[net.tv.drwho] "re: jelly babies"

188622462@excalibur.UUCP (Greene T Richard) (03/06/86)

In article <528@nrcvax.UUCP> andre@nrcvax.UUCP (Andre Hut) writes:

>In article <437@utastro.UUCP> wheel@utastro.UUCP (Craig Wheeler) writes:
>>Have I missed something?
>>
>>I must have, as I havent yet seen the connection between jelly babies and
>>doctor who...
>>

>There are many things the Doctor carrys in his pockets, among them are
>Jelly Babies.  The Tom Baker episodes are full of references to Jelly Babies.
>There is even an episode where he uses them to distract a guard and steal
>an air-vechicle (The name of the story escapes me).

Unless I am mistaken, the story is "The Pirate Planet".

BTW, "The Pirate Planet" is one of the few stories in which the sonic screw-
driver fails to open a door.  Before you argue, let me remind you that while
the door did open, it was not from a result of the sonic screwdriver unlocking
it.  From the Doctor's (#4) reaction, we are lead to believe that he did not
cause it to open, he just wants to take credit for it.
Can anyone name the other shows where the Doctor's little helper didn't?

Rick Greene
      ...!ihnp4!psuvax1!vu-vlsi!excalibur!188622462

nomad@orstcs.UUCP (nomad) (03/09/86)

   His little helper as you put it, failed to open Card. Borusa's
(sp??) secret door in "Invasion of Time." (Leela's last show). The door
had a voice print lock, and we all know that "There's nothing more useless
than a voice print lock." :-)

LEE DAMON         FidoNet: 17/1 (CastleNet) {Lee Damon,SysOp}
		  CSnet:  nomad%oregon-state@csnet-relay
                  UUCP :  {hp-pcd,tektronix}!orstcs!nomad

	"Say what you like, the bicycle has a great past ahead of it."

stuart@ihlpf.UUCP (Ericson) (03/13/86)

> BTW, "The Pirate Planet" is one of the few stories in which the sonic screw-
> driver fails to open a door.  Before you argue, let me remind you that while
> the door did open, it was not from a result of the sonic screwdriver unlocking
> it.  From the Doctor's (#4) reaction, we are lead to believe that he did not
> cause it to open, he just wants to take credit for it.
> Can anyone name the other shows where the Doctor's little helper didn't?
>
> Rick Greene
>       ...!ihnp4!psuvax1!vu-vlsi!excalibur!188622462

How about in "The Keeper of Traken"?  Didn't Nyssa (sp?) have to
come up with the actual electronic key?

Also wasn't there a show set in the middle ages (plague days)
when the Doctor tried to open a purely *mechanical* lock with
the ol' sonic screwdriver?

Stuart Ericson
!ihnp4!ihlpf!stuart

"Sure I'd come and explain it all, but my de-materialization circuit
 is blown."

atoy@watnot.UUCP (Andy Toy) (03/13/86)

In article <424@excalibur.UUCP> (Greene T Richard) writes:
>BTW, "The Pirate Planet" is one of the few stories in which the sonic screw-
>driver fails to open a door.  Before you argue, let me remind you that while
>the door did open, it was not from a result of the sonic screwdriver unlocking
>it.  From the Doctor's (#4) reaction, we are lead to believe that he did not
>cause it to open, he just wants to take credit for it.
>Can anyone name the other shows where the Doctor's little helper didn't?

In the ARC OF INFINITY, the Doctor couldn't get the doors open in the
security area on Gallifrey when his TARDIS was recalled.
--
  Andy Toy, Mapping Analysis and Design Group (MAD),
  Faculty of Environmental Studies, University of Waterloo,

ins_ajpo@jhunix.UUCP (Adric of Alzarius) (03/17/86)

> In the ARC OF INFINITY, the Doctor couldn't get the doors open in the
> security area on Gallifrey when his TARDIS was recalled.

The reason for this is the lock in the security area was much too complex to
 be taken care of in a few moments with something such as the sonic
 screwdriver.  The Doctor did explain to Nyssa that he couldn't have opened
 the lock that fast because of it's complexity.

"Not allowed?  Me???  I'm allowed everywhere!" -- The Doctor
Joseph P. Ogulin
  UUCP:    {seismo!umcp-cs | ihnp4!whuxcc | allegra!hopkins}!jhunix!ins_ajpo
  ARPA:    ins_ajpo%jhunix.BITNET@wiscvm.WISC.EDU
  BITNET:  ins_ajpo@jhunix.BITNET