[net.tv.drwho] Doctor's powers

rbh9613@wucec2.UUCP (02/27/86)

(feed the hungry line eaters of the world)

	I noticed in Four to Doomsday that the Dr.(#5) could
not understand the Australian aborigine and that Tegan had
to translate for him.  But in the Masque of Madragora, the
Dr.(#4) explained to Sarah Jane that the reason she could understand
the French(?) she was hearing, was because of a gift he shared
with her.(this of course was how he knew she was in a trance)

	Now, is this bacause the Dr. (now Peter Davison) is
still weak from his regeneration, or has he just lost the
capability to understand all the languages of the Universe?

mom@sfmag.UUCP (M.Modig) (03/03/86)

> 	I noticed in Four to Doomsday that the Dr.(#5) could
> not understand the Australian aborigine and that Tegan had
> to translate for him.  But in the Masque of Madragora, the
> Dr.(#4) explained to Sarah Jane that the reason she could understand
> the French(?) she was hearing, was because of a gift he shared
> with her.(this of course was how he knew she was in a trance)
>
> 	Now, is this bacause the Dr. (now Peter Davison) is
> still weak from his regeneration, or has he just lost the
> capability to understand all the languages of the Universe?

No, the scriptwriters have lost the capability of understanding
simple concepts like "continuity".  Actually, the show tends to get
itself into a lot of trouble with little asides like the exchange
between Sarah and the Doctor, so writers who come along afterward
tend to ignore little inconveniences that get in the way of their
plot.

Mark Modig
ihnp4!sfmag!mom

daver@sci.UUCP (Dave Rickel) (03/04/86)

That episode confused me for a while.  I figure that what actually happens
is that time lords have telepathic access to some sort of language data base.
If one time lord can speak a language, he can put his knowledge of the
language into this data base.  Then all the time lords can speak the language.
Apparently, no time lord ever bothered to learn to speak Australian Aborigine.

This might also explain why the Tardis is always referred to as a Tardis.
After Susan (do I have my history right?) made up the acronym, the Doctor stuck
it in the data base.

david rickel

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (03/05/86)

> 	I noticed in Four to Doomsday that the Dr.(#5) could
> not understand the Australian aborigine and that Tegan had
> to translate for him.  But in the Masque of Madragora, the
> Dr.(#4) explained to Sarah Jane that the reason she could understand
> the French(?) she was hearing, was because of a gift he shared
> with her.(this of course was how he knew she was in a trance)
> 	Now, is this bacause the Dr. (now Peter Davison) is
> still weak from his regeneration, or has he just lost the
> capability to understand all the languages of the Universe?

To quote Terry Nation loosely, as all New Jersey Network viewers
will know, this is not an inconsistency.  It is simply because

       /                               -----
      I    -x                          \              d
      I   e   + sqrt(c) - 2 a v dx  =   >     F(q z)  --
      I                                /              dr
     /                                 -----

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus
        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
        |II II|
        -------

mauney@ncsu.UUCP (Jon Mauney) (03/05/86)

> From: rbh9613@wucec2.UUCP
> 	I noticed in Four to Doomsday that the Dr.(#5) could
> not understand the Australian aborigine and that Tegan had
> to translate for him.  But in the Masque of Madragora, the
> Dr.(#4) explained to Sarah Jane that the reason she could understand
> the French(?) she was hearing, was because of a gift he shared
> with her.(this of course was how he knew she was in a trance)

In "The Web Planet" the Doctor cannot understand the Zarbi,
and in "The Leisure Hive" the Doctor cannot understand the Foamasi.
Obviously the gift is not like the "universal translator" used
in Star Trek (which operates on the Babelfish principle).
--

_Doctor_                           Jon Mauney,    mcnc!ncsu!mauney
\__Mu__/                           North Carolina State University

msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael S. Leibow) (03/11/86)

>This might also explain why the Tardis is always referred to as a Tardis.
>After Susan (do I have my history right?) made up the acronym, the Doctor stuck
>it in the data base.
>
>david rickel

I think the TARDIS had its name since its invention.  I just recently saw An
Unearthly Child, and I don't think that Susan made up the acronym.  I believe
that she just explained it to the intruders of the TARDIS.

wheel@utastro.UUCP (Craig Wheeler) (03/13/86)

In article <9422@ritcv.UUCP>, msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael S. Leibow) writes:
> >This might also explain why the Tardis is always referred to as a Tardis.
> >After Susan (do I have my history right?) made up the acronym, the Doctor stuck
> >it in the data base.
> >
> >david rickel
>
> I think the TARDIS had its name since its invention.  I just recently saw An
> Unearthly Child, and I don't think that Susan made up the acronym.  I believe
> that she just explained it to the intruders of the TARDIS.

No, I have An Unearthly Child on tape (somewhere!) and I am almost positive that
Susan thought up the acronym... and David Rickel's explaination of the incon-
gruency is valid and certainly creative.

------------------------------
"What happens then?"
"I EAT the celery.  If nothing else, it will be good for my teeth!"
------------------------------

ins_ajpo@jhunix.UUCP (Adric of Alzarius) (03/14/86)

>>>This might also explain why the Tardis is always referred to as a Tardis.
>>>After Susan (do I have my history right?) made up the acronym, the Doctor stuck
>>>it in the data base.
>>I think the TARDIS had its name since its invention.  I just recently saw An
>>Unearthly Child, and I don't think that Susan made up the acronym.  I believe
>>that she just explained it to the intruders of the TARDIS.
>No, I have An Unearthly Child on tape (somewhere!) and I am almost positive that
>Susan thought up the acronym... and David Rickel's explaination of the incon-
>gruency is valid and certainly creative.

The Doctor mentions that Susan thought up the acronym, meaning that Susan
thought of it BEFORE Ian and Barbara became the Doctor's travelling
companions.
"Me, not allowed??? I'm allowed everywhere!" -- The Doctor
Joseph P. Ogulin
  UUCP:   seismo!umcp-cs \                       BITNET: INS_AJPO@JHUVMS
            ihnp4!whuxcc  > !jhunix!ins_ajpo             P99I1798@JHUVM
         allegra!hopkins /                       CSNET:  ins_ajpo@jhunix.CSNET
              ARPA:   ins_ajpo%jhunix.BITNET@wiscvm.WISC.EDU

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (03/14/86)

In regards to the discussion of the Doctor's powers and the fact that
others besides the Doctor refer to his craft as a TARDIS, I thought that
the following from LOGOPOLIS might be of some use:

     Nyssa:  You mean he (the Master) can read your mind?

     Doctor: OF COURSE he can read my mind, he's a time lord.
	     In a way, we have the SAME mind.

(Emphasis NOT mine.)

			   Barth Richards
			   Telabs, Inc.
			   Lisle, IL

smith@ncoast.UUCP (Phil Smith) (03/17/86)

> Article <504@utastro.UUCP>
> From: wheel@utastro.UUCP (Craig Wheeler)

> In article <9422@ritcv.UUCP>, msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael S. Leibow) writes:
> > >This might also explain why the Tardis is always referred to as a Tardis.
> > >After Susan (do I have my history right?) made up the acronym, the Doctor stuck
> > >it in the data base.
> > >
> > >david rickel
> >
> > I think the TARDIS had its name since its invention.  I just recently saw An
> > Unearthly Child, and I don't think that Susan made up the acronym.  I believe
> > that she just explained it to the intruders of the TARDIS.
>
> No, I have An Unearthly Child on tape (somewhere!) and I am almost positive that
> Susan thought up the acronym... and David Rickel's explaination of the incon-
> gruency is valid and certainly creative.

An Unearthly Child played here less than a month ago. Susan
most definitely said that she was the one that made up the name.
( I've got it on tape to prove it ).
--

ncoast!smith@Case.CSNet (ncoast!smith%Case.CSNet@CSNet-Relay.ARPA)
..decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!smith