[net.tv.drwho] Dr Who and "Saved by Zero" by Fixx - related?

jk@utastro.UUCP (John Krist) (01/02/86)

      I have heard a rumor that the song by Fixx from a couple of years
   ago called "Saved by Zero" was inspired by the regeneration into
   Davison's Doctor and his need for the Zero Room.  Certainly the lyrics
   seem to fit ( space and time are mentioned somewhere in them ). I cannot
   find any printed evidence of this, though. Can someone confirm this
   for me?

   Thanks,
    John Krist
    U. Texas Astronomy Dept.
    jk@utastro.UUCP

ewan@uw-june (Ewan Tempero) (01/11/86)

This reminds me that I've seen comments in some other TV shows/songs
that seem to be related to the Doctor. Unfortunately I can't think
of the specific instances at the moment but I remember being somewhat
amazed at the time. Has anyone else noticed this?
--
            Ewan

------------
Ewan Tempero  UUCP: ...!uw-beaver!uw-june!ewan    ARPA: ewan@washington.ARPA
I have found a most wonderful proof for P <> NP but net etiquette on the
size of .signature files doesn't allow me to give it here.....

paluzzi@oddjob.UUCP (Greg Hajek) (01/11/86)

In article <224@utastro.UUCP> jk@utastro.UUCP (John Krist) writes:

>      I have heard a rumor that the song by Fixx from a couple of years
>   ago called "Saved by Zero" was inspired by the regeneration into
>   Davison's Doctor and his need for the Zero Room.  Certainly the lyrics
>   seem to fit ( space and time are mentioned somewhere in them ).

Then how about "Me and Sarah Jane" by Genesis? :-)

--
"God lives in Eternity...He doesn't have to listen to Two-for-Tuesdays."

Greg Hajek
U. of Chicago           ...ihnp4!gargoyle!oddjob!paluzzi
Laboratory for Astrophysics and Space Research

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (01/13/86)

In article <1109@oddjob.UUCP> paluzzi@oddjob.UUCP (Greg Hajek) writes:
>In article <224@utastro.UUCP> jk@utastro.UUCP (John Krist) writes:
>>
>>      I have heard a rumor that the song by Fixx from a couple of years
>>   ago called "Saved by Zero" was inspired by the regeneration into
>>   Davison's Doctor and his need for the Zero Room.  Certainly the lyrics
>>   seem to fit ( space and time are mentioned somewhere in them ).
>
>Then how about "Me and Sarah Jane" by Genesis? :-)

When I first heard it, I actually thought that that might be possible, but
the Genesis song is entiled "Me And Sarah Jayne" (I think that's the
spelling). Anyway, the spelling was different than the Doctor's companion.

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (01/14/86)

In article <256@uw-june> ewan@uw-june (Ewan Tempero) writes:

>This reminds me that I've seen comments in some other TV shows/songs
>that seem to be related to the Doctor. Unfortunately I can't think
>of the specific instances at the moment but I remember being somewhat
>amazed at the time. Has anyone else noticed this?

One specific example I can think of is a skit I saw on the show Dave Allen
At Large. (For those unfamiliar with Dave Allen, he had a show on the BBC
in the mid and late '70s featuring himself sitting on stage smoking, drinking,
and telling tall tales, interspersed with filmed skits.

One of these skits opened with a priest walking up the aisle of an empty
church, towards the altar. About half way up the aisle, he passes a marble
pedestal, about three feet high, vaguely conical, with a flat top, which
looks like the sort of thing a baptisimal font might be set on. After he
passes it, it begins to move, following him.

The priest stops. The pedestal stops. The priest pauses a moment and then
continues up the aisle. The pedestal follows. Again the priest stops.
The pedestal stops. This time the priest looks behind him, shruggs, and
continues walking. The pedestal follows. The priest pauses yet again and
looks behind him, but this time the pedestal continues moving towards him.

As the priest continues up the aisle with rapidly increasing speed, he
keeps looking back over his shoulder at the steadily advancing pedestal
from which a metalic voice is now eminating, saying "EXTERMINATE!!
EXTERMINATE!!"

The priest finally reaches the front of the church and dives behind the
pulpit, whereupon a familiar whooshing-grinding noise is heard and the
pulpit dematerializes.

				Barth Richards
				Tellabs, Inc.
				Lisle, IL

scs@wucs.UUCP (Steve Swope) (01/15/86)

In article <256@uw-june> ewan@uw-june (Ewan Tempero) writes:
>This reminds me that I've seen comments in some other TV shows/songs
>that seem to be related to the Doctor. Unfortunately I can't think
>of the specific instances at the moment but I remember being somewhat
>amazed at the time. Has anyone else noticed this?

I recall a couple of episodes of Danger Mouse involving a time-traveling
grandfather clock. One snatch of dialogue is along these lines:

Penfold:	...it's just like that "Doctor" chap!
Danger Mouse:	Who?
Penfold:	Can't remember...

				Steve Swope (aka scs@wucs.UUCP)

"Brigadier, A straight line may be the shortest path between
 two points, but it is by no means the most interesting!"