[net.tv.drwho] How many regenerations?

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (12/27/85)

All this talk about regenerations has gotten me wondering...

When Romana regenerates into Romana II, she first comes out in her final
form. The Doctor poo-poo's this idea, so she goes back and comes out
several times, each in a different form. Finally, she comes out again in
the Princess Astra form which she keeps.

My question is this... how many regerations was that? Everyone seems to
treat it as one, but that means that a Time Lord has a lot of control
over a voluntary regeneration.

The only other time a Time Lord is seen to have some choice of his final
form is in "The War Games", but as I have heard, Troughton is shown images
of possible forms, not actually regenerated until the end.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

		"I hate this beer. It has no taste."
						   "And it's so filling."
					 "No taste."
						   "So filling."

guy@anasazi.UUCP (Guy Finney) (12/29/85)

>.....Finally, she comes out again in
>the Princess Astra form which she keeps.
>
>My question is this... how many regerations was that? Everyone seems to
>treat it as one, but that means that a Time Lord has a lot of control
>over a voluntary regeneration.

Perhaps this is something one learns at the Academy.  After all, Romana
did get a triple first while our good Doctor....well he never did
care much for book learnin'.
--
Guy Finney
{decvax|ihnp4}!terak!anasazi!guy

ross@ulowell.UUCP (Ross) (12/30/85)

     I don't have a way to check, but I seem to remember a high level
Tibetan monk of some kind in "Planet of Spiders".  This monk had a
servant Cho Chi (?).  In the end, the monk turned out to be an old Professor
of the Doctors and regenerated into this Cho Chi character much like
Baker into Davidson.

						Ross

mathnews@watdcsu.UUCP (mathNEWS) (01/01/86)

<>

In article <589@moncol.UUCP> john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) writes:
>When Romana regenerates into Romana II, she first comes out in her final
>form. The Doctor poo-poo's this idea, so she goes back and comes out
>several times, each in a different form. Finally, she comes out again in
>the Princess Astra form which she keeps.
>
>My question is this... how many regerations was that? Everyone seems to
>treat it as one, but that means that a Time Lord has a lot of control
>over a voluntary regeneration.

I think it was actually just a number of wardrobe changes.
Romana was a strong enough character to know what she wanted and
so she ignored the Doctor's remarks about physical appearance
and changed clothes just to humour him. (I liked the one when she came
out dressed identically to the Doctor--right down to the scarf.)

She is also intelligent enough to know that regenerations are not to
be wasted and so would not regenerate again to please the Doctor.
(I've always wondered why she regenerated in the first place.  I chalk
it up to female vanity :-))

These are the reasons I consider it to be one regeneration.

Wild and far-fetched possibility:  Would Romana rather use all of her
regenerations than go back to Gallifrey?

Best wishes for 1986.

                                           dwarf

--
"Degeneracy is not necessarily a bad thing."

mathNEWS--the math student newspaper at the University of Waterloo
{allegra|clyde|linus|ihnp4|decvax}!watmath!watdcsu!mathnews          UUCP
mathnews%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet                                      CSNET
mathnews@watdcsu                                                     NETNORTH