[net.tv.drwho] Dr. Who on shortwave radio

hpk@vax135.UUCP (Howard Katseff) (01/10/86)

Starting next Monday (January 13) the BBC World Service will be
broadcasting a multiweek serial of Dr. Who "adapted for radio from the
popular television series."  Each week will have a new 15 minute
segment and the show is broadcast 3 times a week.  Here is the
schedule, and frequencies on which the BBC should be audible in North
America...

DAY	TIME	FREQUENCIES

Mon	0445	6120, 6175
Tue	2100	6175, 15260
Wed	1115	5965, 6195, 11775

Times are in UTC, or what the BBC fondly calls "Greenwich Mean Time."
UTC is 5 hours ahead of EST, 8 hours ahead of PST.  Note that the first
showing is either late Sunday night or the wee hours of Monday morning
depending on where you are in North America.

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (01/11/86)

> Starting next Monday (January 13) the BBC World Service will be
> broadcasting a multiweek serial of Dr. Who "adapted for radio from the
> popular television series."

Will anyone be taping this?  While I'm at it, does anyone happen
to have any of the ancient Dr. Who radio shows, such as the ones
which Tom Baker and Lis Sladen did in the mid-70's (well, that's
not really so ancient...).

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus
        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
        |II II|
        -------

acsgjjp@sunybcs.UUCP (Jim Poltrone) (01/14/86)

In article <1257@vax135.UUCP> hpk@vax135.UUCP (Howard Katseff) writes:
>....  Here is the
>schedule, and frequencies on which the BBC should be audible in North
>America...
>
>DAY	TIME	FREQUENCIES
>
>Mon	0445	6120, 6175
>Tue	2100	6175, 15260
>Wed	1115	5965, 6195, 11775

I assume that these frequencies are in kilohertz; i.e. 6120 translates
into 6.120 MHz, which is very much within the shortwave range.
Now if I can only pick it up on my little-used shortwave radio....

>Times are in UTC, or what the BBC fondly calls "Greenwich Mean Time."

UTC = Universal time coordinate.  This is the time the atomic clocks keep --
the signals are broadcast constantly at 5 MHz, 10 MHz, 15MHz, and 25 MHz.
Great for synchronizing your watch.  (On a sidenote, CBS is the only
American network that broadcasts tones for the hour and half-hour:  one tone
(A=440?) at 00:00 and tones at 30:00 and 30:02).  If only the Doctor's TARDIS
could be so accurate... :-)
--
  ____  ^  ____
 |_  _|/ \|_  _|              Jim Poltrone (a/k/a Poltr1,

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (01/15/86)

> > Starting next Monday (January 13) the BBC World Service will be
> > broadcasting a multiweek serial of Dr. Who "adapted for radio from the
> > popular television series."
>
> Will anyone be taping this?

Sorry -- false alarm -- I didn't realize it was "Slipback" they
were broadcasting.  In that case, I'm in no trouble...

> ...While I'm at it, does anyone happen
> to have any of the ancient Dr. Who radio shows, such as the ones
> which Tom Baker and Lis Sladen did in the mid-70's (well, that's
> not really so ancient...).

This request still stands.

           .
        -------