master Plan

...plus, of course, episodes featuring The Master and Romana

I'll leave the summary to some one else, since I am usually terribly
long-winded, and just say that these episodes form the basis of what
we know about Gallifrey.  A fairly good summary of Gallifrey can be
found in the first Peter Haining book, "Doctor Who:  A Celebration".

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (12/12/85)

>In _The_Five_Doctors_, one of the members of the high council on Gallifrey
>was killed by one of the guards.  Why didn't he regenerate?  In
>_Arc_of_Infinity_ another person on Gallifrey was killed and did not
>regenerate; aren't all Gallifreians Time Lords?

Well, he could have been at the end of his regenerations, or the
death could have been too fast for his body to respond.

Apparently not all Gallifreyans are Time Lords, remember the
Shobogans?

>Henry Chai, just a humble student at the
>Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto
>{watmath,ihnp4,allegra}!utzoo!utflis!chai

Glad to see that utzoo still passes net.tv.drwho.
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"Getting a bit rough, is it?"
"Remain silent, or you will die"  Who said them, what story?

mil3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Phillip Millman) (12/12/85)

Hi There Folks.
This is my first message and won't be my last.
It is very easy to kill a time lord if you have
one of the Citadel Guard's Stazers.  A Stazer
is the only hand gun that can kill a time lord
and stop all regenitive powers.
  The Timelords (and all Gallifreyans) are able
to regenerate due to there unique nuerobiology
The stazer prevents the nuerons from reacting
and killing the body does the rest.  Very Nasty
weapon.

Phillip Millman mil3!sphinx!gargoyle!UUCP

PS The Good Tom Baker was  in a Love Boat episode.
   That's the rumor at least.

doctor@ihuxb.UUCP (cjw) (12/13/85)

> In _The_Five_Doctors_, one of the members of the high council on Gallifrey
> was killed by one of the guards.  Why didn't he regenerate?  In
> _Arc_of_Infinity_ another person on Gallifrey was killed and did not
> regenerate; aren't all Gallifreians Time Lords?
>
> I must confess I don't know much about the Doctor's race.  Would
> someone enlighten me please ??
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Henry Chai, just a humble student at the
> Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto
> {watmath,ihnp4,allegra}!utzoo!utflis!chai

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR TOWEL ***

	I don't have my sources with me, but I seem to remember
something about if the time lord's body becomes seriously damaged
or if certain parts become damaged then he can't regenerate. This
would seem to go along with what Davison's <sp> doctor said
when he regenerated, "I might regenerate, I don't know. This time it's
different." He didn't seem sure that he would regenerate. If any
of this is wrong, sorry. I'm going totally by memory. Any extra
information would be helpful, but no flames please

			Clayton James Wootton
			AT&T
			Naperville Illinois

Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hat's on fire

If you don't stop burning my scarf, you'll have to kill me.

tra4@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Jonathan H. Traum) (12/13/85)

> The good Tom Baker was in a Love Boat episode. That's the rumor at least.

AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHHHH!!! Please say it isn't so! How could someone who was
involved in Dr. Who EVER stoop so low as to appear on such drivel!
(And considering Baker's hight, it should be very difficult for him to stoop
so low!)
						Jon Traum

"You're putting two and two together! I can tell by the expression on your
face!"

mil3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Phillip Millman) (12/13/85)

Well it is not thet easy to kill a Time Lord.
But not impossible.  You see if the nueral pathways
are in decent shape then the Time Lord will regenerate.
Also the cells of the body MUST be almost totally
destroyed.  If not one can't totally be sure what will happen.
That is why The 5th regeneration wasn't sure if he would
or not.

As for Tom Baker bieng on the Love Boat, I've strangled
the person who informed ne of this yet to be proved
rumor.

                       Sorry For the Scare
                          Phillip Millman mil3!uucp!

"Daleks are the worst threat the Time and space, they
 even hate jelly babies!"

ins_ajpo@jhunix.UUCP (Joseph Peter Ogulin) (12/15/85)

> In _The_Five_Doctors_, one of the members of the high council on Gallifrey
> was killed by one of the guards.  Why didn't he regenerate?  In
> _Arc_of_Infinity_ another person on Gallifrey was killed and did not
> regenerate; aren't all Gallifreians Time Lords?
>
> I must confess I don't know much about the Doctor's race.  Would
> someone enlighten me please ??
> Thanks in advance.

     As far as I know, it has to do with the type of weapons used.  The
STASERS used on Gallifrey affect the nervous system of the Time Lords which
prevents regeneration.  I don't know what else might cause the death of a Time
Lord besides such a weapon.  I don't happen to remember where I heard this.

"Remember, nothing in this world is real." -- James St.Clair
BITNET:    P99I1798 at JHUVM , INS_AJPO at JHUVMS
UUCP:      seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_ajpo
CSNET:     ins_ajpo@jhunix       ARPA:      ins_ajpo%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (12/17/85)

The first Time Lord killed was dematerialised in "The War Games".

I assume that if you have nothing left to regenerate from, you can't
regenerate!
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"Getting a bit rough, is it?"
"Remain silent, or you will die"  Who said them, what story?

daver@sci.UUCP (Dave Rickel) (12/17/85)

Well, first you cut off his head, and then you drive a stake (oops--two stakes)
through his hearts.

Actually, it would seem that any sufficiently quick death would do it--you
would need to halt the vitals before the regeneration sequence was begun.  I've
only seen a couple of regenerations, so i'm not all that clear on the point.
My impression of Tom Baker's regeneration into Peter Davison was that he had
broken his back during the fall--not fatal, but extremely inconvenient.  Peter
Davison triggered the reincarnation before he actually died of the xx (Spectrox
Toximeia?  whatever).  Anyway, this theory allows more melodrama--the doctor
can be killed (not just forced to regenerate) by a knife, bullet, poison gas,
etc.  Of course, even if the above is wrong, he can always be eaten, vaporised
by a plasma jet, disintegrated, or what have you.

david rickel

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (12/23/85)

How does one explain Pertwee's Doctor's very poor bodily condition
after "having been regenerated," as opposed to Romana II's flawless
physiological performance in "Destiny of the Daleks"?  In both cases,
there was no harm to the body before the regeneration, and I would
imagine that the Time Lords can perform a regeneration on someone
as skillfully as that person could do it himself.  So, if that's the
case, Pertwee's Doctor should be in as good, or better shape in
"Spearhead from Space" as Romana II in "Destiny of the Daleks."

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus
        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
        |II II|
        -------

  "The peasants are simple folk.  Rich affair would only distress them"

  "Quite right.  Probably give them indigestion -- there's nothing
   worse than a peasant with indigestion.  Makes them quite
   rebellious..."
                                           Which episode?

sma8465@ritcv.UUCP (12/31/85)

In article <5020107@acf4.UUCP> percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) writes:
>How does one explain Pertwee's Doctor's very poor bodily condition
>after "having been regenerated," as opposed to Romana II's flawless
>physiological performance in "Destiny of the Daleks"?  In both cases,
>there was no harm to the body before the regeneration, and I would
>imagine that the Time Lords can perform a regeneration on someone
>as skillfully as that person could do it himself.  So, if that's the
>case, Pertwee's Doctor should be in as good, or better shape in
>"Spearhead from Space" as Romana II in "Destiny of the Daleks."
>
>           .
>        -------
>        |-----|             A. G. Percus
>        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
>        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
>        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
>        |II II|
>        -------

   One small point....Pertwee's regeneration was forced, no his own
   choice, unlike Romana I to Romana II's was.  It's probable that his
   system was fighting the change and that he was in a state of shock.
   It happens to the best of us.:-)  Just wait until you see me after
   my next exam.  You'll think Pertwee was in great shape next to me.

   Stephen Abbott