[net.tv.drwho] Jelly Babies

ken@qantel.UUCP (Ken Nichols@ex6193) (10/16/84)

(+-+-+-+-+-+)

I was wondering if anyone with massive trivial knowledge in the area of the
good Doctor could help me out here.  I am trying to get a list of all the
occurences when the Doctor (Tom Baker) uses Jelly Babies and what he does with
them in each occurence.  I'm sure he uses them quite a few times, but I can
never remember the names of these episodes.  I would appreciate it if someone
out there can help me out.  Please post or mail, whichever you prefer.
Thank you.

Ken Nichols
...!ucbvax!dual!qantel!ken

"Don't move, or I'll kill him with this deadly Jelly Baby!"
-----------

chandave@ncoast.UUCP (Davy Chan) (05/07/85)

<>
Earlier in the year I saw a request for the instruction for making
Jelly Babies.  Since then I have not heard of anything about it on
the net.  Did I miss it or is the formula still a mystery?
See ya...

d.c.

dkl@usl.UUCP (Dwayne K. Lanclos) (05/13/85)

I've found candies called "Jube Jels" made by Brach's in TG&Y, K&B and other
fine eating establishments.  These little candies look like the same kind
of condiments the Doctor gobbles down on TV.  They come in all colors and
are shaped in various forms (both animate and inanimate).  They are more
like licorice than jelly beans.  If anyone has tasted legitimate jelly
babies, please respond if these "Jube Jels" are anything like the real
thing.

-----------
Come to the shell for answers.

dwayne
{akgua, ut-sally}!usl!dkl

chas@ihuxe.UUCP (Charles Lambert) (05/15/85)

> .......                                       They come in all colors and
> are shaped in various forms (both animate and inanimate).  They are more
> like licorice than jelly beans.

The true "jelly-babies" don't taste of liquorice (excuse my British spelling).
They are similar to jelly-beans but without the hard-sugar coating. They're
all the same shape - small humanoid.

Frothy British magazine programs occasionally run "man/woman-in-the-street"
surveys along the lines "what colour do you prefer and do you bite off the
head or the legs first?" - and then attempt to draw flippant psychological
conclusions about (usually) the subject's amorous propensities.

Those of you living in Milwaukee can find the genuine jelly-baby at a shop
called "Bits of Britain", 1201 Russel Avenue (near Kinickinick).

Charlie @ the Death Star, IL.

gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson) (05/16/85)

> I've found candies called "Jube Jels" made by Brach's in TG&Y, K&B and other
> fine eating establishments.  These little candies look like the same kind
> of condiments the Doctor gobbles down on TV.  They come in all colors and
> are shaped in various forms (both animate and inanimate).  They are more
> like licorice than jelly beans.  If anyone has tasted legitimate jelly
> babies, please respond if these "Jube Jels" are anything like the real
> thing.
>
> -----------
> Come to the shell for answers.
>
> dwayne
> {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!dkl

No, they're not the same thing!  Nothing is!  Jelly babies aren't even very
much like jelly beans or gummi-bears.  They're totally unique, and I'm addicted
to them.  They only have one shape, sort of like a stylized baby.

Actually, some helpful person (sorry I don't remember who) once gave me a
number for somewhere called The British Food Centre.  This place takes mail-
order, and they deliver jelly babies for one heck of a lot less than they're
sold at conventions (~$1.50 a box vs. $3.50 and up at cons).  Unfortunately,
to get this price, you have to buy a case of jelly babies...that's 12 4-oz
boxes.

But hey, when you're an addict, it's all the same.

(If anyone wants the Food Centre's number, it's in CA somewhere, and I'll mail
it to anyone who's interested.)
Name:		G. T. Samson
Quote:		"No matter where you go...there you are." -- B. Banzai
Other_Quote:	"You speak treason!" "Fluently!" 	  -- The Doctor
ARPA:		gts@wjh12 [preferred] OR samson%h-sc4@harvard
USMail:		Lowell H-41, Harvard U., Cambridge, MA 02138

brian@bu-cs.UUCP (Brian Ross Gardner) (05/17/85)

This is my first time submitting anything to netland, so I
hope I'm not going to press the wrong switch an dematerialize...
   Does anyone know where such a British food store might exist in
the Boston area? (The bag in my pocket ran out.)
   Jelly babies don't taste like any of the American or German jelly
candies. They taste more like a soft sugar candies, than a jelly bean
or a jelly jude. (You can bend one in half much more easily, too.)
   I have hear rumour, and perhaps someone can back me up on this,
that jelly babies can not be marketed in the US because they use
Red Dye #2 (which the FDA outlawed several years ago, but is still very
much a normal ingredient in cangies made outside the US). I'm not
sure how British specialty shops carry them, but I imagine that
they may be covered under some other laws (perhaps as a novelty item,
rather than a candy...just a guess...please don't lynch me).
   I'd very much like to get them from a British specialty shop in
Boston. Unfortunately everyone I know gets them from the same place
I get them. (Yes -- my pocket).
                      -- Brian G.
:wq

joee@shark.UUCP (Joe Eckardt) (05/17/85)

In article <497@usl.UUCP> dkl@usl.UUCP (Dwayne K. Lanclos) writes:
>I've found candies called "Jube Jels" made by Brach's in TG&Y, K&B and other
>fine eating establishments.  These little candies look like the same kind
>of condiments the Doctor gobbles down on TV.  They come in all colors and
>are shaped in various forms (both animate and inanimate).  They are more
>like licorice than jelly beans.  If anyone has tasted legitimate jelly
>babies, please respond if these "Jube Jels" are anything like the real
>thing.

Real "Jelly Babies" are some of the strangest candies I've ever tasted
(not to imply they're not good.)  I found they take a bit of getting
used to.  They are unlike any American made candy that I've ever
encountered.

Briefly, they come 5 flavors to a box: lime, orange, cherry, lemon, and grape.
All flavors are fairly fruit-like (except, in my opinion, the grape) and all
are rather strong.  Each candy is roughly in the form of a baby doll about
1" long.  The center of the candy is a very soft jelly, sort of similar in
both taste and texture to a "Sunkist Fruit Jelly" if you happen to be
familiar with those.  It is somewhat softer than the inside of an "orange
slice" jelly.  The outside of the candy is harder than the middle, but
still very soft; maybe about the consistancy of the inside of a jelly
bean, but not at all sticky.  There appears to be a higher sugar content
in this thin outside shell.  This shell has a dull surface (as opposed
to the shininess of the inside part).  Both the middle and the shell
are the same (appropriate for flavor) color throughout.  There is a very
light dusting of some sort of white powder (powdered sugar, flour, other?)
over all of the candies, I assume to keep them from sticking together.
The powder does not seem to adhere to the candies and can be brushed off
easily if desired.

The box I got (at a convention) was, I think, about 5oz and contained about
12 or 15 candies.

Hope this helps.

			Joe Eckardt
			Tektronix
			Wilsonville, Oregon

UUCP:	...!tektronix!tekecs!joee (ignore return address)
CSNET:	tekecs!joee @ tektronix
ARPA:	tekecs!joee.tektronix @ rand-relay

acsgjjp@sunybcs.UUCP (Jim Poltrone) (05/20/85)

[Ah-wii! The laka nuki's got me!!]
>    Jelly babies don't taste like any of the American or German jelly
> candies. They taste more like a soft sugar candies, than a jelly bean
> or a jelly jude. (You can bend one in half much more easily, too.)

Agreed.  For those of us who have had jelly babies before (and I guess that
would be most of you), there is nothing quite like a jellybaby.
They are quite soft (when they're fresh), unlike jelly beans, which have
a harder outer shell.  And have much more flavour than a jellybean does.
They come in five flavors (and colors) -- cherry (red), orange, lemon,
lime (?), and my favorite, blackcurrant (the purple ones) -- no, a black-
currant doesn't taste at all like a grape.  Get some blackcurrant tea
(I recommend Twinings) when you get the chance.

>    I have hear rumour, and perhaps someone can back me up on this,
> that jelly babies can not be marketed in the US because they use
> Red Dye #2 (which the FDA outlawed several years ago, but is still very
> much a normal ingredient in cangies made outside the US). ....

I've heard this too.  I don't know how the dealers can get them through
customs, but they probably pay a lot in duty (which -- you guessed it --
is most likely a big chunk of the convention price).  I wonder how much they
go for in Great Britain.
I wonder if anyone has stated a petion drive to get Geo. Bassett & Co. of
Sheffield, England (the ones who sell the jellybabies in yellow cardboard
boxes) to start making the red ones with something other than Red Dye #2.

From another jellybaby junkie...
--
From the House on the Knoll, not far from the Holt...
Jim Poltrone  (a/k/a Poltr1, the Last of the Raster Blasters)

dpa@ihuxo.UUCP (Dave Allen) (07/08/85)

I saw "Revenge of the Cybermen" for the first time in quite a while
a couple of weeks ago here in Chicago.  There is one scene where
you actually get a good look at Jelly Babies.  The Doctor has just
been knocked out by the Cybermen and a human goes through his
pockets finding apple cores, other junk and a small white paper bag.
He dumps the contents of the white bag and for several seconds you
see a couple of dozen Jelly Babies in all their assorted colors.
--
Dave Allen	ihuxo!dpa	AT&T Bell Labs	Rm: IH 4A-409	Tel:(312) 979-(4378)

timpson@comet2.DEC (IN THE HANDS OF THE FATHER) (02/26/86)

Jelly babies are available through the DR WHO FAN CLUB OF AMERICA in Denver
Colorado.  AT Least they are advertising them through there news letter.
They are very expensive though.  Something on the order of $4.00 for 10.

The address to write to is:

                                 DWFCA
                                 Cherry Creek Station
                                 P.O. Box 6024
                                 Denver, Colo. 80206-0024

Steve

P.S.  For those of you with VT 100 or up and AVO the following is for you.

<[2J[2;4H
                  *   _                        *
        *            [1;5m[7m: :[0m             [1;5m*[0m
            =====================              *
            [7m|||  POLICE BOX   |||[0m                        *
            =====================	            *        *
*            | ------- ------- |       *               [1;5m*[0m
    [1;5m*[0m        | [7m||    |[0m [7m||    |[0m |        [7m********************[0m   *
 *           | [7m||====|[0m [7m||    |[0m |        [7m********************[0m
  *          | [7m||====|[0m [7m||    |[0m |               *                     *              *
             | [7m||----|[0m [7m||----|[0m |       *             [1;5m*[0m              (              *
       *     | [7m||    |[0m [7m||    |[0m |        *                        /---\
             | [7m||    |[0m [7m||    |[0m |                 \  ----------  /     \\___
             | [7m||    |[0m [7m||    |[0m |                  \/ -------- \\\________/-
            _____________________                 /  [7m|  K-9 |[0m  \

tina@reed.UUCP (Katherina Todd) (03/04/86)

Hello again.  If anyone wishes to save large amounts of money on Jelly Babies,
I can get them here for around $1.50.  If you want them, and can pay me back,
(shipping too), **mail** me, and I'll see what I can do.  They are cute, but
really do taste pretty vile.  They're kind of dry and not at all like, say,
Gummi Bears.  Whatever suits your taste, I suppose.

Well, must dash, and get my REAL mail.  Let me know.