[net.lang.f77] pc/at, xenix and ratfor

fwy@ecsvax.UUCP (12/28/84)

I've been told that Xenix for the IBM-PC/AT comes with a RATFOR compiler,
which unlike other RATFORs, converts to C source insted of FORTRAN.

Does anyone know more about this?  Is it true?  Has anyone used it?
Is this true for Xenix on other machines?

frodo@wlcrjs.UUCP (James M. Scardelis) (12/29/84)

In article <420@ecsvax.UUCP> fwy@ecsvax.UUCP writes:
>I've been told that Xenix for the IBM-PC/AT comes with a RATFOR compiler,
>which unlike other RATFORs, converts to C source insted of FORTRAN.
>
>Does anyone know more about this?  Is it true?  Has anyone used it?
>Is this true for Xenix on other machines?

If you look at the manual entry for RATFOR in the Xenix Software Commands
Guide, provided with PC/AT Xenix, a note at the end says:

	This program generates C source code which in segmented
	memory systems can only be used as a small model program.

or something to that effect. All of the manual entries for things which
generate code say the same thing (probably a troff macro).

However, when I tried out the Ratfor, {Not knowing much Ratfor, of course}
the stuff coming out certainly looked like FORTRAN.

If someone would provide me with a sample RATFOR program, I'll run it through
the compiler and post the output I get.

		-Jim Scardelis
--
	"One day...I Shall come back...