[net.tv.drwho] Free for use of public

kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) (02/28/86)

   Someone recently asked what the small sign on the left-hand door on
the Doctor's TARDIS said.  Well the April issue of STARLOG magazine has
a picture of Colin Baker coming out of the TARDIS and the sign says:

			   PUBLIC TELEPHONE

				FREE
			     FOR USE OF
			       PUBLIC

			  ADVICE & ASSISTANCE
			 OBTAINABLE IMMEDIATELY

			   OFFICER & CARS
			 RESPOND TO ALL CALLS

			    PULL TO OPEN

   However, it seems to me that over the years I have seen different signs
(most unreadable) on the door.  This article 'Colin Baker - The Cat Who Walks
By Himself' goes on to say that Doctor Who's production will start this month
with 14 half-hour shows covering only three stories, shorter than Colin's
first season which contained 13 50-minute episodes.  He also goes on to say
that he is quite happy playing the Doctor and has no intention of leaving the
role at this time.  Also, John Nathen-Turner is not being replaced by the BBC.

---
Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,ihnp4!nsc}!voder!kevin

"It's a sort of threat, you see.  I've never been very good at them
  myself but I'm told they can be very effective."

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (03/05/86)

In article <1033@voder.UUCP> kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) writes:

>   Someone recently asked what the small sign on the left-hand door on
>the Doctor's TARDIS said.  Well the April issue of STARLOG magazine has
>a picture of Colin Baker coming out of the TARDIS and the sign says:
>
>			   PUBLIC TELEPHONE
>
>				FREE
>			     FOR USE OF
>			       PUBLIC
>
>			  ADVICE & ASSISTANCE
>			 OBTAINABLE IMMEDIATELY
>
>			   OFFICER & CARS
>			 RESPOND TO ALL CALLS
>
>			    PULL TO OPEN
>
>   However, it seems to me that over the years I have seen different signs
>(most unreadable) on the door.

They all say pretty much the same thing (i.e. what you stated above).

You are right, though. Just from the photos I've got in the two Peter
Haining books, I've noticed at least three signs, the first one white with
dark lettering, the others dark with white lettering.

I've also noticed two completely different police boxes!

One photo of Patrick Troughton reviewing the script with a Yeti shows the
TARDIS in the background, and I noticed that it was different than the one
I had seen in later photos, and in later episodes of the series. (If you
have the book DOCTOR WHO: A CELEBRATION, check out the photo, paying close
attention to the roof and the molding immediately under it.)

			     Barth Richards
			     Tellabs, Inc.
			     Lisle, IL