[net.astro.expert] Eyepieces

liss@psyche.DEC (Frederick R. Liss 237-3649) (06/04/85)

After a long hiatus I am getting back into astronomy. Sky And Telescope
magazine is completely different from what it was back in the late 50s
and early 60s. Believe it or not, the most confusing thing that I find
today is the advertisements for telescope eyepieces. When I got my first
telescope there were only a few types of eyepieces. I'm not sure of the
spelling or the exact names, but I believe they were the Orthoscopic (?)
and Hyugens (?) eyepieces (correct me if I'm wrong) . Today I see adds
for Nagler, Wide Field, Plossl, and Kelner eyepieces.

What I would like to know is how do all these eyepieces compare in price
and performance. Which ones are suitable for high or low magnification,
field of view, etc. I have also heard that some eyepieces work better
with a refractor than with a reflector. What is your personal
preference? My applications are observation of the Moon as well as the
brighter clusters and nebulas.

			Regards,
				Fred

---
Frederick R. Liss        UUCP ...decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-psyche!liss
Digital Equipment Corp.	 ARPA	 liss%psyche.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
333 South St.    Shrewsbury MA, 01545	Mail Stop SHR1-4/D21

Posted:	Tue 4-Jun-1985 09:35
To:	RHEA::DECWRL::"net.astro.expert"

freeman@spar.UUCP (Jay Freeman) (06/04/85)

In article <2470@decwrl.UUCP> liss@psyche.DEC (Frederick R. Liss 237-3649) writes:

>                             ...  types of eyepieces. I'm not sure of the
>spelling or the exact names, but I believe they were the Orthoscopic (?)
>and Hyugens (?) eyepieces (correct me if I'm wrong) . Today I see adds
>for Nagler, Wide Field, Plossl, and Kelner eyepieces.
>
>What I would like to know is how do all these eyepieces compare in price
>and performance. Which ones are suitable for high or low magnification,
>field of view, etc. I have also heard that some eyepieces work better
>with a refractor than with a reflector. What is your personal
>preference? My applications are observation of the Moon as well as the
>brighter clusters and nebulas.

I am an amateur astronomer with moderate experience with deep-sky observing
(approximately 2500 different objects logged).  Most of my observing is with
a Celestron 14 (14-inch aperture Schmidt-Cassegrain, f/11), most of the rest
with six- and eight-inch f/5 Newtonians.

For deep-sky observing with the C-14 my favorite eyepieces, in order from
most-commonly used to least-commonly used, are

        55 mm Plossl (71X, University Optics, 2-inch barrel)
        12.4 mm Erfle (315X, Meade)
        32 mm Erfle (122X, University Optics, 2-inch barrel)
        20 mm Erfle (196X, Meade)

I use a low power for finding things and general viewing -- 71X is very
nearly a rich-field power on the big Celestron -- then occasionally switch
to more magnification to see detail, resolve stars, or cope with unusual
contrasts.  I have infrequently used 7mm and 4mm Orthoscopics to advantage
with this instrument, on close double stars.

I have sampled a variety of other eyepieces with this instrument in each of
these power ranges.  I advocate these more expensive eyepieces over cheaper
ones (Orthoscopics, Kellners, ...) because of wider apparant fields of view
and freedom from internal reflections.

Image quality is not too much an issue at f/11, except at the very edges
of the field.  Even an inexpensive coated Ramsden half-inch eyepiece
(Jaegers) gave superb definition near the center of its narrow field, and
was in that respect indistinguishable from the most expensive half-inch
eyepieces.  (Actually, it may have been slightly superior, because of
fewer air-glass interfaces.)

I personally have little use for the very-wide-field eyepieces such as the
82-degree apparant-field Naglers:  I find views through them momentarily
spectacular, but have difficulty keeping my eye sufficiently precisely
located to avoid obstructing portions of the field by parts of my own pupil.

With the f/5 Newtonians, my favorite eyepiece for deep-sky work is the
Meade 20mm Erfle mentioned above, closely followed by the best 4mm or 6mm
Orthoscopic I can get my hands on.

At f/5, image quality is everything!  You need the best eyepieces you can
find (read "expensive") to work with a fast Newtonian.  NB:  Occasionally
a specific Kellner will work well with a specific Newtonian -- the 25mm
Kellners that Coulter ships with some of their Dobsons are often
satisfactory.

I have never seen a Barlow lens that was good for much at f/5.  Some of them
work pretty well at longer f numbers, but there you don't usually need them
since there are plenty of short-focal-length eyepieces that will do just as
well.

I have no financial interest, and no axes to grind, with any of the
companies mentioned.
--
Jay Reynolds Freeman (Schlumberger Palo Alto Research)(canonical disclaimer)

chris@leadsv.UUCP (06/06/85)

In article <2470@decwrl.UUCP>, liss@psyche.DEC (Frederick R. Liss 237-3649) writes:
> today is the advertisements for telescope eyepieces. When I got my first
> telescope there were only a few types of eyepieces. I'm not sure of the
> spelling or the exact names, but I believe they were the Orthoscopic (?)
> and Hyugens (?) eyepieces (correct me if I'm wrong) . Today I see adds
> for Nagler, Wide Field, Plossl, and Kelner eyepieces.

	What you are seeing is a variation in the complexity of the
construction of the lenses.  The cheapest lenses (such as Huygens) are
made with one or two simple lens.  Orthoscopic, an expensive brand, is
made of several lenses packed together.  The newer lenses fill in the
gap in between.

	The reasons for different lenses are several:

	1. To offer the customer a variety of price ranges.
	2. To offer different degrees of solution to the various
	   problems associated with lenses.

	One problem is chromatism, or the tendency for the lense to
act like a prism and break up the light of the image, particularly
near the edges.  Some types of lenses are limited in their focusing
power.  All the brands should come in a variety of magnifications
and allow the option for a filter to be installed in the base of
the eyepiece.  Some lenses are better built (shock proof, etc.)
but cost more.

	As far as lenses being matched to a particular type of
telescope, I believe that eyepieces with wider fields are best
used with shorter focal lengths.  There is a maximum practical
eyepiece magnification for a given telescope.  The manual that
comes with it should mention this.  (E.g., a 60mm refractor shouldn't
be used with anything smaller than a 12.5 mm eyepiece. )

	An excellent source for information on telescopes is
Edmund Scientific Co. in New Jersey.  They sell everything associated
with the hobby through a mail order catalog that they put out.

			- Christopher Salander
			Lockheed Space Systems Div.
			Silicon Valley

GMS@psuvm.BITNET (06/07/85)

My personal eyepiece preference is a wide-angle Erfle (28 millimeters)
that (believe it or not) is (or was) manufactured by Edmund Scientific.

I use it with a mead 8" F6 reflector and get excellent wide-field views
(almost 1 degree field) of deep-sky objects.  The only object it is not
ideal for is small planetary nebula of under 1 arcminute in diameter.
For clusters, diffuse nebulae and galaxies it is great!  I have reached
13.5 magnitude (under excellent conditions) with certainty (ie no
averted vision).

It is also great for variable star work, with a field large enough for
comparison stars and makes 'star-hopping' location techniques good also.

Gerry Santoro                  . . . !psuvax1!santoro
Penn State University          . . . !psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!gms

"I may not know whats best but I know what I like!"

tae@rayssd.UUCP (Thomas A. Edler) (06/14/85)

=== REFERENCED ARTICLE ===================================
> From: GMS@psuvm.BITNET
> Newsgroups: net.astro.expert
> Subject: Re: Eyepieces
> Date: Thu, 6-Jun-85 23:16:13 EDT
>
> My personal eyepiece preference is a wide-angle Erfle (28 millimeters)
> that (believe it or not) is (or was) manufactured by Edmund Scientific.
>
> I use it with a mead 8" F6 reflector and get excellent wide-field views
> (almost 1 degree field) of deep-sky objects.  The only object it is not
> ideal for is small planetary nebula of under 1 arcminute in diameter.
> For clusters, diffuse nebulae and galaxies it is great!  I have reached
> 13.5 magnitude (under excellent conditions) with certainty (ie no
> averted vision).
>
> It is also great for variable star work, with a field large enough for
> comparison stars and makes 'star-hopping' location techniques good also.
>
> Gerry Santoro                  . . . !psuvax1!santoro
> Penn State University          . . . !psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!gms
>

> "I may not know whats best but I know what I like!"

tae@rayssd.UUCP (Thomas A. Edler) (06/14/85)

*to who it may concern.

readnews@rayssd.UUCP (USENET Current Events) (06/19/85)

*an interesting opinion!