[net.astro.expert] tc_vlbi #7

wls@astrovax.UUCP (William L. Sebok) (11/04/85)

From: think!mse%Phobos@CIT-Hamlet.ARPA
Date:     Sat, 2 Nov 85 14:05:27 PST

Topic: vlbi, Entry # 7
Date:    Sat, 2 Nov 85 11:03:38 PST
From:    tjp@phobos
Subject: Telescope calibration data
To:      tc_vlbi

>From USA VLBI Network Newsletter 1985-3:

"A format for return of calibration data from telescopes ... will be
considered ... by Walker, Pearson, and Schilizzi."

The Consortium feels that it is important that network antennas provide
calibration data (system temperatures, antenna temperatures, and/or gain
curves) in a standard machine-readable form.  The committee of Walker,
Pearson, and Schilizzi has been asked to make a recommendation for this
standard format.

At present, we are considering a free format (i.e., not fixed columns)
with "header" information provided in the form KEYWORD = VALUE and
extensive data in tabular form;  i.e., something like the format
used as input to the Caltech CAL and AIPS VBCAL programs.  We may also
consider a FITS standard "table" format, however.

We would appreciate comments and suggestions on both the contents of the
file and its format.  Send comments to RCW @ AIPS and TJP @ Phobos; you
can also send comments to this teleconference (tc_vlbi @ Phobos) if you
would like to see a wider discussion.
					- Tim Pearson
--
Bill Sebok			Princeton University, Astrophysics
{allegra,akgua,cbosgd,decvax,ihnp4,noao,philabs,princeton,vax135}!astrovax!wls