[net.tv.drwho] Galifrey & time travel

m128a3aw@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Sean "Yoda" Rouse) (02/20/86)

In article <343@spock.UUCP> ckuppe@spock.UUCP (Charles A. Kupperman '87 ) writes:
>In "The Three Doctors", the Tardis lights and internal force fields
>work, even when all Gallifrey's power is gone.

Funny, I remember that on Galifrey one of the Cardinals said "We're giving
his TARDIS all the powere we can." I also remember that the TARDIS couldn't
dematerialize.... In fact, the TARDIS only worked when Omega allowed it to
work.

>In "Full Circle" through to "Warrior's Gate", the Tardis functions perfectly
>even though there's no possible contact with Gallifrey.

What do you mean there's no possible contact with Galifrey? If there was
no possible contact, they couldn't have ended up in e-space. Of course, it's
never explained how the TARDIS gets its time travel capabilities from Galifrey.
Now, since we really don't know how the TARDIS works...

>In "Edge of Destruction", the Doctor claims the Tardis' power source
>lies under the console.  The power, he claims, will escape if the
>central column rises too high.  This power could destroy the Tardis.

It could be the internal power source which gets the power feed from
Galifrey.

>So it seems that even without Gallifrey the Tardis would function.
>(More or less)

I still don't think so, especially because of the Eye of Harmony sitting
underneath the Panopticon has always been explained as the SOURCE of the
Time Lords' power. (well, actualy not always, but ever since "The Deadly
Assasin"

					-Sean "Yoda" Rouse
					temporarily on brahms.

UUCP: ucbvax!cory!cc-30