[net.tv.drwho] basics

pro@trwrba.UUCP (Peter R. Olpe) (02/28/86)

I am a new fan of Dr. Who and I was wondering if someone could
answer a few questions:

 1- Who is the Doctor?  I know that he isn't human, and that he is
    really old, but that's about it.

 2- Who is the Master, and what is his relation to the Doctor?

 3- What is the relation between the Time Lords and the Doctor?

KCET Los Angelas is currently showing John Pertwee episodes, so I
imagine it will be a long time before they wrap around and show
the first Dr. Who.
Also, does anyone have a list of the episodes, and possibly a
summary or a rating for each one? (How many episodes are there?)

Thanks in advance.

--

                               -Pete Olpe-

         UUCP Path:  ...decwrl!decvax!trwrb!trwrba!pro

andre@nrcvax.UUCP (Andre Hut) (03/04/86)

In article <1871@trwrba.UUCP> pro@trwrba.UUCP (Peter R. Olpe) writes:

>I am a new fan of Dr. Who and I was wondering if someone could
>answer a few questions:
>
> 1- Who is the Doctor?  I know that he isn't human, and that he is
>    really old, but that's about it.

The Doctor is a timelord from Gallifrey.  He stole the TARDIS while
it was being fixed (it's stuck looking like a police-box).

> 2- Who is the Master, and what is his relation to the Doctor?

The Master is also a timelord, but basically evil.  He would like nothing
better than to wipe the universe free of the Doctor, but they both have
great respect for each other.

> 3- What is the relation between the Time Lords and the Doctor?

The timelords let the Doctor roam about the universe & time because he
is basically good.  From time to time (no pun intended) they send him
on specific missions, though he does not like working for them.  The
fifth doctor is given the position of President of Gallifrey, but he
escapes in the TARDIS (The Five Doctors), as he does not want it.

>KCET Los Angelas is currently showing John Pertwee episodes, so I
>imagine it will be a long time before they wrap around and show
>the first Dr. Who.

A lot of the early episodes are gone, (reused the video tape I presume)
so you will probably never see all of them.

>Also, does anyone have a list of the episodes, and possibly a
>summary or a rating for each one? (How many episodes are there?)

There are many books on the subject.  Check the SCI-FI section.

                                ihnp4-\
                sdcsvax-\              \
Andre' Hut              sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!andre
                hplabs--/              /
                         ucbvax!calma-/

Network Research Corporation
923 Executive Park Dr. Suite C
Salt Lake City, Utah 84117

greggt@ncoast.UUCP (Gregg Thompson) (03/07/86)

> >KCET Los Angelas is currently showing John Pertwee episodes, so I
> >imagine it will be a long time before they wrap around and show
> >the first Dr. Who.
>
> A lot of the early episodes are gone, (reused the video tape I presume)
> so you will probably never see all of them.

	Here in Cleveland our public station has started from the beginning
and is showing all the way through Colin Baker. What they do after that,
they will decide then.

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) (03/14/86)

> > >KCET Los Angelas is currently showing John Pertwee episodes, so I
> > >imagine it will be a long time before they wrap around and show
> > >the first Dr. Who.
> >
> > A lot of the early episodes are gone, (reused the video tape I presume)
> > so you will probably never see all of them.
>
> 	Here in Cleveland our public station has started from the beginning
> and is showing all the way through Colin Baker. What they do after that,
> they will decide then.

Well, that should kill several years seeing that the Dr. Who series is
over twenty years old.

The Wumpus