[net.astro.expert] cosmological nucleosynthesis

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (05/18/84)

[Do not write in this space.]

I mentioned in earlier submission that the observed primordial
abundances provide a striking confirmation of a major prediction of
the standard cosmology.
D. Gwyn writes:

>I should state that I have not been following the "first N seconds
>after the big bang" developments, so I do not know to what extent
>the current elemental abundances depend on the details of that
>theory of their formation.  I do know that there are so many
>theoretical objections to a "big bang" that I would reserve it for
>a theory of last resort.

     The prediction of elemental abundances is based on the idea that if
the universe started out very hot, then at some point in its declining
temperature conditions would be appropriate for nucleosynthesis.  The
sequence of events is summarized nicely in Weinberg's book Gravitation
and Cosmology section 15.7.  The idea is that as the universe cools
the rate of weak reactions drops below that necessary to keep the
populations of neutrons and protons in thermal equilibrium.  The neutrons
then decay away (half life of a little over 10 minutes).  Long before
the neutrons have disappeared temperatures become favorable for building
nucleii.  Almost all the neutrons quickly combine with protons into deuterium.
Almost all the deuterium then proceeds to combine up to helium 4.  A very
small amount of lithium is made, but the usual difficulties in making heavier
elements prevent any significant amount of heavier atoms from being made.
This process is inherently a nonequilibrium process.  Therefore the
abundances that result will depend on the rate at which the temperature drops
(which depends on the expansion rate of the universe) and on the neutron
half life (about which some uncertainty remains).  The cross sections
used in the reaction rates are all well known and do not depend in any
significant way on ideas about quarks or the nature of unified field theory.
This calculation was first performed by Peebles (1966) and Wagoner, Fowler,
and Hoyle (1967).  The results have not changed significantly since.
One of the nice points that result is that since the results depend on
the expansion rate, which depends on the total local energy density, the
presence of weakly interacting massless particles (which would have been
produced with number densities comparable to the photons at still higher
temperatures) makes a detectable difference.  The detailed agreement
obtained between the observed abundances and our calculations makes it
possible to limit the number of separate massless (or low mass) neutrino
species to equal to or less than four.  This limit is the strictest limit
set on the number of neutrino species (currently expected to be three).
A striking test of this is now possible using the decay width of the neutral
weak vector boson (the Z particle) which is now being detected in experiments
at CERN.  Within a few years the limit set from the Z particle decay should
be comparable to the limit set from cosmology (or else some interesting
results will emerge!).
     Regardless of the exact details of cosmological nucleosynthesis, it
remains true that the large amount of helium present in the interstellar
medium (compared to the small amount of heavier atoms) is inexplicable
in terms of any model which tries to explain the composition of the
interstellar medium in terms of nucleosynthesis in stars.
     All of which brings me to my last point.  Doug Gwyn states that
there exist so many objections to the big bang theory as to make it
the theory of last resort.  Just what are these objections?  I haven't
heard any from you that don't boil down to preferring ad hoc
explanations based on nonexistent physics purely because of your ideas
about the kinds of symmetries the universe should have.  It may be
tempting to ascribe to the universe, as to God, the greatest degree
of perfection we can imagine, but I prefer a dialogue with the observations
rather than a diatribe at them.

                     "Just another Cosmic Cowboy"

                         Ethan Vishniac
                         {ut-sally,ut-ngp,kpno}!utastro!ethan