[net.tv.drwho] Pre Jon Pertwee Episodes

bob@anasazi.UUCP (Bob Carroll) (01/18/86)

[]

	Nyssa thank you for posting the NJN schedule.

	William Hartnell (Third Season)

		The Ark                4
		The Gunfighters        4
		The War Machines       4
				    -----
				      12 Episodes

	Patrick Troughton (Sixth Season [all but 2 stories])

		The Dominators         5
		The Mind Robber        5
		The Krotons            4
		The Seeds of Death     6
		The War Games         10
				    -----
				      30 Episodes

	My information ( Lack of ) indicates there are 17 complete
	William Hartnell 'stories' and 5 complete Patrick Troughton
	'stories' available.

	Only 3 William Hartnell 'stories' are listed in the NJN
	schedule. The 5 Patrick Troughton 'stories' are listed (?).

	Does anyone have a list of which pre-Jon Pertwee episodes are
	( or are not ) available ???

	Do complete color prints of 'Doctor Who and the Silurians' and
	'The Ambassadors of Death' exist ??? The PBS station in Phoenix
	(KAET) broadcast was in Black & White. This may be a result of
	some episode(s) being available only in Black & White. If this
	is the case it could be possible to reconstruct color prints
	using techniques similar to the process which produced color
	versions of several vintage (Black & White) Twilight Zone stories.

Robert Carroll   	...!noao!{terak|mot}!anasazi!bob
International Anasazi
7500 N. Dreamy Draw Drive
Suite 120
Phoenix, AZ  USA 85020
(602)870-3330

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (01/21/86)

[...]

The NJN schedule (obviously) did not include the stories already seen.
They were:

Season	Story

1	An Unearthly Child
	The Daleks
	Edge of Destruction
	Keys of Marinus
	Aztecs
	Sensorites

2	Planet of Giants
	Dalek Invasion of Earth
	Rescue
	Romans
	Web Planet
	Space Museum
	Chase
	Time Meddler

The only stories missing were "Marco Polo", "The Reign of Terror",
and "The Crusades".

	Do complete color prints of 'Doctor Who and the Silurians' and
	'The Ambassadors of Death' exist ??? The PBS station in Phoenix
	(KAET) broadcast was in Black & White. This may be a result of
	some episode(s) being available only in Black & White. If this
	is the case it could be possible to reconstruct color prints
	using techniques similar to the process which produced color
	versions of several vintage (Black & White) Twilight Zone stories.

Rumour has it that they exist.  There may be a colour copy of Silurians
floating around on the black market, as well as Terror of the Autons
and The Daemons.

Reconstructed colour is very expensive to do.  The BBC certainly won't
do it.  Does anybody care to try to raise the money to do it?  (Partic-
ularly for the William Hartnell & Patrick Troughton stories!)
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"It's a sort of mini-clone!"  Who said them, what story?

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (01/21/86)

> 	My information ( Lack of ) indicates there are 17 complete
> 	William Hartnell 'stories' and 5 complete Patrick Troughton
> 	'stories' available.

That's absolutely right.  They are:

               First season   (Hartnell)

               An Unearthly Child           4
               The Daleks                   7
               The Edge of Destruction      2
               The Keys of Marinus          6
               The Aztecs                   4
               The Sensorites               6
                                           --
                                           29

               Second Season  (Hartnell)

               Planet of Giants             3
               The Dalek Invasion of Earth  6
               The Rescue                   2
               The Romans                   4
               The Web Planet               6
               The Space Museum             4
               The Chase                    6
               The Time Meddler             4
                                           --
                                           35

               Third Season   (Hartnell)

               The Ark                      4
               The Gunfighters              4
               The War Machines             4
                                           --
                                           12

               Sixth Season   (Troughton)

               The Dominators               5
               The Mind Robber              5
               The Krotons                  4
               The Seeds of Death           6
               The War Games               10
                                           --
                                           30

> 	Do complete color prints of 'Doctor Who and the Silurians' and
> 	'The Ambassadors of Death' exist ??? The PBS station in Phoenix
> 	(KAET) broadcast was in Black & White. This may be a result of
>	some episode(s) being available only in Black & White.

As of my latest official information, the situaion is as follows for
the first two Pertwee seasons:

          Story Name                    Existing Color Episodes

          Spearhead from Space          All
          Doctor Who and the Silurians  None
          The Ambassadors of Death      Only Episode 1
          Inferno                       All
          Terror of the Autons          None
          The Mind of Evil              None
          The Claws of Axos             All
          Colony in Space               All
          The Daemons                   Only Episode 4

and then, with two later stories:

          Planet of the Daleks          All EXCEPT Episode 3
          Invasion of the Dinosaurs     All EXCEPT Episode 1

All Pertwee episodes not existing in color exist in black and white.

>	...If this
> 	is the case it could be possible to reconstruct color prints
> 	using techniques similar to the process which produced color
> 	versions of several vintage (Black & White) Twilight Zone stories.

This was done with the existing part of "The Tenth Planet" (episodes
1, 2, 3, and the regeneration sequence at the end of episode 4),
by (I believe) the Australians.  I do not know how it turned out.

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus
        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
        |II II|
        -------

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) (01/22/86)

In article <5020129@acf4.UUCP> percus@acf4.UUCP writes:
>>	...If this
>> 	is the case it could be possible to reconstruct color prints
>> 	using techniques similar to the process which produced color
>> 	versions of several vintage (Black & White) Twilight Zone stories.
>This was done with the existing part of "The Tenth Planet" (episodes
>1, 2, 3, and the regeneration sequence at the end of episode 4),
>by (I believe) the Australians.  I do not know how it turned out.

This was an April Fools joke published in the British Doctor Who Monthly,
which seems to have taken on a life of its own. The last line contains the
British date for April 1,1984 and the article contains many other ridiculous
claims.  For instance, supposedly B&W programs cannot be shown in Canada.
Also, the title is "Who'd have believed it".

The joke was similar to the earlier "The Phoenix Rises" which purported to
be about a show featuring Peter Davison and William Hartnell, using footage
from alleged early episodes of "Beyond the Sun" (or something like that; I'm
writing this from memory).
--
If you know the alphabet up to 'k', you can teach it up to 'k'.

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM and INS_AKAA at JHUVMS
CSNET: ins_akaa@jhunix.CSNET              ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_akaa
      ...allegra!hopkins!jhunix!ins_akaa

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (01/23/86)

> > 	Do complete color prints of 'Doctor Who and the Silurians' and
> > 	'The Ambassadors of Death' exist ??? The PBS station in Phoenix
> > 	(KAET) broadcast was in Black & White. This may be a result of
> >	some episode(s) being available only in Black & White.
>
> As of my latest official information, the situaion is as follows for
> the first two Pertwee seasons:
>
>           Story Name                    Existing Color Episodes
>
>           Spearhead from Space          All
>           Doctor Who and the Silurians  None
>           The Ambassadors of Death      Only Episode 1
>           Inferno                       All
>           Terror of the Autons          None
>           The Mind of Evil              None
>           The Claws of Axos             All
>           Colony in Space               All
>           The Daemons                   Only Episode 4

I must apologize about presenting outdated information.  Here is what
should be changed, according to my latest info:

            Story Name                    Existing Color Episodes
            ----------                    -----------------------

            Doctor Who and the Silurians  All exist in very poor quality;
                                          A good copy is suspected to exist.

            The Ambassadors of Death      Episode 1 in good quality;
                                          All others in very poor quality.

            Terror of the Autons          All exist in very poor quality;
                                          A good copy is suspected to exist.

            The Mind of Evil              Only the first few minutes of
                                          episode 1.

            The Daemons                   Episode 4 in good quality;
                                          All others in very poor quality;
                                          A good copy is suspected to exist.
> and then, with two later stories:
>
>           Planet of the Daleks          All EXCEPT Episode 3
>           Invasion of the Dinosaurs     All EXCEPT Episode 1
>
> All Pertwee episodes not existing in color exist in black and white.

This part is allright.

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (01/23/86)

>>	...If this
>> 	is the case it could be possible to reconstruct color prints
>> 	using techniques similar to the process which produced color
>> 	versions of several vintage (Black & White) Twilight Zone stories.
>
>This was done with the existing part of "The Tenth Planet" (episodes
>1, 2, 3, and the regeneration sequence at the end of episode 4),
>by (I believe) the Australians.  I do not know how it turned out.

No, that was the April Fools joke of 1984 as perpetrated by the
Production Office and Marvel Comics.  The colour version was
allegedly for Canada.  If it did exist, I'd have had it by now...
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"But Doctor, we're on that island!"
"Oh my word!"			who said them, what story?

cc-30@cory.BERKELEY.EDU (Sean "Yoda" Rouse) (01/23/86)

>	Do complete color prints of 'Doctor Who and the Silurians' and
>	'The Ambassadors of Death' exist ??? The PBS station in Phoenix
>	(KAET) broadcast was in Black & White. This may be a result of
>	some episode(s) being available only in Black & White. If this
>	is the case it could be possible to reconstruct color prints
>	using techniques similar to the process which produced color
>	versions of several vintage (Black & White) Twilight Zone stories.
>
>Rumour has it that they exist.  There may be a colour copy of Silurians
>floating around on the black market, as well as Terror of the Autons
>and The Daemons.

	I remember reading in "The Whovian Times" that DWFCA had colour
prints of some of these but I can't remember which issue that was and
I can't refer to my back issues since they are far away. I also met someone
in line at Timecon '85 who said he had "The Daemons" in colour and that he
got it in Chicago.

				-Sean "Yoda" Rouse

				ARPA: cc-30@cory.berkeley.edu.arpa
				UUCP: ucbvax!cory!cc-30