[net.astro.expert] why is the sky dark?

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (05/17/84)

[If a bug never has a chance to happen, is it truly a bug?}

I've been trying to make these notes short and to the point.
D. Gwyn writes:

>Why the night sky is dark (mistakenly called Olber's Paradox) is a
>very interesting question that is by no means settled.  There are
>explanations besides the finite extent of the observable universe;
>see Mandelbrot for one such (based on recursive clustering).  In
>any case, almost any sensible cosmological model is going to agree
>with the Hubble effect so this is not an important point for
>distinguishing between most cosmologies.

     Nigel Sharp has already written a nice note on Olber's paradox.  I just
want to add that Mandelbrot's picture is just a mathematical description
of a suggestion that is somewhat older (see the references on page 8 of
The Large-Scale Structure of the Universe by P.J.E. Peebles).  It is
based on an infinitely extended hierarchy of clustering, i.e. galaxies
form clusters, which form superclusters (so far known to be true), which
form superduper clusters (entirely unsupported by the evidence) etc.
No *dynamical* model of the universe based on this suggestion has ever
been constructed.  The interest in building one sharply decreased after
it became clear that the model was incompatible with the deep galaxy
counts made by Brown (1978), Tyson and Jarvis (1979), Ellis (1980),
Kron (1980). (This work has been continued up to the present with
essentially similar results.)
    I am puzzled by the comment that the Hubble expansion is not a useful
tool for distinguishing between cosmologies.  Any model can have the
Hubble law inserted by invoking ad hoc theories (tired light etc.), but
only a restricted class will have it as a natural consequence of the physics
used in building the model.

                     "Just another Cosmic Cowboy"

                         Ethan Vishniac
                         {ut-sally,ut-ngp,kpno}!utastro!ethan