[net.tv.drwho] "The Five Doctors" queries

chai@utflis.UUCP (02/13/86)

[Hello again, world!]

Gee, it's nice to be able to read news again.  I'm not sure if my
questions have been brought up before, but here goes:

1) in _The_King's_Demons_ Kameleom went into the TARDIS but it
   did not appear in _The_Five_Doctors_; did I miss something?

2) TVOntario showed _The_King's_Demons_ and then went on to
   _Warriors_of_the_Deep_, skipping _The_Five_Dcotors_.
   (luckily I saw it on a PBS channel)  Could it be because
   that particular story did not exist in a 4-part form ?

--
Henry Chai (guest on suran@utcsri)
{watmath,ihnp4,allegra}!utcsri!utflis!chai        chai%utflis@TORONTO

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (02/16/86)

> 1) in _The_King's_Demons_ Kameleom went into the TARDIS but it
>    did not appear in _The_Five_Doctors_; did I miss something?

No, you didn't; Kameleon did not appear after "The King's Demons"
until "Planet of Fire," the second-to-last Davison story.  He was
originally supposed to appear in "The Awakening," but then it was
made into a two-part story only, hence Kameleon was left out.
Another instance of JN-T's showing off his stupidity.

> 2) TVOntario showed _The_King's_Demons_ and then went on to
>    _Warriors_of_the_Deep_, skipping _The_Five_Dcotors_.
>    (luckily I saw it on a PBS channel)  Could it be because
>    that particular story did not exist in a 4-part form ?

"The Five Doctors" is available both in full length and in 4-part
format.  However, I believe that Lionheart packages it separately
from the rest of the Davisons.  Also, I don't know how these
arrangements work in Canada.

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus
        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
        |II II|
        -------

dr37@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Joanna Bryson) (02/16/86)

In article <2118@utcsri.UUCP> utflis!chai@utcsri.UUCP (Henry Chai) writes:
>1) in _The_King's_Demons_ Kameleom went into the TARDIS but it
>   did not appear in _The_Five_Doctors_; did I miss something?

The Doctor forced Kameleon to turn into the new Tardis console  :-)

Joanna

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (02/17/86)

In article <2118@utcsri.UUCP> utflis!chai@utcsri.UUCP (Henry Chai) writes:

>1) in _The_King's_Demons_ Kameleom went into the TARDIS but it
>   did not appear in _The_Five_Doctors_; did I miss something?

I think he just stayed in the TARDIS.

>2) TVOntario showed _The_King's_Demons_ and then went on to
>   _Warriors_of_the_Deep_, skipping _The_Five_Dcotors_.
>   (luckily I saw it on a PBS channel)  Could it be because
>   that particular story did not exist in a 4-part form ?

It was originally shown as a long (90 minute), one episode show. However,
the Chicago PBS station (WTTW), which shows DW in feature format, also shows
"The Five Doctors" out of sequence (after all the other Davison stories have
been shown.)

I still haven't been able to figure this out, as WTTW is always so
fastidious about showing the stories in order.

				   Barth Richards
				   Tellabs, Inc.
				   Lisle, IL

ph@wucec2.UUCP (02/20/86)

In article <808@tellab1.UUCP> barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) writes:
>								  However,
>the Chicago PBS station (WTTW), which shows DW in feature format, also shows
>"The Five Doctors" out of sequence (after all the other Davison stories have
>been shown.)
>
>I still haven't been able to figure this out, as WTTW is always so
>fastidious about showing the stories in order.

	    I don't know if this is the case with your station, but KETC
	tends to broadcast of THE FIVE DOCTORS out of order with the
	rest of the episodes so they can show it during their (???)-ly
	fund drives and ensure as large an audience as possible.

						--pH
/*
 *	    "Oh, don't listen to me; _I_ never do!"
 */

ags@pucc-h (Dave Seaman) (02/21/86)

In article <1372@wucec2.UUCP> ph@wucec2.UUCP (Paul Hahn) writes:
>In article <808@tellab1.UUCP> barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) writes:
>>								  However,
>>the Chicago PBS station (WTTW), which shows DW in feature format, also shows
>>"The Five Doctors" out of sequence (after all the other Davison stories have
>>been shown.)
>
>	    I don't know if this is the case with your station, but KETC
>	tends to broadcast of THE FIVE DOCTORS out of order with the
>	rest of the episodes so they can show it during their (???)-ly
>	fund drives and ensure as large an audience as possible.
>
>						--pH

That's not what's happening at WTTW, because in December, 1984, they could
have shown THE FIVE DOCTORS in its proper place during their special pledge
week.  Instead they showed it in January, 1985, after CAVES OF ANDROZANI.

I do know that THE FIVE DOCTORS is packaged separately from everything else.
WFYI in Indianapolis showed it during their last pledge drive.  This is the
only Doctor Who they have ever shown at WFYI.  They were swamped with pledges,
by the way, but so far no plans have been announced to pick up the series.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens next time around on WTTW.
They have announced new acquisitions since last time around, including
"nine Colin Baker adventures", and they have retained the rights to
"most of" the stories that have been on before, including "twenty of the
Peter Davison adventures".

From things that have been said on the air and reported in this news group,
I have come to the conclusion that CAVES OF ANDROZANI has been withdrawn
from the Peter Davison package and reissued as part of the Colin Baker
package, probably with a re-edited regeneration sequence.  Perhaps next
time we'll see THE FIVE DOCTORS after PLANET OF FIRE and before CAVES OF
ANDROZANI?

For those who are counting there should be 22 Peter Davison stories if
you include both THE FIVE DOCTORS and CAVES OF ANDROZANI.  I believe there
are 7 Colin Baker stories, one of which (THE TWO DOCTORS) will presumably
be shown in two parts on WTTW, plus ANDROZANI for a total of nine "adventures."
--
Dave Seaman	  					pur-ee!pucc-h!ags

Whoops, I just wrote:
>For those who are counting there should be 22 Peter Davison stories if
>you include both THE FIVE DOCTORS and CAVES OF ANDROZANI.

I think that should be 21, rather than 22.
--
Dave Seaman	  					pur-ee!pucc-h!ags

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (02/25/86)

In article <1372@wucec2.UUCP> ph@wucec2.UUCP (Paul Hahn) writes:

>In article <808@tellab1.UUCP> barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (me) writes:
>>								  However,
>>the Chicago PBS station (WTTW), which shows DW in feature format, also shows
>>"The Five Doctors" out of sequence (after all the other Davison stories have
>>been shown.)
>>
>>I still haven't been able to figure this out, as WTTW is always so
>>fastidious about showing the stories in order.
>
>	    I don't know if this is the case with your station, but KETC
>	tends to broadcast of THE FIVE DOCTORS out of order with the
>	rest of the episodes so they can show it during their (???)-ly
>	fund drives and ensure as large an audience as possible.

That's the odd part about it. Last time around on WTTW (Chicago), THE FIVE
DOCTORS *would have* fallen into the ongoing subscription drive, but they
waited until they had shown all the rest of the Davison features to show
THE FIVE DOCTORS, putting it on more than a month later. (During subscription
drives, WTTW shows five full stories in a week, running Sunday through
Thursday, instead of just the usual one on Sunday night. So they do do
something to bolster viewership during those weeks.)

				 Barth Richards
				 Tellabs, Inc.
				 Lisle, IL