[net.astro.expert] false facts

jay@npois.UUCP (Anton Winteroak) (05/31/85)

	There is an observed temperature difference,in the background
radiation. It is slightly warmer in the direction of the Virgo Cluster.
This is generally regarded as the center of our Supercluster. We also
see that we are moving away from these galaxies less quickly than the
Hubble law would indicate.
	There is *NO* evidence that the center of the Universe is in the
direction of Sagitarius. Anyone making this claim is confusing the center
of the Galaxy with the center of the Universe.
	We definitely know too little to point to the center of the
universe, but we do know that the universes geometry is non-euclidian
on the large scale (even just counting the parts of relativity that we
do know), and that tells us to just be happy that we are the oldest
thing in the universe that we can see, and to just forget it.
	The orientation of Galaxies in clusters IS RANDOM. They are
seen with their edges to the center, and every other orientation.
Furthermore, since sagitarius is in the direction of the center
of our Galaxy, it is obviously not the direction of a line perpendicular
to the plane of our galaxy. That line would point generally in the
direction of Bootes and the tail of Ursa Major. This line does not
intersect the line perpendicular to the plane of Andromeda (M31)
anywhere.
 	Don't believe everything you read.

			Anton Winteroak.

maxg@tekig4.UUCP (Max Guernsey) (06/04/85)

In article <328@npois.UUCP> jay@npois.UUCP (Anton Winteroak) writes:

First off I am not an astronomy expert!

>	We definitely know too little to point to the center of the
>universe, but we do know that the universes geometry is non-euclidian
>on the large scale (even just counting the parts of relativity that we
>do know), and that tells us to just be happy that we are the oldest
                                              huh?

>thing in the universe that we can see, and to just forget it.
                                            why?
> 	Don't believe everything you read.
>
>			Anton Winteroak.

Max Guernsey