[net.tv.drwho] Black vs White Guardians

andre@nrcvax.UUCP (Andre Hut) (03/22/86)

In article <1714@ihlpg.UUCP> tainter@ihlpg.UUCP (Tainter) writes:
>> The White Guardian only needed to have Time stopped for a short time
>> to adjust the balance of the Universe.  When the Doctor assembled
>> the Key for a short time, that gave the White Guardian the opening
>> he needed to do his task.  After that, the Doctor got rid of the Key,
>> partially because it was no longer needed, partially because he
>> didn't want it around to tempt him with its power, partially
>> because he and Romana felt it was cruel to, for example, keep
>> Princess Astra as a lump of crystal for all time, and partially so
>> someone (such as the Black Guardian) couldn't simply beat on the Doctor
>> and get the fully
>> assembled Key for themselves-- can you imagine how long even the
>> Doctor would last once word got round that he had the fully
>> assembled Key to Time in his possession?
>> Mark Modig
>> ihnp4!sfmag!mom
>
>WRONG!  The White Guardian did not actually have the doctor fetch the key,
>the Black Guardian disguised as the White Guardian did.  The doctor only
>caught onto the deception at the very end.

I don't mean to start something here, but this last statement doesn't make
much sense to me.  If the Black Guardian had originally sent the Doctor out
to fetch the Key to Time, why then was there a counter-part to the Doctor
also searching for the Key, and why have this big battle between the two
for possesion of the Key?  Why wouldn't the Black Guardian appear before
the Doctor just as he had before when he was sent out on his mission?

Another point: there were two different actors that played the Black and
White Guardians.  These same actors played the Guardians in a Davison
Story.  If you go by that, then the first guardian (The Ribos Operation)
was the WHITE guardian, and it was the BLACK guardian who tried to make
himself look like the white guardian in the end when he had the key.  The
reason that the Doctor knew he was not the white guardian was that the
white guardian would have felt or done something about Princess Astra.
The Black Guardian didn't care, all he wanted was the key.

For more information, read the book "The Ribos Operation".  It should be
clear then which guardian sent the Doctor on the mission to fetch the
key to time.

                                ihnp4-\
                sdcsvax-\              \
Andre' Hut              sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!andre
                hplabs--/              /
                         ucbvax!calma-/

Network Research Corporation
923 Executive Park Dr. Suite C