[net.tv.drwho] The Doctor's Resistance

gmp@rayssd.UUCP (Gregory M. Paris) (03/05/86)

After following the long discussion about the TARDIS's power source,
I wondered how one might explain the way The Doctor reacts to time
fields.  In at least two episodes, namely "Invasion of the Dinosaurs"
and "City of Death," The Doctor (and in the latter Romana) is (are)
exposed to time fields produced by others tinkering with time.  In
both episodes, the Doctor is affected differently than the surrounding
humans (and seemingly the rest of nearby space).  In both episodes it
is stated that it's because he's (and she's) a Time Lord.

If we call this difference "resistance" (for lack of a better word), then
my question becomes, "Why are Time Lords resistant to time fields?"
What is the source of the resistance?  It can hardly be energy coming
from Gallifrey...
--

++---------------------------------------------------------------------------++
||  Greg Paris             {allegra,linus,raybed2,ccice5,brunix}!rayssd!gmp  ||

glenn@anasazi.UUCP (Glenn Ehrlich) (03/11/86)

In article <2031@rayssd.UUCP> gmp@rayssd.UUCP (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
>After following the long discussion about the TARDIS's power source,
>I wondered how one might explain the way The Doctor reacts to time
>fields.  In at least two episodes, namely "Invasion of the Dinosaurs"...
>
>If we call this difference "resistance" (for lack of a better word), then
>my question becomes, "Why are Time Lords resistant to time fields?"
>What is the source of the resistance?  It can hardly be energy coming
>from Gallifrey...

I would hazard a guess that it is one of the mysterious powers that comes
from being exposed to the Eye of Harmony (the source of the Time Lords'
regenerations).

--
Glenn Ehrlich
{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!glenn

andre@nrcvax.UUCP (Andre Hut) (03/12/86)

>>If we call this difference "resistance" (for lack of a better word), then
>>my question becomes, "Why are Time Lords resistant to time fields?"
>>What is the source of the resistance?  It can hardly be energy coming
>>from Gallifrey...
>

>I would hazard a guess that it is one of the mysterious powers that comes
>from being exposed to the Eye of Harmony (the source of the Time Lords'
>regenerations).

Yes, I also noticed this in "The Time Monster", where there is a time field
slowing everything down, the Doctor seems to be unaffected.  Also classic
is the case in "The City of Death", where Sagaroth is playing with a time-
machine, and the Doctor and Romana seem to be on the verge of throwing-up
each time it is tested, though others in the same area seem unaffected.

                                ihnp4-\
                sdcsvax-\              \
Andre' Hut              sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!andre
                hplabs--/              /
                         ucbvax!calma-/

Network Research Corporation
923 Executive Park Dr. Suite C
Salt Lake City, Utah 84117

trudel@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jonathan D.) (03/18/86)

> >>If we call this difference "resistance" (for lack of a better word), then
> >>my question becomes, "Why are Time Lords resistant to time fields?"
> >>What is the source of the resistance?  It can hardly be energy coming
> >>from Gallifrey...
> >

> Yes, I also noticed this in "The Time Monster", where there is a time field
> slowing everything down, the Doctor seems to be unaffected.  Also classic
> is the case in "The City of Death", where Sagaroth is playing with a time-
> machine, and the Doctor and Romana seem to be on the verge of throwing-up
> each time it is tested, though others in the same area seem unaffected.

What about "The Warrior's Gate" where Romana is used in place of the time-
sensitive 'lions'?  She displays some sort of limited time awareness.
Something tells me that exposure to time travel makes one sensitive to or at
least aware the effects of time.  So much for pathos...
--
Jonathan D. Trudel		arpa: trudel@blue.rutgers.edu
				uucp:{seismo,allegra,ihnp4}!topaz!blue!trudel

Personally, I like my flying brains dark and evil.