[net.tv.drwho] basics AND A POLL-- please reply

mom@sfmag.UUCP (M.Modig) (03/08/86)

> Also, does anyone have a list of the episodes, and possibly a
> summary or a rating for each one? (How many episodes are there?)

Well there are summaries, and there are summaries.  Probably the
best place to look is in the Haining book or in the two volume
episode guide put out by Target done by J-M L'Officier (sp?).
Ratings--- well, since this is a network of fans, and it has been a while,
why don't we ask the readers of this newsgroup?

ATTENTION--- THE POLLS ARE NOW OPEN!!!

For each season's worth of episodes you've seen:

Name the best and worst episodes in that season

For each Doctor you've seen:

Name the best and worst episodes starring that Doctor
Name the best and worst companions from that Doctor's reign

Overall:

Name the best and worst episodes and companions

NOTE:  Consider "The Three Doctors" to be a Jon Pertwee episode,
"The Five Doctors" to be a Peter Davison episode, and "The Two Doctors"
to be a Colin Baker episode.

To vote-- make your choices as above, and either (r)eply to this
news item or mail to me at the address below.  I will post periodic
updates until the entries stop coming in, and I will acknowledge all
votes by electronic mail, or by a short posting if that fails.

I would really appreciate it if someone would post a story list---
maybe Mike Brown could oblige us-- I know he has one stashed away up
there in Wisconsin, or I can post my copy of his guide with his
kind permission.  If no one posts such a beast in a few days,
I will post a list of the episodes broken down by season at least,
and I will TRY to mail a copy of the list to people who miss it.
OK-- let's get going!!!

Mark Modig
..{decvax,seismo,ut-sally,ucbvax,tektronix}!ihnp4!sfsup!mom
..{decvax,ucbvax,tektronix,hplabs}!{ulysses,allegra}!sfsup!mom
..{attunix,btlunix}!mom

P.S. Sorry this is a repost, but it looks like the first posting vanished
into a black hole!

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (03/14/86)

> Well, that should kill several years seeing that the Dr. Who series is
> over twenty years old.

Yes, but seeing a story a week throughout the year is over ten times
as fast as the way the Britons see it.  The whole sequence of the
six Doctors will probably not take longer than two years.

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus
        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
        |II II|
        -------

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (03/18/86)

In article <5020165@acf4.UUCP> percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) writes:

>> Well, that should kill several years seeing that the Dr. Who series is
>> over twenty years old.
>
>Yes, but seeing a story a week throughout the year is over ten times
>as fast as the way the Britons see it.  The whole sequence of the
>six Doctors will probably not take longer than two years.

Currently available in the U.S. are 147 "features:"

          24 Hartnells

          10 Troughtons

          39 Pertwees

          45 Bakers (Tom)

          20 Davisons

           9 Bakers (Colin)

(a feature being one week's showing--a 4 episode story, half of a six to
eight episode story, or a third of a longer story.)

This works out to 2.819178 years (approximately) not taking into account the
fact that many PBS stations show 5 features during subscription drive week.

So it would take at least 2.5 years to get through everything that is
currently available, but then, of course, in two and a half years, many more
Colin Baker episodes will doubtless be made available.

			       Barth Richards
			       Tellabs, Inc.
			       Lisle, IL