[net.tv.drwho] Regeneration

stuart@ncoast.UUCP (Stuart Freedman) (08/16/84)

When a time lord regenerates, he does it in whatever clothes he happens to
be wearing at the time.

Aside from the shows which have been lost by the BBC, there are also many
which are in miserable shape (or at least that's how they get to me!).
I have no idea why they don't show Spearhead from Space (the first Pertwee),
as I have a dub of a camera-copy of it that the Australian Broadcasting
Company showed at one time or another.  Perhaps the ABC is another source
to which we can look for 'lost' episodes.

As for the people who request episode guides, there are a few different
books on the market which do include them (I have an old set:  The Doctor
Who Programme Guide by Jean-Marc Lofficier).  I know that there is a
hardbound ~$20 book which does a nice twentieth anniversary retrospective,
which includes a more complete listing than the aforementioned paperback
reference.  I advise you to look in your local comic book store as well
for fanzines, which also give similar services occasionally.

My apologies for being so didactic.

--
Stuart Freedman					(216)283-5812
3317 Chadbourne Rd.			...decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!stuart

"I hate goodbyes!"

ccs026@ucdavis.UUCP (ccs026) (02/11/86)

     I just saw "The Keeper of Traken" and am confused about what the
Master did.  He says that he is on his 12th regeneration.  At the end
of the episode he takes over the body of Nyssa'a father.  How was he
able to do this?  The Doctor regenerates by using his own body and the
Master regenerates by taking someone else's?  Or was this something
different than regeneration?  Whatever he did, he couldn't have used
the power of The Source because his efforts to control it had already
been thwarted by the Doctor.

			 Mike Keihl
			 {ucbvax,lll-crg,dual}!ucdavis!deneb!ccs026

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (02/13/86)

The answer to your question has its roots in the earlier Tom Baker
story "The Deadly Assassin."  In that story, the Master's
12th regeneration was just expiring.  By coming back to Gallifrey
and using the powers of the Eye of Harmony, he managed to get the
energy necessary to make a 13th regeneration possible.  In "The
Keeper of Traken," he took advanatage of this and stole Tremas's
body to effect a nearly perfect 13th regeneration. (It must have
its flaws, however, because in "The Five Doctors," he jumps at
the opprtunity to get an honest-to-goodness regeneration).

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus
        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
        |II II|
        -------

      I still insist that The Master simply stole Tremas's body
      because he liked the idea of having the body of someone
      whose name was an anagram of his own.

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (02/14/86)

In Keeper of Traken, the Master had absorbed enough energy from
the Source to allow him to seize Tremas' body and use it as his
own.  In a later story, The Master is asked about a new regeneration,
to which he replies, "Not exactly."
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"But Doctor, we're on that island!"
"Oh my word!"			who said them, what story?

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (02/15/86)

In article <178@ucdavis.UUCP> ccs026@ucdavis.UUCP (ccs026) writes:

>     I just saw "The Keeper of Traken" and am confused about what the
>Master did.  He says that he is on his 12th regeneration.  At the end
>of the episode he takes over the body of Nyssa'a father.  How was he
>able to do this?  The Doctor regenerates by using his own body and the
>Master regenerates by taking someone else's?  Or was this something
>different than regeneration?  Whatever he did, he couldn't have used
>the power of The Source because his efforts to control it had already
>been thwarted by the Doctor.

Time Lords have twelve regenerations (therefore thirteen "incarnations," as
their first "incarnation" is the result of their birth and not a result of
a regeneration). The Master had used up his twelve regenerations and was in
a severely degenerated state, but utilizing the lingering power of the Source,
he was able to commandeer the body of Tremas (sp?). Therefore effecting a
"thirteenth regeneration" and forestalling his own death by foul means. (Not
really so much a regeneration as a murder/hijacking.)

				  Barth Richards
				  Tellabs, Inc.
				  Lisle, IL

laneg@ulowell.UUCP (Dromio) (02/27/86)

In article <178@ucdavis.UUCP> ccs026@ucdavis.UUCP (ccs026) writes:
>     I just saw "The Keeper of Traken" and am confused about what the
>Master did.  He says that he is on his 12th regeneration.  At the end
>of the episode he takes over the body of Nyssa'a father.  How was he
>able to do this?  The Doctor regenerates by using his own body and the
>Master regenerates by taking someone else's?  Or was this something
>different than regeneration?  Whatever he did, he couldn't have used
>the power of The Source because his efforts to control it had already
>been thwarted by the Doctor.

Actually, a couple of episodes later on (when the Doctor one again meets the
Master), he says that the Master still had some of the power of the source
left, apparantly enough to snatch the body in question, and (as I recall the
episode) to rejuvenate it to a age suitable to him. The Master had already
regenerated normally twelve times, which is the maximum amount of possible
regenerations, and had been trying to regenerate again for quite a few
episodes. I'm wondering whether the Master will be able to take this new
body through a dozen generations as well. Anybody know?

				a lesser Power of Darkness

andre@nrcvax.UUCP (Andre Hut) (03/04/86)

In article <226@ulowell.UUCP> laneg@ulowell.UUCP (Dromio) writes:
>In article <178@ucdavis.UUCP> ccs026@ucdavis.UUCP (ccs026) writes:
>I'm wondering whether the Master will be able to take this new
>body through a dozen generations as well. Anybody know?

Let's just say that the Doctor will out survive the Master.

                                ihnp4-\
                sdcsvax-\              \
Andre' Hut              sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!andre
                hplabs--/              /
                         ucbvax!calma-/

Network Research Corporation
923 Executive Park Dr. Suite C