[net.astro.expert] Halley's Comment/Feb 12/Isreal

6243tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) (01/10/86)

I am a total astro neophyte that cannot either obtain
the answer (or understand the answer) to this simple
question:
   I will be in Isreal on February 12, and anticipate
   viewing conditions to be better than where I live
   (Northern NJ).  If my premises are correct, where/
   when/how do I spot and photograph Halley's Comet?
   (I know how to do successful star trail photos,
    so I only need detailed location info).
Is it possible to layout a crude starmap as part of
the response?
Thanks in advance.
--
[opinions are obviously only my own;     Terry
 not necessarily those of my asso-       ihnp4!whuts!6243tes

canopus@amdahl.UUCP (Alpha Carinae) (01/13/86)

In article <473@whuts.UUCP>, 6243tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) writes:
>    I will be in Isreal on February 12, and anticipate
>    viewing conditions to be better than where I live
>    (Northern NJ).  If my premises are correct, where/
>    when/how do I spot and photograph Halley's Comet?

It will be difficult to see Comet Halley on Feb 12th because the comet
will be on the opposite side of the sun as viewed from the Earth.  It
will most likely be early March before the comet will be visible again
in the early dawn sky.
--
Frank Dibbell     (408-746-6493)     ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,sun}!amdahl!canopus
Amdahl Corporation, Sunnyvale CA     [This is the obligatory disclaimer..]

anita@utastro.UUCP (Anita Cochran) (01/14/86)

In article <473@whuts.UUCP>, 6243tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) writes:
> I am a total astro neophyte that cannot either obtain
> the answer (or understand the answer) to this simple
> question:
>    I will be in Isreal on February 12, and anticipate
>    viewing conditions to be better than where I live
>    (Northern NJ).  If my premises are correct, where/
>    when/how do I spot and photograph Halley's Comet?
>    (I know how to do successful star trail photos,
>     so I only need detailed location info).
> Is it possible to layout a crude starmap as part of
> the response?
> Thanks in advance.

It is not possible to view Halley's comet at the time you will be in
Israel.  Comet Halley is in orbit around the Sun (just as the Earth
is).  On February 9, it will be at the point in its orbit where it
is closest to the Sun.  Unfortunately, at the time, the Earth will
be on the OPPOSITE side of the sun from the comet so you would
have to look through the Sun to see the comet.  This is not possible.

Here is a VERY crude diagram to illustrate this:
                ...                 The circle of dots is the Earth's
              .     .               orbit around the Sun (*).  On Feb.
             .  -@-  .              12 we will be at the position marked
             . - * - .              with an X.  The part of the ellipse
             -.     .-              marked with - is the comet's orbit
           -    .X.   -             near the Sun.  The @ is the comet's
         -             -            position on Feb. 12.  Notice that the
                                    Sun is between us and Halley (yes we
are both in the same plane (for the moment).
--
 Anita Cochran  uucp:  {noao, ut-sally, ut-ngp}!utastro!anita
                arpa:  anita@astro.UTEXAS.EDU