[net.tv.drwho] Dalek mobility

erik@ssc-vax.UUCP (Erik Strom) (01/09/86)

   A few weeks ago a discussion came up about Daleks and their mobility. I
 finally found a copy of the movie 'Dr. Who and The Daleks' starring Peter
 Cushing at my video store and checked it out. During the story, the following
 facts were deduced:

    1) The Daleks were unable to leave their complex and travel across land
       to investigate the Tardis, apparrently because of the uneven terrain;

    2) This was further confirmed when Ian Chesterton was trapped inside a
       Dalek machine and the Doctor was unable to move the machine over
       a doorway which appeared to be no more than 1 or 2 inches high;

    3) It was further deduced that the Daleks' energy source was the complex
       itself, and that they needed to stay in contact with the floor. This
       fact was used to overpower a Dalek at one point of the story.

   Of course, these were some of the early model Daleks since the Doctor's
 included Ian and a couple of companions (Susan, his grandaughter?! and
 Barbara.). Even more interesting, was the fact that the Doctor was portrayed
 as rather typical scientist with no mention of the Time Lords.

 He's cute, he's cuddly, he's loyal, he's brave, but he's not home, so leave
 your posting at the sound of the tone......

                                          Erik
					  ssc-vax!erik

pdg@ihdev.UUCP (P. D. Guthrie) (01/13/86)

In article <442@ssc-vax.UUCP> erik@ssc-vax.UUCP (Erik Strom) writes:

>   A few weeks ago a discussion came up about Daleks and their mobility. I
> finally found a copy of the movie 'Dr. Who and The Daleks' starring Peter
> Cushing at my video store and checked it out. During the story, the following
> facts were deduced:

Was this the movie where at one point, when a Dalek was overpowered, and
covered with a cloak, you get a glimpse of a hand (shiny green) from
under it.  Does anyone remember this scene?  I probably saw it ten or
twelve years ago..... kind of incompatable with the slimy mold
experiments in `Genesis'?   But anyway, the Daleks have come a long way
since then - they're not using steam guns either.

--

Paul Guthrie				`When the going gets weird,
ihnp4!ihdev!pdg				 The weird turn pro'

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (01/13/86)

When discussing Doctor Who, one must remember that the movies
were based on episodes broadcast in Britain and are not considered
to be part of the Whoniverse.
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"It's a sort of mini-clone!"  Who said them, what story?

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (01/14/86)

>Was this the movie where at one point, when a Dalek was overpowered, and
>covered with a cloak, you get a glimpse of a hand (shiny green) from
>under it.  Does anyone remember this scene?  I probably saw it ten or
>twelve years ago..... kind of incompatable with the slimy mold
>experiments in `Genesis'?   But anyway, the Daleks have come a long way
>since then - they're not using steam guns either.

I remember the scene from the actual TV episode!  Having not seen (nor
having wanted to see) the movies in a long time, I can't vouch for
whether or not it made it into the movies.

Besides, you said it for Genesis: "experiments".